My house is located in a "dead zone" for AT&T coverage, but otherwise their coverage is fine for my area. I'm looking to buy a signal booster for my desk to allow me to utilize the 5 GB of data I pay for each month, along with making calls. Does anyone know of a good solution? Thanks.
    05-06-2013 08:35 AM
    AT&T offers microcells, which can be free, if others in your area are having the same problem, otherwise it is offered at a monthly cost.

However: I'm pretty certain microcells only offer 3G, at best. And, my experience with microcells on data has been far from great, they can be spotty and weak.

Having said that, if you are on a contract with AT&T, it doesn't hurt to try a microcell.

Edit:
    A microcell will definitely improve call service. Data may remain an issue.
    Tom S. likes this.
    05-06-2013 11:00 AM
    You have two options.

1. Picocell (requirements: Existing Internet connection, installation: easy)

As brian mentioned above, AT&T offers a device that connects to your existing Internet connection, called a microcell or picocell. It's basically a very limited-range cellular tower that uses your wired Internet connection as its backhaul. That will solve the call problem, and if you put a WiFi access point on your Internet connection that will solve your data connection problem. AT&T sells them but if you point to your location on a map that shows no coverage sometimes they'll cough one up for free for you.

2. Repeater (requirements: Ability to put an antenna outdoors in an area where signal is available, installation: intermediate)

If you do not have or do not want to use your Internet connection and you have some sort of signal at your house but it just can't penetrate indoors (like I do), what you want in that case is a cell repeater, which are pretty readily available. Most of them will only support HSPA+ at best for AT&T. This is what I use, and if you get a good-quality one it works fine. But you have to have signal somewhere you can put the receiving antenna, and that usually means outdoors so there's some pretty significant wiring involved (think: installing an old-school over-the-air TV antenna).
    brianphrack and Tom S. like this.
    05-06-2013 12:20 PM
    There is also Wilson Electronics which specialize in cell phone atennas and boosters. Some though can be quite expensive but then some are also portable meaning you can take them with you in a vehicle or ??? Many truck drivers have Wilson Atennas and boosters in their rigs to supplement low signal areas.
    Tom S. likes this.
    05-07-2013 05:52 PM
    Thanks for the great replies. I can't use a microcell, since I'm on a high latency connection (Satellite, but really fast download). Is there a particular model you guys recommend from a provider like Wilson?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    05-08-2013 11:12 AM
    The only version I am familiar with is the wireless model. That is because not long ago my cousins husband wanted to up his signal and he has the iPhone 4 and no way other than to get a satelite for internet. Google out Wilson Electronics and read what they offer or if your lucky enough as here, there is a Radio Shack which has all the Wilson accessories .
    05-10-2013 04:19 AM