dialer links and unread counts

lockon

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,
I just got a Note 3 coming from a Blackberry 9800... I have to say, I'm a bit frustrated that Android lacks so many things we took for granted on Blackberry like true global phone search, unread message counts and automatic dialer links in any app.

So, two major issues I have now:

- Using the built-in Email client on Android, the icon on my home screen does not show the unread message count in a red circle. My friend's AT&T Galaxy S III does - same OS : 4.3. Anyone know how to enable it? (BTW, right now I have K-9 installed which does show the message counts, but I don't want to use K-9 for Exchange email other reasons.

- When I'm in Chrome I can quickly touch a phone number and the dialer pops up (not intuitive at all BTW). How can I enable the same functionality globally? For example in K-9 or other apps?

Thanks

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central and the world of Android :)

You're right, Android does not handle numbers too well in terms of making numbers linkable to click and automatically open in the dialer app globally. Although it's not intuitive, you'll have to long press on the number, which should highlight it, and copy for pasting in the Dialer App.

Regarding notifications, the stock clients don't provide the number count. Apps exists in the Play Store to set a missed call/text or unread email count as a widget. Just download and install an app/widget of your choice for the service you are using and set that on the homescreen instead of the normal app icon.

Again, I agree with you that these are probably simple things to include. Why they are not I can't answer and hope these two things don't sour your taste for Android.

kentuc794

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I use Apex Launcher and Apex notifier and it will show me message counts.
uzy4e7ad.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

vsnlweb

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Quick note. Android does link to numbers, the way it's handled is done purposely because of the patent apple has so that when you hit a number it gives you an option to call it. Android in other words is not allowed to handle it any other way...

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy