Connectivity issue

seinx

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Why would my phone have trouble with my WiFi, and my 3 computers don't? When I connect on my phone, it appears I have full strength, the incoming and outgoing arrows light up, but I can't do anything. This happened with my first S4 that I took back yesterday. When I first connect, it works, and then seconds later, it stops but the arrows keep lighting up like it's working fine. I can't keep using 4G because I have a low data plan. Should I call AT&T or my cable provider? Is there something in the phone that isn't set right?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If this is your second phone and the problem is the same, then I really think it's a problem with your modem. I had a similar issue with my Note 2 when my ISP changed my modem to increase speed... I had to change the WiFi channel from "Auto" to "11" (something to do with noise from all the devices in my house and neighbors).

I'd go to another WiFi hot spot (say, a Starbucks perhaps?) and try it there. If you phone haves the same issue as you see at home, then I'd check the phone. If it connects just fine, then it's a configuration problem with your modem at home.

seinx

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
If this is your second phone and the problem is the same, then I really think it's a problem with your modem. I had a similar issue with my Note 2 when my ISP changed my modem to increase speed... I had to change the WiFi channel from "Auto" to "11" (something to do with noise from all the devices in my house and neighbors).

I'd go to another WiFi hot spot (say, a Starbucks perhaps?) and try it there. If you phone haves the same issue as you see at home, then I'd check the phone. If it connects just fine, then it's a configuration problem with your modem at home.

How did you know to change the WiFi channel, how did you do it, and how did you know to change it from "Auto" to "11"?

seinx

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I was able to figure out how to change it but it's still not working properly.. I don't get it.

Naveen Tera

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I am first time Android user. I have the same problem. I use talkatone app for google phone, and it pops out connection lost quite often and this is driving crazy. My wireless is dropping both at office and home. I changed tyhe wifi channels and still same problem.

seinx

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
This is what Samsung Advanced Support told me to do:

In command prompt on the computer of your choice, type in ipconfig/all and make note of the #s for IPv4, Default Gateway, Subnet Mask, and DNS Servers.
Press and hold the name your WiFi is under on your phone and click Forget.
Re-establish the connection on your phone and before connecting, click the box for Advanced Options and enter those #s into the corresponding boxes.

This seemed to fix it but instead of the connection dropping out every 2-3 minutes, it's more like 10-15, or whenever it wants to. On TOP of that, because my phone is now using the same IP address as my computer, my computer won't connect to WiFi unless the WiFi on my phone is turned off, and visa versa.

I'm REALLY hoping that if people have the same connectivity issue, they'll report it to Samsung, otherwise the issue won't be fixed.

(NOTE: I have the D-Link DIR-615 router, in case anyone knows of an issue with the S4 and D-Link.)

Last edited:

dk0654

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
You will have to check the settings on your ROUTER not the cable modem. Also, Samsung told you wrong. Do a hard reset on your phone but make sure to BACK UP the stuff you have.
They told you to use those numbers because they are actually from your ISP and not the phone. They just did a workaround to avoid having to address the real issue.
If it still does it I would continue to make them replace the phone until you get one that works. It is normally a RADIO issue with the phone.

seinx

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
You will have to check the settings on your ROUTER not the cable modem. Also, Samsung told you wrong. Do a hard reset on your phone but make sure to BACK UP the stuff you have.
They told you to use those numbers because they are actually from your ISP and not the phone. They just did a workaround to avoid having to address the real issue.

I didn't mention anything about my cable modem. I've already talked to 3 techs through Xfinity Support; we've gone through all my router settings and that isn't the problem unless something was overlooked which it doesn't appear to have been the case.

What would a hard reset do? And I know they're from my ISP. I just wanted to let people know there's a temporary solution until a fix is made, if ever..

seinx

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Got it sorted out! Changed router settings from TKIP & AES to TKIP only. WiFi going strong for 4 days now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz