S pen problems

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem and I am still on KitKat. Makes me wonder if some samsung or carrier update disabled it. I even bought and tried a new pen and still the button won't work.

Matt Behnken

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
After the lolipop update my s pen button doesn't work when I push it . Is that correct or is something wrong.

Just checking the obvious but Air Command is turned ON in settings right? It's under controls in the settings app.

Posted via Android Central App

racrgrl

May 23, 2012
Visit site
Omg.....this is why I love these forums, because sometimes the simplest of things can't stump you, yep that's what it was. Thanks!!!!

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here and my Air Command setting Is enabled. The air command opens up at the start, I select image clip, but if I've messed up and need to start over pressing the button doesn't open up the air command anymore. If this function has been changed by Samsung with the latest lollipop update then I'm going to be really mad. The whole idea of having this phone was for the S pen since I'm an HTML Designer and need a phablet.

Posted via the Android Central App

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Same problem here and my Air Command setting Is enabled. The air command opens up at the start, I select image clip, but if I've messed up and need to start over pressing the button doesn't open up the air command anymore. If this function has been changed by Samsung with the latest lollipop update then I'm going to be really mad. The whole idea of having this phone was for the S pen since I'm an HTML Designer and need a phablet.

This is going to sound silly, but I had the same problem with my phone. Everyone kept saying "to activate the air command window, hold the button on the s pen and double tap the screen". That didn't work on my phone. Then I found that if I hovered the tip of the pen over the screen and double tapped the button on the s pen, air command would open up. I have no idea why our what changed. But it made it a whole lot easier.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Then I found that if I hovered the tip of the pen over the screen and double tapped the button on the s pen, air command would open up. I have no idea why our what changed. But it made it a whole lot easier.
- Nope does NOT work for me either.

Detachment Options , I have it set for Air Command. SOMETIMES when hovering pen over screen and clicking button it opens up MEMO. I will try restarting phone and see if that fixes it. If not, I'm considering Note 4.

Update -Restarted phone and Still same as above is happening.

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
It's nothing to do with the Lollipop update. I have the same problem and I'm still on KitKat 4.4.2. Pretty annoying how it just stopped working.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know If they will fix the S Pen issue in a future update?? Getting tired of pulling the pen out multiple times when the device gets slow at making a decision with the action command.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
May be nothing but I was thinking I had a problem with my s-pen. I was under the impression to get the menu to pop I had to hold the button. It wouldn't work. I did a factory reset and still a no go.

What I have found is that what is really need is a quick press and release of the pen button then the menu pops every time. Not sure if you are thinking the same way or not but it certainly won't pop if you press and hold.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Surprisingly, my issue was fixed after an upgrade to Lollipop. May be the only thing I like about it.

I'm On Lollipop and I still have that issue. I did come across another thread from someone with a different device and they are having the same issue.

*Update* - somehow my Air Pen setting had been turned off and THAT'S why Air Command would never load after pressing the button.
Turned it on and Walla,
NOW it works.

Last edited:

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
How is the S Pen supposed to behave anyway?
I dont believe I've ever got it to function "properly", either under KK or LP.
Mine acts like this - when the pen is in its holder I slip it out and the menu icon appears, I can select memo (for instance) and that invokes S Note. But once I've done a save no combination of gestures or taps recalls the menu.
Also the pen notification doesn't kick in until I've walked quite a ways away from where I've left the pen.
Have I got Air Command ON but still missed a setting?

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Mine acts like this - when the pen is in its holder I slip it out and the menu icon appears, I can select memo (for instance) and that invokes S Note. But once I've done a save no combination of gestures or taps recalls the menu.
Also the pen notification doesn't kick in until I've walked quite a ways away from where I've left the pen.

Hmmm...perhaps you should watch this tricks and tips video about the S pen.

Galaxy Note 3 S Pen Features Tips & Tricks: https://youtu.be/tg20gh5W3yM

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site

Mine has done something similar and it took a while to figure it out. Same thing, pull the pen, menu pops up. Select option. But like you, noting would get the menu to come back on short of putting the pen back in and removing out again. Everyone said to hold the pen button down and double tap the screen. Wouldn't work on mine. I'd occasionally get the menu to pop up. Then I tried something. I touched the pen to the screen and double tap the pen button. Works every time for me. No idea why mine is acting different. But it works.

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Touching the pen to the screen and tapping the pen button twice didn't work either.
I'd have to say that's also rather awkward to actually do.
Its got to be something I've set in the pen setup but I don't even know where to look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12