screen does not come back on after call ends

jsreen

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Like the title says. I answer a call, talk to the person and when we say our goodbyes and I pull the phone away from my ear it stays off. It obviously works fine shutting off when next to my ear, just not the hanging up part. I have a proper screen saver on (all sensors uncovered) but mo luck. I don't do a ton of phone time and alot of the time I'm on speaker, but I could swear it worked correctly in the past where the screen would come back on so I could hang up. I've been having to push the home button to bring the screen back up to hang up. Thoughts or suggestions?? Thanks.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does the Note 3 have a proximity sensor that is located in a little recessed pinhole near the earpiece? If so, there might be some lint or debris stuck in there that is making the sensor malfunction intermittently. Try blowing the earpiece area out with compressed air.

jsreen

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Sensor is clear and not covered by screen saver. Not sure why it won't come back in on when I pull the phone away from my ear.

jsreen

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Having a similar problem occasionally. Happened recently.

Well, I ended up just blowing in the ear piece a few times and that worked. Must have been some dust on the sensor. I read up on this and that seems to be a flaw on this device. You can test your sensor by dialing *#0*# and selecting the sensor option. I did this after "fixing" my issue. Move your hand over the sensor and as you get close the screen turns green and vibrates. As you move away it turns white and you see info running about the different sensors. Anyhow, that was my fix. We'll see how long it lasts.

almarsh78

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same problem. I used the diagnostic tool and when I get close to the sensor it goes green like it should. However when I move away it does not go back white, it stays green as if it does not recognize that I have moved away from the screen. The sensor is not dirty so I am not sure why this is happening.

docrobotwho

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Well, I ended up just blowing in the ear piece a few times and that worked. Must have been some dust on the sensor. I read up on this and that seems to be a flaw on this device. You can test your sensor by dialing *#0*# and selecting the sensor option. I did this after "fixing" my issue. Move your hand over the sensor and as you get close the screen turns green and vibrates. As you move away it turns white and you see info running about the different sensors. Anyhow, that was my fix. We'll see how long it lasts.

Cool. I'm not sure what I am supposed to do with the info on the diagnostic, but I feel like I've looked inside the matrix and lived to tell the tale. (It seemed to be acting normally)

I've also now blown into the ear piece. Since I've had the problem intermittently, I will be on lookout over next few days as to whether that worked.

Thanks for the tip.

jsreen

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Even though the sensor doesn't look dirty, it probably is. Try and get some air in there and see what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol