Better battery life Note 3 or One M8 ?

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I am thinking of upgrading from my S4, which gets middle of the raod battery life, like 4.5h On Screen time. I am looking for something that gets 6h On Screen time minimum. I am thinking either the Note 3 or One M8. I want better battery life #1, and a good screen for outdoor use #2, and just an overall speedier / faster phone. Which phone gives better battery life ? A rooted and ROM'd new One M8 ? Or a ROM'd Note 3 ?

But I am disappointed with the U.S. carriers + Samsung for being Nazis and locking this Note 3 down so tight, that sucks to see. I have my S4 rooted, with all the good tweaks that come with rooting, like removing all the garbage bloatware, and apps like AdAway, Greenify, etc... And Wanam Xposed.

Thank you.

P.S. I played with an S5 at the store, and really liked the revised looking Touchwiz, looks much much better flat now, and the Phone and Contacts apps seemed way faster, and just different in a good way, compared to my S4. Would love to see the Note 3 with the S5 .apk's.

PxuLL

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I am thinking of upgrading from my S4, which gets middle of the raod battery life, like 4.5h On Screen time. I am looking for something that gets 6h On Screen time minimum. I am thinking either the Note 3 or One M8. I want better battery life #1, and a good screen for outdoor use #2, and just an overall speedier / faster phone. Which phone gives better battery life ? A rooted and ROM'd new One M8 ? Or a ROM'd Note 3 ?

But I am disappointed with the U.S. carriers + Samsung for being Nazis and locking this Note 3 down so tight, that sucks to see. I have my S4 rooted, with all the good tweaks that come with rooting, like removing all the garbage bloatware, and apps like AdAway, Greenify, etc... And Wanam Xposed.

Thank you.

P.S. I played with an S5 at the store, and really liked the revised looking Touchwiz, looks much much better flat now, and the Phone and Contacts apps seemed way faster, and just different in a good way, compared to my S4. Would love to see the Note 3 with the S5 .apk's.

Go ahead and compare ;)

N3.png

Source: PhoneArena

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I can say I used my GN3 a lot each day, games, web, etc and I still had plenty of battery life left over. Plus with Samsung you get a 50% off code (or two) and you can get a spare battery/charger bundle for $25 plus shipping and that will double your day.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Battery charge time depends on a few things - the phone, which apps you run, your usage pattern, your charge pattern. I can get 4 days on a charge on a Note 3, and I can have a day where I have to switch batteries mid-day. (I'm not sure if the M8 has a replaceable battery - if not I wouldn't touch it, which is why I have the Note 3, not the Nexus 5.) Just run Greenify and you'll get better battery life if you hibernate everything that doesn't have to be active (which is just about every app in the phone).

A real head-to-head battery test would take at least a month, and it wouldn't be exhaustive, just fairly representational. The tests you see are comparing one phone in one configuration with one usage pattern and one charge pattern against another phone with similar configuration with usage and charge patterns that may or may not even be close. (Were both batteries even conditioned before the test? Was only one conditioned? Were neither conditioned? An unconditioned battery that's been sitting on the shelf for 6 months will give you TERRIBLE charge to charge times, even if you just leave the phone sleeping.)

It's like comparing 2 cars by measuring how low the car sinks when you put 100 pounds in the back seat. It's a comparison, but it doesn't tell you much. It certainly doesn't tell you which one will give longer charge times when YOU use the phones.

The order of choice for a phone is:

Carrier. If there's no signal where you need to use a phone, the best phone in the world is a paper weight.
Price range. If you can't afford it, it doesn't matter how good it is.
Features. That includes things like battery life, S-Pen, display, water resistance, ability to change batteries.

But the features are the last thing to consider. I used to sell Nextel, Sprint, AT&T, Cingular, T-Mobile and a little local carrier I can't even remember the name of right now. (I used to not sell Verizon about says it.) I wouldn't sell a Nextel phone to people living in a particular village. For some reason, Nextel had about 2 spots, about a foot across, in that village where you could detect any signal at all. The carrier was useless in that village. Great phones (they had one we used to throw at the wall to show how tough it was - never broke one. And the demo sat in a 10 gallon fish tank full of water - turned on and working.) but useless if you lived in that village.

Another consideration (if the phone's back comes off) is a larger battery. It takes longer to charge, but it lasts longer between charges. Or a portable battery that acts as a "charger". Or a spare battery or two. There are many ways to skin this particular cat - "which phone" is one of the minor ones. If all other things were equal, and I were buying today, the "welded shut" philosophy of the Note 3 would probably lead me to buy an M8 if the battery was replaceable. I prefer a phone my way. If I wanted a locked-down phone, I'd buy an iPhone.

Zacharyw70

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
I've heard the HTC M8 battery is usually good, but I'm extremely impressed with the Note 3's battery so far. I got my phone Wednesday so I still have been breaking it in, but even on 4.4.2 (Which a lot of AT&T people say sucks) I've gotten great battery life.

Took phone off Yesterday at 11AM, did usual course of social networking, playing some games, browsing Chrome, and Youtube, and I also did a fairly heavy amount of multitasking (Just learned about S-Box), and that night I decided to skip the charger to test the phone out. Now it's 5:50PM today and after going out for a run with music playing, and constantly clicking the phone on and off (I hate some songs I keep in my playlist) the phone is still at 33%.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay