Wi-Fi Issues at a Hotel

greasegizzard

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
My phone and my tablet are experiencing some Wi-fi issues. My phone (Note 3 N9000A running 5.0) will connect to the Wi-fi in the hotel I'm staying at. Google will load search results page, but no links will load. Web pages won't load when I type the address in, either. Both work fine at my house. The hotel has restarted router and modem. Ive restarted both phone and tablet. I've used forget network on both. MyTab S will not connect to the network. It says "AP currently not in use. Internet connection too slow."

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Ask if they can connect to the router (or give you the router login and password) and check the wifi encryption on the router. If it's TKIP (or TKIP+AES), a lot of Android devices are going to be having problems. It's not a failure to connect, it's a failure to connect in one lifetime - the connection makes the Pony Express look fast for electronic communications. The router should be set to AES encryption and restarted (pull the power, wait 15 seconds, plug it back in). (Some guests might be connected - they'll lose the connection for those 15 seconds and may have to "forget" it and connect again. The hotel's printer, if it's connected by wifi, will also have to be connected again.)

If they're using a good router, though (Linksys, usually the best router, is the worst offender), even AES may not work much faster. (The "El Cheapo" Netgear WNR2000, normally something you'd use on a trip so you wouldn't care if it got damaged or lost, works just fine at full speed, but is a bit slow if they're using a single router to cover an entire hotel, which some of them do [and shouldn't be doing].)

One of these days we'll come up with a word that means "everyone does it the same way" - "standard" doesn't mean that any more. Android TKIP implementation is different than what most manufacturers are doing. It's like 5 volt, 3 pin "RS-232C", which anyone who understands standards doesn't even consider a joke (it has to be a lot closer to the standard to even be a joke).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish