Smart watches

Photon4glover

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Okay I plan on picking up a note 3 around holidays.. Would you guys recommend pebble or the gear? And why

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

JoeyyNY

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Well the Gear is a companion to the note 3 so you will get the best out of the Gear.

Sent by the Best phone to live NOTE 3

FLRubi

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I have a Pebble and thoroughly enjoy it. One of the main reasons I chose Peeble was for the excellent battery life. They claim you can go 7 days between charges but I've never waited that long to charge. I generally recharge on a Sun night and then sometimes during the week like on Thur. Plus I like not having to push a button to see the time. The Peeble isn't in color and you don't have all of the features like Gear but the Peeble is also considerably cheaper. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app

FLRubi

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Oh and another feature I really like on Peeble is the ability to easily create new watch faces. Not sure if you can do that on Gear. It's nice messing around with the watch face and knowing you've created one that no one else is sporting around. I'm a Jeep guy and put the jeep logo in the center of the watch face and then include the time, date, battery level of my phone and local temp and weather conditions where I happen to be at the time. I always get asked what kind of watch i have. But maybe Gear can do that too?

JeffreyB687

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Galaxy Gear: Just not ready yet - at any price.
Pebble: Have one. It is very reliable, but boring.
Metawatch: Have one: Love/hate thing. Not terribly reliable. Locks up a LOT. Loses connection etc. Love how you can display four things on each of four screens. Sits on a shelf.
Sony 1: Have one. YECH! I hope one of my dogs ate it!
Sony 2: Have one. Love it! Color, waterproof, my battery lasts at least four days. I use the app Augmented Smartwatch to really make this watch dance!

UsedName

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I have the Gear and its great!
The display is amazing and it can only get better with more apps and updates which it gets. If you really want to take it to the next level of wearable tech you can root it and place custom ROMs on it just like an Android device which it is. Sure the Gear battery doesn't last for days but its reasonable for such a device it is....most of the time I can get two days out of it. Anyway, I have the Gear and it gets alot of attention from strangers asking me "is that the new phone watch?" ....also my friends with the Pebble watch is jealous of it because it can take phone calls, texts and it takes pic/vids! :D

FLRubi

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Does the Gear show the time as a default or do you have to push a button to display it? Also, how is the display outdoors in the sunshine? Thanks.

UsedName

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Does the Gear show the time as a default or do you have to push a button to display it? Also, how is the display outdoors in the sunshine? Thanks.

Yes the Gear shows the time as default and it does have a wake up gesture that tuns on by raising up your wrest to eye level. The display brightness is suitable for outdoors in the sunshine....it has a outdoor brightness level.

Mickeywdw1254

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The gear is AWESOME if you know what you are doing
qeqyzyse.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Sonnydigs

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Never considered the Gear Watch till my friend got one..
I was very impressed with the build quality and functions it can perform..
Now a must get one, for me..
Sonny

scfoster

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Purchased a Pebble, as my Note3 hasn't arrived and the S4 Active won't get a software version update until the 24th at the earliest (thanks a lot AT&T).

The build quality on the pebble isn't that great. Looks like one of my kids glued it together. For $119, you get about 1/3 the functionality promised by the Gear.

One thing that's a real issue is the size of the font and screen brightness for aging eyes. I don't normally wear reading glasses but with the pebble, I can't read the small messaging type other than in really bright lighting.

The ability to root the Gear definitely has my interest. I just have issues paying $300 for the watch.

scfoster

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
The Pebble is going to be returned. I just can't read the email messages (combination of small font and poor lighting) without a significant amount of difficulty.

Stopped by BestBuy today and talked them into selling me an "open box" Galaxy Gear for $249. Still a steep price but better than $300. They are offering the $250 price if you buy a Note 3 so I didn't think it would be impossible to get the deal.

Build quality of the Gear is a heck of a lot nicer than the Pebble. I think the Pebble is a good product (at almost 1/3 the price) but it didn't work for me. I love the screen on the Gear. Easy to read with the normal font size. Will be interesting to see how well the battery holds up.

barskin

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Well, I think the Smart Watch is a cool idea, but...well, I'm a watch collector. I have about 75 watches, many of them mechanical, all of them beautiful. It is impossible for me to imagine wearing the same watch every day. It would be like carrying the same handbag very day. Just can't do it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz