Note 3. Things that bug me, in case Samsung wants improvement ideas

docrobotwho

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm a heavy user of technology but not someone who wants to, let alone enjoys, fiddling around behind the control panel. I just want technology to be Easy to use and EASY to customize if necessary to do the things I want it to do to make my life easier and my user experience as intuitive as possible. Here are some things that, after a year of use, still frustrate me about my Note 3.

- Raised (vs concave) Home button - more likely too be accidentally pushed due to pressure in my purse etc

- Home button. - hard to use quickly when using the stylus. Would be cool if there was a divit (sp?) where the stylus could "land" while swiping, to more easily "find" and push the button while swiping with stylus

- app/window switching: wish I could 4-finger swipe across the screen to quickly switch thru the currently open windows (as on my old iPad). Too much flow-interruption to press, hold the home button (especially while using the stylus, see above), wait for the tile of open windows then scroll and select.

- want easier, faster, tactile access to Google search. Ideas: double tap Home or swipe up to get to Google, awesome! (I once tried to figure out if this was possible and believe I learned it was not; if I'm incorrect I would love too be corrected)

- generally, being able to program what happens when I double or triple tap Home button would be awesome-- triple tap brings me to calendar, double tap brings me to Google or contacts.... Would make me a happy happy woman

- a virtual, permanent, volume control slider accessible from the pull-down menu. Seems like a no-brainer but I haven't figured out how to make this happen. It's flow-interruptive to have to switch from virtual to hardware controls, and the case I use (which I like for other reasons) isn't the best for fine-tune control.

- placement of power and volume control buttons opposite each other makes for accidental activations common. Move the volume to same side as power or put power button at the top of unit.

- full screen rotation - upside down, the screen doesn't flip. Problematic when you have the unit plugged in and trying to use it in portrait mode. Cord, at the bottom of the unit, gets in the way.

- a way to lock the screen into landscape mode (I have a feeling this is just something that exists but I just haven't learned how to do? I hope?)

I hope to update this as I think of things. If anyone knows fixes our workarounds for the fixable/nonhardware issues, please do share! (Remember I'm just a user, not an under-the-hood tinkerer). Thanks!

Posted via Android Central App

bobbysnj

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I'm a heavy user of technology but not someone who wants to, let alone enjoys, fiddling around behind the control panel. I just want technology to be Easy to use and EASY to customize if necessary to do the things I want it to do to make my life easier and my user experience as intuitive as possible. Here are some things that, after a year of use, still frustrate me about my Note 3.

- Raised (vs concave) Home button - more likely too be accidentally pushed due to pressure in my purse etc

- Home button. - hard to use quickly when using the stylus. Would be cool if there was a divit (sp?) where the stylus could "land" while swiping, to more easily "find" and push the button while swiping with stylus

- app/window switching: wish I could 4-finger swipe across the screen to quickly switch thru the currently open windows (as on my old iPad). Too much flow-interruption to press, hold the home button (especially while using the stylus, see above), wait for the tile of open windows then scroll and select.

- want easier, faster, tactile access to Google search. Ideas: double tap Home or swipe up to get to Google, awesome! (I once tried to figure out if this was possible and believe I learned it was not; if I'm incorrect I would love too be corrected)

- generally, being able to program what happens when I double or triple tap Home button would be awesome-- triple tap brings me to calendar, double tap brings me to Google or contacts.... Would make me a happy happy woman

- a virtual, permanent, volume control slider accessible from the pull-down menu. Seems like a no-brainer but I haven't figured out how to make this happen. It's flow-interruptive to have to switch from virtual to hardware controls, and the case I use (which I like for other reasons) isn't the best for fine-tune control.

- placement of power and volume control buttons opposite each other makes for accidental activations common. Move the volume to same side as power or put power button at the top of unit.

- full screen rotation - upside down, the screen doesn't flip. Problematic when you have the unit plugged in and trying to use it in portrait mode. Cord, at the bottom of the unit, gets in the way.

- a way to lock the screen into landscape mode (I have a feeling this is just something that exists but I just haven't learned how to do? I hope?)

I hope to update this as I think of things. If anyone knows fixes our workarounds for the fixable/nonhardware issues, please do share! (Remember I'm just a user, not an under-the-hood tinkerer). Thanks!

On a phone this size power button at top isn't practical. I have very large hands and even I wouldn't be able to reach it using one hand. I constantly use the power button and find its current placement ideal.

4runnerbrett

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Actually i usually hold my phone with left hand anyways so my thumb can reach volume keys but pushing power off button is pushed by free hand. But i have no issues with were the power button is at now and prefer it on side.

Posted via the Android Central App

electrofryed

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm with you on the home button. I have mine recessed due a tempered glass screen protector. (it's much thicker than the normal ones)

(((Super Nerdified 4.4.2 Note 3 n900a
Dual boot thanks to Safestrap
FireKat v11
DynamicKat GPE v6.1
bobcatroms awesome theme with my own personal touch.

Who's the genius who thought blinding me at night with ugly white screens was a good idea? Thank you devs who know how to black out/invert.)))

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463