100% to dead in 4 hours on standby.

eajonesNOTE

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
:'( I was doing homework late last night and was using my phone to send the occasional text. I had it on the charger while doing homework at my desk. Right before I went to bed the phone got to 100% charge and in the notification window said to unplug. I knew I could just leave it plugged in but the cord was hard to unplug from behind the desk and I was tired so I left the charger and brought my phone to bed. I thought nothing of it bc my old iphone would drain very little over night and wouldn't effect the battery life through the day. I went to bed at 2 and woke up at 7:30 only to find my phone completely dead and unable to turn on. At first I thought my phone had just froze up while it was on standby but after taking the battery out and reinserting it nothing happened. I plugged it in and was really surprised to see it was dead. After the phone came back on I quickly opened the battery screen to see what drained it and found standby was the biggest factor. I uploaded some screen shots that might help someone answer why it did this. I just bought this phone Friday and its my first android phone ever and I'm trying to figure out if i need to return it. Thanks ahead of time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-20-07-53-18.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-11-20-07-53-18.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_2013-11-20-07-53-08.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-11-20-07-53-08.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_2013-11-20-07-52-46.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-20-07-52-46.png
    149.3 KB · Views: 38

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
First, I would download Wake lock detector from the Play Store, it's free. Second, I would turn off GPS if you're not using it.

While the battery drain is severe and unusual, it is not normal or indicative of the Note 3 battery life in general. A lot of times, there is a rogue app that is the culprit. On my husband's phone it was Jango, which was installed but never opened and it drained his battery in 6 hours while at work.

Here's what i would do, others will have their suggestions as well...

Turn off 3G/4G when you're not using it, like at night when charging.

Turn off wifi at night

Turn off Location Services at night, re-enable during the day if needed

Download Wakelock Detector here

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=com.uzumapps.wakelockdetector&token=Smf5Ee_t

Turn off updates for Facebook, Twitter, Gmail and update manually.

Some people do not like to disable a lot of the things I mentioned, feeling that it defeats the purpose of a smart phone. I've done all of the things I've listed and I'm used to manually switching things on/off. You should get an easy 12-18 hours of battery life and 4-6 hours of on screen time.

Manual switching is a decision you'll have to make for yourself. Good luck! :)

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
:'( I was doing homework late last night and was using my phone to send the occasional text. I had it on the charger while doing homework at my desk. Right before I went to bed the phone got to 100% charge and in the notification window said to unplug. I knew I could just leave it plugged in but the cord was hard to unplug from behind the desk and I was tired so I left the charger and brought my phone to bed. I thought nothing of it bc my old iphone would drain very little over night and wouldn't effect the battery life through the day. I went to bed at 2 and woke up at 7:30 only to find my phone completely dead and unable to turn on. At first I thought my phone had just froze up while it was on standby but after taking the battery out and reinserting it nothing happened. I plugged it in and was really surprised to see it was dead. After the phone came back on I quickly opened the battery screen to see what drained it and found standby was the biggest factor. I uploaded some screen shots that might help someone answer why it did this. I just bought this phone Friday and its my first android phone ever and I'm trying to figure out if i need to return it. Thanks ahead of time.

Welcome to the forums.
You can possibly try to clear cache in recovery. This should work for the Note 3: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
I am only on my third day of owning the note 3 so far so good. I am sure a forum pro will respond with what could cause this outside of the obvious app or rogue processing going on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I am only on my third day of owning the note 3 so far so good. I am sure a forum pro will respond with what could cause this outside of the obvious app or rogue processing going on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

By the look of the graphs, the phone was not in use but drained rapidly. I would also get the Gsam Battery app and check that phone signal strength over the time period. Poor signal will drain battery faster than anything.

Sorry, not a 'forum pro', just another owner of a Note 3.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
It shouldn't be necessary to turn off any services or social-network updating. The power drain you're seeing is abnormal. If rebooting your phone doesn't fix it, try a factory reset and see what happens without downloading any apps. If the battery doesn't get you through a whole day with at least moderate usage, then your phone is defective and should be exchanged. (I'm assuming you're not rooted or anything.)