New Note 3 Owner

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Finally got me a Note 3 last Sunday and I couldn't be happier. I've had my eye on the Notes from the very beginning and have yet to figure out why I waited this long to get one given I've always wanted one. Anyway, this is my bazzilionth phone so I know a little something about them. I've had them all from Android to iPhone to Blackberry and Windows Phone 8. I can promise I can find something to love about all of them. That said, this is by far the one phone that comes closest to doing everything I would want to do on a phone and with a size that is perfect for me (old eyes). I could care less about all the reviews knocking the plastic. As far as I'm concerned, it looks great, feels great and does everything I could want. What's not to like? In the 5 days I've had it, I can find only one fault (if that) and that is that the S Voice seems to think that I want to talk to it on a regular basis (silly phone). It has a tendancy to start talking to me when I'm having conversations with someone else (very rude). I've been going thru the pdf manual page by page trying to learn everything so I can get my considerable money's worth out of this beast. Again, very happy.

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Welcome and congrats. You'll grow to love it more and more each day. There's always going to be something new to discover.

Sonnydigs

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Glad you like it... It is the best smart phone I've ever owned also..
Like you that stupid S Voice is annoying.. It will even talk to the TV while laying there..
Hopefully this will be fixed in the next update.. I can live with it, but would be nice if it is fixed..

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Like you I find the Note 3 to be the best phone/tablet going. Since I got it last October I have given away my Tab 7 and Tab 10.1 to my kids and the S3, S4, and Note 8 are sitting a drawer. No need for a second phone or tablet with a Note 3 in my pocket. And like you I also find new things to do with it every day.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Like you I find the Note 3 to be the best phone/tablet going. Since I got it last October I have given away my Tab 7 and Tab 10.1 to my kids and the S3, S4, and Note 8 are sitting a drawer. No need for a second phone or tablet with a Note 3 in my pocket. And like you I also find new things to do with it every day.

I also got rid of all my other devices with the exception of my Kindle Paperwhite which I also love. That's it though. No more tablets for me. Life is Good!

Connie Litrenta

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I figured the only way to really learn this phone was to sit down in front of the computer and read the manual while I tried stuff. It was this method that allowed me to discover a very interesting feature. There are certain things you can hover your pen over which will turn the cursor a solid pulsating blue. When this happens, clicking the pen button will initiate another action. In the case of a picture in the gallery, it will bring up a mini menu that allows you to perform certain things with the picture such as editing or sharing. If you do this in a new email over the recipient button, it will present you with a list of recent addressees in case you want to use one. Smart. Very smart.

GadgetMomma

Jan 28, 2010
jennbailey0706.wordpress.com
I figured the only way to really learn this phone was to sit down in front of the computer and read the manual while I tried stuff. It was this method that allowed me to discover a very interesting feature. There are certain things you can hover your pen over which will turn the cursor a solid pulsating blue. When this happens, clicking the pen button will initiate another action. In the case of a picture in the gallery, it will bring up a mini menu that allows you to perform certain things with the picture such as editing or sharing. If you do this in a new email over the recipient button, it will present you with a list of recent addressees in case you want to use one. Smart. Very smart.

That's brilliant! Thanks for sharing!

droidguy15

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Congrats on your new phone, I too, just upgraded from the S4 and I love it. I can't believe that I was apprehensive about it. The nice big screen with the S-Pen are a nice addition. I really like the S-Note feature. It's a great phone. I am very happy with it.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Congrats on your new phone, I too, just upgraded from the S4 and I love it. I can't believe that I was apprehensive about it. The nice big screen with the S-Pen are a nice addition. I really like the S-Note feature. It's a great phone. I am very happy with it.

I guess you never know how you'll like a phablet until you get one. I always wanted one but wondered if there would be any negatives to it. NOPE. There is pretty much nothing I don't like about this phone. It does more things than any other phone I've owned and comes closest to doing everything I might want it to do (short of cooking me dinner). A lot of phones cost the price of a desktop if you bought them full price but at this one actually gives you almost as much as a desktop does. I think when KitKat comes out, I can add even more to that because I believe it is supposed to have some native support for printing wirelessly, the one real area where smart phones need to get better.

Sonnydigs

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Tons of YouTube videos on all the features and how to's..
Just pause the video and try it as you go along..
It was a great way to learn it for me..

lang007

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I just got my Note 3 on Saturday left my Blackberry Z10. There is a learning curve but I will give it another week b4 i judge the phone

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I just got my Note 3 on Saturday left my Blackberry Z10. There is a learning curve but I will give it another week b4 i judge the phone

There is a learning curve but I sure didn't need a week to what I thought. I knew after one day it was the only phone for me. Yes, there is a lot to learn but only because it can do so much. That's actually why some people don't like Android. Most of the high end phones I've seen have more settings than you can imagine. It takes someone with time and desire to sit there and go through it all to see what all it can do and get it to where you want it. Many people (my sister, my daughter and others) just don't have the desire to do that. Those people are why they make iPhones. In fact, even the Windows Phones are pretty simple to learn. Android will NEVER be that. Just to many things you can do. If that isn't your "cup of tea" as they say, then you may not like it.

lang007

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
There is a learning curve but I sure didn't need a week to what I thought. I knew after one day it was the only phone for me. Yes, there is a lot to learn but only because it can do so much. That's actually why some people don't like Android. Most of the high end phones I've seen have more settings than you can imagine. It takes someone with time and desire to sit there and go through it all to see what all it can do and get it to where you want it. Many people (my sister, my daughter and others) just don't have the desire to do that. Those people are why they make iPhones. In fact, even the Windows Phones are pretty simple to learn. Android will NEVER be that. Just to many things you can do. If that isn't your "cup of tea" as they say, then you may not like it.

So far so good I will be siting down tonight going through more things. But it is looking like a keeper so far

fantom555

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
how is with doing spreadsheets i am looking at the note 3 and i do a lot of spreadsheet edits in excel. i also read pdf's and word docs most of the time and use the web browser. i am not looking at this as a daily i am looking at this as my office lol.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
how is with doing spreadsheets i am looking at the note 3 and i do a lot of spreadsheet edits in excel. i also read pdf's and word docs most of the time and use the web browser. i am not looking at this as a daily i am looking at this as my office lol.

Doing spreadsheets is fairly easy and certainly easier than on a smaller phone. Face it, working with any Office documents will be much easier on this phone than any other non-phablet but let me also say that using the right app is important as well. I use Documents to Go simply because that's what I've used forever. I really can't comment on Polaris Office 5 which comes with the Note since I don't use it. What little I have seen, it seems to be fine though. I may need to check that out though in the interest of fairness and who knows, maybe I'll discover I like it better. DTG full version costs money so in the interest of saving money on future updates, this may be a solution.

UPDATE: Polaris Office 5 seems fine however it does not appear to offer the ability to save to one of the cloud drives although I'm sure you could upload from that app. Documents to Go does offer the option of saving locally or to Google Drive. DTG also has a Desktop App that can sync with your phone which is really nice.

Last edited: