50 GHz went away?

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Today I noticed that my Note 3 is not displaying the 50 GHz signal from our home router.
The signal is not being displayed in the WIFI drop down list nor showing up in the utility "WiFi Analyzer".
I don't _think_ I changed any setting or installed/uninstalled something that would have this result.
What did I experience ?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I've never noticed a speed notification on Wifi in my Note 3 - just the wifi symbol. What carrier are you on and is your phone running the stock ROM (probably if you're on AT&T - even the custom ROMs are modified stock ROMs)?

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
We are plain vanilla AT&T account and and my Note3 has the stock ROM.
Wife has iPhone (2.4 GHz only, I think).
Not too long ago I could access a list of WiFi signals by a long (?) press on the WiFi symbol in the upper right corner. And both the 2.4 & the 5.0 GHz signals from our home ASUS 66RT router would be available to me, I could switch back and forth.
How did that change? Now I only see the 2.4 GHz signal.
And the utility I have installed, "WiFi Analyzer" doesn't show a 5.0 GHz signal. It did previously.
So three questions:
Is it possible to block the 5.0 GHz sign by turning off the antenna in the phone?
Where is that setting?
How can I test the router's wireless output to see if the problem is in the router?

DroidFromVA

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
5.0Ghz has a very short range and can be further reduced by obstructions and reflections from physical objects. You need to go to the router's controls and verify that it is putting out a signal on that frequency and then try to connect to it with your phone, while you are standing within a few feet of the router. If your phone is not detecting the network in the list of available networks, then something is probably wrong with your router.

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the advice and help.
The 5.0 GHZ signal is back ... but not as a result of anything I tried.
First I examined my cell phone (Samsung Galaxy Note3) settings and couldn't find anything changed or missing set. Power savings was not on and toggling that did nada, likewise powering down the phone.
Visually the router (it's LED) was indicating that both radios were on and therefore broadcasting. Most probably a flat lie, read on.
Then I signed on to the Router Console with 192.168.1.1 and the ID/Password I had set up.
Every setting was as I had left it in December of last year. No indication of problems or errors, also a lie. There was a "new firmware available" flag showing but I didn't want to make that change in case it would complicate a problem.
I _did not_ view the log, Wrong decision 😐.
Next from the Router Console I did a router reset, which accomplished nothing and knew I was lost so I signed off for the night.
BTW I mean - nothing I was trying was causing the 5.0 signal to show up on my cellphone😯.
The next day there was a power outage at our house (thank you Florida Flash and Flicker) and _everything_ reset. When I got home the Microwave was displaying PF, for Power Failure (!) and I just happen to look at the WiFi list on my cell and the 5.0 signal was back.
Our whole house has a Utility installed lighting/surge protector on the incoming power drop and I'm concluding that the 5.0 GHZ signal stop because of a (previous) power failure and the next power failure toggled it back on.
But I did learn that I didn't have any independent way to check if the 5.0 GHZ radio was on or off (booo!)
After I was satisfied the the cellphone and the router were communicating on the 5.0 GHZ signal I did download the firmware up date and the ASUS is healthy once more.
ROUTERS LIE, don't turn your back on them, they are not to be trusted, ever😠😠.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt