10-21-2013 08:16 PM
40 12
tools
    It is my humble opinion that undue reliance on these battery stats is unjustified and that you have to look to overall battery life in the context of use. The percentages shown are not unlike mine, yet I get superlative life depending on my usage. When I am home on the weekends, where I have wifi and a microcell, such that all signals are top quality, I use 1-1.5% per hour. When I am out and about without wifi, spending my day in areas of better and worse coverages, I use 3-4% per hour. When I sit at home in the evening and use watchon (or touchsquid, which I like better) as my tv remote to flip channels and change volume, I use more power more quickly.

Go into Google Maps and turn location reporting and history off.
    Generally turn off things you dont use, air view, nfc, s-beam and the like.
    Dont set up things in Google now you dont really use, do you really need to know the time it takes to get to work?
    Turn off notifications in apps that you dont really need or are redundant, how many different ways do you need to know the temperature?
    Reboot from time to time, I usually do it at least every two to three days.

Our phones are android devices with lots of stuff built on google services, expect it to use power.

Finally, uninstalling updates and letting google play reinstall them can really help. If its greyed out out, do you have auto-update turned on? Do you check for updates available that auto-update wont do?
    08-18-2013 07:47 AM
    This solved my problem as well, now I don't even see google services anymore.
    i did this last night and i still see google services.. i uninstalled it again and then restarted the phone.. hopefully that works better.. i charged my phone last night and after 3hrs i was down 5% and 58% was google services
    08-18-2013 11:21 AM
    3 hrs, 5%, that's an anticipated life of 60 hours on a charge. Darn good if you ask me. Right now "device idle" is 23% of my usage, I am at 17 hours with 75% remaining. I don't see any reason 58% of almost nothing should be of any concern. That's a consumption of 0.966% (58% of 5% divided by 3) of a full charge going to Google Services per hour.
    08-18-2013 03:34 PM
    This is worth a read to make sure you guys are clear on what the battery percentages mean:

Google Services, battery usage and other areas of confusion | Android Central
    Mr_Twist likes this.
    08-18-2013 11:11 PM
    Settings/more/location services <--- disable "use wireless networks". This cut down on the wakelocks from Google Play Services by about 95%...but of course I lost that feature, which I would prefer to have.
    08-25-2013 09:40 PM
    Settings/more/location services <--- disable "use wireless networks". This cut down on the wakelocks from Google Play Services by about 95%...but of course I lost that feature, which I would prefer to have.
    What i do is turn off Location Services/disable use wireless networks when i'm not gonna use it that's gonna help your battery about 95% i don't need to keep that on if not using , but when the time comes if traveling or something and need to turn on will do but since there's no need to keep it on always if i'm not using it all the time.
    09-01-2013 11:37 PM
    What i do is turn off Location Services/disable use wireless networks when i'm not gonna use it that's gonna help your battery about 95% i don't need to keep that on if not using , but when the time comes if traveling or something and need to turn on will do but since there's no need to keep it on always if i'm not using it all the time.
    That definitely will work but that's too much of a hassle for me. So many apps now use your location to determine what info you're given and having to enable/disable it every time would be such a huge annoyance. Same reason I always keep my GPS on. Battery drain is minimal and I hate the hassle of turning it on/off all the frickin' time.
    09-02-2013 12:20 AM
    I had the same problem.
    A firmware upgrade fixed the problem. I did it through kies
    09-19-2013 05:29 PM
    I know this thread is a little older but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents. I would bet hard money that it's Google Now draining your battery. That falls under the "Google Services" and in the many times I've turned it on I've noticed a significant battery drain. I've tested Google Now specifically for battery usage around 10 times. Each time I noticed a battery drain of 20-40% with the exact same usage patterns as the day before.

This happened on my Galaxy S3 (I747M), my buddies S4 and now my Note 3. Each time I get suckered into trying Google Now because it sounds good "on paper" and I cross my fingers that the battery usage is reduced..and each time I am seriously disappointed and end up turning it off after 1-2 days and stick with Voice Search combined with the Home 2 Shortcut app to replace the Samsung voice search.
    I've also found that Hangouts and using Location in Google+ are extremely power hungry as well. I'd turn off all 3 of those things (unless you rely on Hangouts) and I'm betting you'll see a major improvement.
    10-16-2013 07:22 PM
    I updated to the new VRUDMI1 software on Tuesday and have been having major battery life issues ever since. Initially it was Google Play services, but the uninstall of updates fixed that. Now, I'm getting a major drain from Android Core Services. According to GSam Battery Monitor, they are using 33% of my battery life (specifically the Contacts app). Force stop on it isn't helping. I turned on my phone 2 1/2 hours ago with 94% power and I'm down to 63%.

It should be noted that my office has terrible phone reception, but even putting the phone in airplane mode isn't stopping the drain. Before the upgrade, as long as I had my wi-fi on, battery life was normal (I'm a heavy user and get about 24 hours of use out of a charge). Help!

I'll submit screenshots shortly.
    10-18-2013 02:11 PM
    Here are the screenshots of my battery usage. I should have noted that I'm using an S4:

Google Services chewing up my battery life-screenshot_2013-10-18-11-06-43.png
    Google Services chewing up my battery life-screenshot_2013-10-18-11-07-18.png
    Google Services chewing up my battery life-screenshot_2013-10-18-11-10-07.png
    10-18-2013 02:23 PM
    I discovered that when I took pictures, my phone would upload the pictures to Google and that would drain my batteries real fast. Switched it to only upload when there is a wifi network. Hopefully it will work. If you have Dropbox making a copy of your pictures, that can kill your battery too. During uploading my phone would get warm while in my pocket.
    10-21-2013 12:00 AM
    Thanks for the feedback. I ended up having to do a factory reset. If you have most of your data on your SD card, this is pretty painless. My phone was back up and good as new in about an hour. Not having the drain issue anymore. I got over 24 hours off my last charge with heavy use.
    10-21-2013 01:04 PM
    Would love to see your battery usage since the reset. I might try the same. My numbers are similar to yours. (what they used to be).
    10-21-2013 07:29 PM
    Thanks for the feedback. I ended up having to do a factory reset. If you have most of your data on your SD card, this is pretty painless. My phone was back up and good as new in about an hour. Not having the drain issue anymore. I got over 24 hours off my last charge with heavy use.
    Slightly off topic, but I think enough related to post here. When doing a factory reset, does the process automatically reload one's apps, pic, etc. I know Android doesn't currently allow a restore as easy as ios. But may wanna try this too.

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
    10-21-2013 08:16 PM
40 12