11-03-2013 02:54 AM
37 12
tools
    I'm currently using a class 10 Ultra 32Gig sdhc card with my S4. Its the very same card I had in my S3. So once I upgraded to the S4 I just inserted it in to the slot and for a while it was working fine up until 3 weeks ago. My S4 started saying I had no SD mounted. After removing the SD card a few times and restarting the device the S4 wouldn't recognize it or it would mount it. So what I did at that point I factory restored my device. For 3 weeks no problems with it. Now tonight after taking a few pics which I have my camera photos set to save to the SD card the S4 didn't recognize the SD card and as a result unmounted it but its still in the slot unrecognized. I have music and pictures saved on card so I'm not sure at this point if its an issue with the card itself or perhaps the device. I really don't want to factory restore the device again I hate having to do it again a second time for the same issue. Any help is most appreciated.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    06-13-2013 11:04 PM
    Heres a picture of what keeps happening mind you the SD card is in the slot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Problem with Sandisk Micro SD-uploadfromtaptalk1371179948399.jpg  
    06-13-2013 11:19 PM
    I'm currently using a class 10 Ultra 32Gig sdhc card with my S4. Its the very same card I had in my S3. So once I upgraded to the S4 I just inserted it in to the slot and for a while it was working fine up until 3 weeks ago. My S4 started saying I had no SD mounted. After removing the SD card a few times and restarting the device the S4 wouldn't recognize it or it would mount it. So what I did at that point I factory restored my device. For 3 weeks no problems with it. Now tonight after taking a few pics which I have my camera photos set to save to the SD card the S4 didn't recognize the SD card and as a result unmounted it but its still in the slot unrecognized. I have music and pictures saved on card so I'm not sure at this point if its an issue with the card itself or perhaps the device. I really don't want to factory restore the device again I hate having to do it again a second time for the same issue. Any help is most appreciated.

Try loading it into your PC. If there is a problem with it, the PC may see it and ask if you want to fix it.
    06-13-2013 11:28 PM
    Try loading it into your PC. If there is a problem with it, the PC may see it and ask if you want to fix it.
    Won't the PC automatically ask if I want to format it?

06-13-2013 11:34 PM

Are you unmounting the card each time you take it out of the phone or computer? I experienced the same thing with my card a few months back. I was hoping my 30$ card wasn't dead but it was. I tried a different card and everything worked. If you haven't tried loading the card on your computer try that and see if it reads because I doubt its your phone.
    06-13-2013 11:36 PM
    Won't the PC automatically ask if I want to format it?

Probably not. I had an error on a PNY micro and I remember throwing it into my PC to copy the files over and reformat it. When it loaded my PC said something like do you want me to fix the errors in the sd card? and I clicked ok. Formatting never came up, I thought the same may happen for you. It is worth a shot.
    06-13-2013 11:39 PM
    Probably not. I had an error on a PNY micro and I remember throwing it into my PC to copy the files over and reformat it. When it loaded my PC said something like do you want me to fix the errors in the sd card? and I clicked ok. Formatting never came up, I thought the same may happen for you. It is worth a shot.
    I will try it out

06-13-2013 11:53 PM
    I will try it out

Hopefully it works!
    06-13-2013 11:55 PM
    Hopefully it works!
    Unfortunately it didnt work

06-14-2013 12:14 AM
    Unfortunately it didnt work

Does it come up on your PC as a storage type?
    06-14-2013 12:17 AM
    Does it come up on your PC as a storage type?
    Yes it does actually.

06-14-2013 12:41 AM
    Yes it does actually.

Ok. right click on the SD card, and click properties. You will get a pop up window with tabs at the top. Click Tools, then error checking.
    06-14-2013 12:45 AM
    Ok. right click on the SD card, and click properties. You will get a pop up window with tabs at the top. Click Tools, then error checking.
    Ok i will try that now

06-14-2013 12:51 AM
    It scanned successfully and it found no errors. Not sure what to do now? I found an old Sandisk 16gig micro sdhc i pulled my pics from the SD ultra 32gig card and placed them on the 16gig. The phone recognized it and it seems to be mounted and fine. Im testing it out. But not happy that its not my 32gig card.

06-14-2013 01:07 AM
    It scanned successfully and it found no errors. Not sure what to do now? I found an old Sandisk 16gig micro sdhc i pulled my pics from the SD ultra 32gig card and placed them on the 16gig. The phone recognized it and it seems to be mounted and fine. Im testing it out. But not happy that its not my 32gig card.

Out of ideas myself...sorry.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using AC Forums mobile app
    06-14-2013 01:09 AM
    Out of ideas myself...sorry.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanks for trying

06-14-2013 01:22 AM
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...d-damaged.html

Let us know if you figure it out!
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    06-14-2013 09:20 AM
    I'm switching to a Samsung Micro SD see if that alleviates the problem.

06-14-2013 10:16 AM
    I'm switching to a Samsung Micro SD see if that alleviates the problem.

This person is using a Samsung 64gb card....same problem.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ring-boot.html
    06-14-2013 11:43 AM
    This person is using a Samsung 64gb card....same problem.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ring-boot.html
    If that's the case then there really isnt a fix sounds like it doesnt matter what Sdhc card is in it

06-14-2013 12:15 PM
    If that's the case then there really isnt a fix sounds like it doesnt matter what Sdhc card is in it

This post indicates that using the ExFat format worked! Also in the Samsung Galaxy S3 forum here: I have not tried that yet...but
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post2853906

Will ExFat work on the GS4.....
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post2837481
    06-14-2013 01:38 PM
    You may be accidentally moving the SD lock switch on the side. if moved your phone won't recognize the card.
    willis1110 likes this.
    06-14-2013 04:20 PM
    You may be accidentally moving the SD lock switch on the side. if moved your phone won't recognize the card.
    I don't see a lock switch on the card

06-14-2013 04:38 PM
    This post indicates that using the ExFat format worked! Also in the Samsung Galaxy S3 forum here: I have not tried that yet...but
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post2853906

Will ExFat work on the GS4.....
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post2837481
    Has this been confirmed?

06-14-2013 06:57 PM
    I recently had a problem with a Sandisk 32gb card in my S4 where it started unmounting and remounting itself at random. Posted a thread here and someone said it is a known issue with the card itself. So, I ended up buying a different 32gb card, a Samsung 32gb, and it works just fine with no issues. I don't know if this is related to your issue or not.
    06-16-2013 09:33 AM
37 12