Max SD card size?

thunda1010

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I know the S4 can take Micro SD or Micro SDHC cards, but how large can the size be exactly? Waiting for a 64GB to come in the mail and just occurred to me that it might not be able to use all 64GB.

And also, out of curiosity, how do Samsung official cases compare to SanDisk? or what is the best micro SD card brand to buy from?

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I know the S4 can take Micro SD or Micro SDHC cards, but how large can the size be exactly? Waiting for a 64GB to come in the mail and just occurred to me that it might not be able to use all 64GB

People have posted on these forums they have used their s4 with a 64gb.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
That is the exact one I have in both my note 8 and note 2. Its fine. Plus its might or copying stuff to or reading from.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 2

Fuego

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I have a SanDisk 64 gb card in my S4. Works fine and plenty of head room.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

adam1314#IM

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I have the SanDisk 64 GB in my S4 and it works fine. Almost have it completely full. I am ready for 128 GB SD cards to be common and supported!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Droid4Core

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
The San disk 64 gig card is the best you can get. However: if your a speed freak and like nice things cyanogen mod has a nice option to speed it up... Which it does quite nicely

Sent from my SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

wesboogy

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I have a 4 gig Kingston sd in my s4 and my pic. Always freezes even when I'm looking at the pics my phone camera took has any one has this problem

Steve Maschue

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I had the exact same problem. I installed a 64GB micro SD Card that was described as Class 10 and had no problem until I filled the card up to about 10 percent of it's capacity (about 6GB). Then the camera would freeze up at random times. When I went to look at the photos, I ran into similar problems. I isolated the problem, when I figured out that everything worked just fine with internal memory, without the SD card.
I then switched to a 32GB "Samsung" brand micro SD card, and have had no problems for the past 4 months. I believe the SD card has to be very fast in order to handle the photo & video storage from the camera. I would like to upgrade to a larger size card now. It seems hard to believe that I could fill up 32GB with music, photos, podcasts and videos --but it happens! I still haven't found out if I can upgrade to a 128GB micro SD card. Does anyone know? They are available now at reasonable prices. However I am concerned about finding one that is "fast enough" that I don't run into the problem I originally had with the 64GB card.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I had the exact same problem. I installed a 64GB micro SD Card that was described as Class 10 and had no problem until I filled the card up to about 10 percent of it's capacity (about 6GB). Then the camera would freeze up at random times. When I went to look at the photos, I ran into similar problems. I isolated the problem, when I figured out that everything worked just fine with internal memory, without the SD card.
I then switched to a 32GB "Samsung" brand micro SD card, and have had no problems for the past 4 months. I believe the SD card has to be very fast in order to handle the photo & video storage from the camera. I would like to upgrade to a larger size card now. It seems hard to believe that I could fill up 32GB with music, photos, podcasts and videos --but it happens! I still haven't found out if I can upgrade to a 128GB micro SD card. Does anyone know? They are available now at reasonable prices. However I am concerned about finding one that is "fast enough" that I don't run into the problem I originally had with the 64GB card.

It should work. The Sandisk 128gb microSDXC card worked on my note 3 and s3.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

gxgs

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
This happened not because the card was slow or of an incompatible size, but because the card you bought was either a knock-off from ebay/amazon or somewhere else or damaged internally. That's what happens when they fake the size of the card by modifying... lets call them internal 'parameters', to show it as higher capacity, but in reality, its just a low GB card. Therefore, the card rejects any new files, and if it accepts them, they show up as corrupt, since there is no more space for it store more data. It just stores a 'pointer' to a non existing file in the partition table.

For everyone, buy SD cards from reputable sellers and from reputable brands. Cheap cards are cheap cards, or even fake ones.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
This happened not because the card was slow or of an incompatible size, but because the card you bought was either a knock-off from ebay/amazon or somewhere else or damaged internally. That's what happens when they fake the size of the card by modifying... lets call them internal 'parameters', to show it as higher capacity, but in reality, its just a low GB card. Therefore, the card rejects any new files, and if it accepts them, they show up as corrupt, since there is no more space for it store more data. It just stores a 'pointer' to a non existing file in the partition table.

For everyone, buy SD cards from reputable sellers and from reputable brands. Cheap cards are cheap cards, or even fake ones.

You make me want to cancel my order off amazon for a data 64 gig

must have unlocked boot loaders!!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You make me want to cancel my order off amazon for a data 64 gig

If you buy from amazon make sure that it is sold by Amazon.com and not a third-party

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I would not buy an sd card from third party on Amazon, including FBA. Too many fakes. If you do buy it, make sure to test the sd card

Yea I canceled it packaging didn't look rite and it said micro sdhc not micro sdxc

dctokyo

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
And also, out of curiosity, how do Samsung official cases compare to SanDisk? or what is the best micro SD card brand to buy from?

Also have a look at Toshiba EXCERIA cards ( 90 MB/s Write and 95 MB/s Read Speed ) , I prefer made in Japan over Taiwan or China anyday

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey