AT&T, best way to preorder?

Calidoc

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
So, I've always upgraded my iPhones on the Apple web site. What's the best method to preorder the S4? Do I need to try to order as soon preorders go live or need to line up at a store? What's the anticipated demand for this beast?

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
If it's anything like the HTC One pre-order, I'd probably go in store and pre-order. If you're planning on ordering online though, but sure you know what time pre-orders begin just to be safe. Some pre-orders start at midnight of the day.

Demand will probably be high and I'm sure Samsung expects it to be, I don't expect it'll sell out.

Calidoc

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Id go to your local at&t store.

If it's anything like the HTC One pre-order, I'd probably go in store and pre-order. If you're planning on ordering online though, but sure you know what time pre-orders begin just to be safe. Some pre-orders start at midnight of the day.

Demand will probably be high and I'm sure Samsung expects it to be, I don't expect it'll sell out.

What's the advantage of going into the store? It seems like online would be easier. And is buying on the AT&T implied?

Also, another stupid question, whenever I've bought iPhones, whether in person or online, I've been able to unbox and activate it myself. Will I be able to do this with my S4? My friends who have bought Androids were told the sales associate "had to" open and activate the phone in store. True? I just want to do it myself.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
When I hit up the local store today, they said to stop in and pre-order. They will set me up with a temporary phone # for the pre-order and when my phone arrives I will go in, they will port my number over and voila I am a happy GS4 lovin fool.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
They want you to go in and pre-order for their commission. Ordering online usually gets you the phone a lil earlier

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
What's the advantage of going into the store? It seems like online would be easier. And is buying on the AT&T implied?

Also, another stupid question, whenever I've bought iPhones, whether in person or online, I've been able to unbox and activate it myself. Will I be able to do this with my S4? My friends who have bought Androids were told the sales associate "had to" open and activate the phone in store. True? I just want to do it myself.

About two days ago when the One launched it seemed like every AT&T customer on the HTC board had problems pre-ordering. Premiere customers couldn't pre-order and error codes were being handed out left and right. Just seems going in-store and pre-ordering is a lot more hassle free and you're guaranteed to get your pre order through.

And no, you should be able to set up the phone on your own if you want. I don't know why someone would tell them that.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with a sales person making their commission, if they are helping you out and doing their job then I am cool with it. Besides I like to make sure I can get what I need when it arrives in case there is a problem with online stuff.

Calidoc

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I just want them to let me open and activate it myself. Keep their grubby paws off my new toy. :p

If I order it in the store, can I still have it mailed to my home or would I have to pick it up in store?

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I just want them to let me open and activate it myself. Keep their grubby paws off my new toy. :p

If I order it in the store, can I still have it mailed to my home or would I have to pick it up in store?

then your best bet is to order it online. they will always open and activate it for you if you go through a store, even best buy.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with a sales person making their commission, if they are helping you out and doing their job then I am cool with it. Besides I like to make sure I can get what I need when it arrives in case there is a problem with online stuff.

Making their commission at the expense of giving false information I'd probably have a word or two to say about. But making their commission off of genuinely helping people that may need it, no there isn't. But no sales associate "has to" activate a phone, that option is only there for people that can't or don't want to. OP obviously wants to.

And yeah OP, I'd probably pre-order online if you want it shipped to your house. Just make sure you know when pre-orders start that way you'll have plenty of time to secure a unit in the event you get error messages and it comes close to selling out.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Making their commission at the expense of giving false information I'd probably have a word or two to say about. But making their commission off of genuinely helping people that may need it, no there isn't. But no sales associate "has to" activate a phone, that option is only there for people that can't or don't want to. OP obviously wants to.

And yeah OP, I'd probably pre-order online if you want it shipped to your house. Just make sure you know when pre-orders start that way you'll have plenty of time to secure a unit in the event you get error messages and it comes close to selling out.

Oh I agree way too many smarmy ***** sales people out there and they love to misinform to get the sale today instead of losing it to someone else if they aren't working and they wait for a different phone. But fortunately I am far smarter than the average consumer and I know far more than the reps in store. Besides I like to help educate those who need it around me on what to get phone wise so they don't fall prey to the honeypot.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
On line all the way! All going to the store does is give you heart burn and you will be on here ranting...Have faith in the FedEx. They have not let me down yet on a launch day! I thought they would miss the June 21st promise for the S3 but they shipped it overnight and I got it on the 21st! It doesn't hurt that thy ship from Ft. Worth just across the metroplex.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Same here. I'm in Dallas. Got my S3 on the morning of the 21st. I had my phone a few days before the stores got their orders.
On line all the way! All going to the store does is give you heart burn and you will be on here ranting...Have faith in the FedEx. They have not let me down yet on a launch day! I thought they would miss the June 21st promise for the S3 but they shipped it overnight and I got it on the 21st! It doesn't hurt that thy ship from Ft. Worth just across the metroplex.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
So i won't be pre-ordering as my upgrade isn't until early June, but when i do, i'm with others on here, i want my hands the first one on the phone and not some nasty oily salesman hands. Never ordered online from AT&T before as i've always gone in store or did my upgrade at an Apple Store.

For AT&T upgrades do you just have to go to that upgrade eligibility check page and then go through there to order it online and then everything as far as new contract goes will be taken care of?

Sucks i have to wait so much longer that people who will be doing the pre-orders but i hope that just means in June when i make my order they will have plenty in stock.