Group Messaging

ryguy5

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I've had my S4 for about a week now after upgrading from an iPhone 4s. I love every feature that the phone has and really like everything with Android.

Over the past week, I've only had 1 major issue.

I know the S4 can do group messaging, but my problem is getting responses from other people in group messages. I can send the message fine and my contacts are receiving the messages, but when they (all iPhones) reply, I'm not getting anything. I am however getting individual texts from all contacts with no problem regardless of the device. I've done some research and tried the following:

1. De-registered my old iPhone and removed my phone number from all Apple account contact info.
2. Changed my iCloud/Apple password.
3. On my S4, I have the group MMS box checked, and the conversation thread even says "Group Messaging."

One other thing I had found was that it could possibly be due to the ATT apps that come pre-loaded on the phone. I've also disabled the ATT Messaging app thinking that was somehow preventing the responses to come through but that didn't seem to do anything.

I traded in my old iPhone and did a factory re-set in the store, and do not have the device to go back to now to change anything there. I also have an iPad2, where I have logged into my apple account and made sure iMessage was turned off on that device but no luck. Any idea's as to why I'm not receiving group message replies or how to fix this issue?

Gregory Teng

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Bump I'm having similar issues, I have done all the same things the above user has done as well. However, my issue slightly differs. On -most- of my group text chains, the texts come in as single texts, but then .5 seconds later seem to disappear and finally move into the group chain bucket. When I am having multiple group text conversations and I keep getting single messages and then the fone dragging to move the messages into the group chain makes the phone unusable. It almost completely locks up as I receieve messages.

Though I do have the exact same issue the OP has, where I have a few friends who initiate or reply to group chains and they come in exclusively single. I really like the phone, I just can't stand the group messaging.

ryguy5

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
At least you're getting some group messages, I'm not getting anything from my friends. Weird thing is, I went to the ATT store just to see if they've heard of the issue, seemed clueless, but when the rep. started a group between her iPhone, a random store phone and my phone everything works. The problem seems to be with people who have iPhones who already have my number. Their phones seem to still be associating my number as an iPhone. I haven't been able to get with any of them this week to see if resetting my contact info works or not. Will update after trying that.

Gregory Teng

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
At least you're getting some group messages, I'm not getting anything from my friends. Weird thing is, I went to the ATT store just to see if they've heard of the issue, seemed clueless, but when the rep. started a group between her iPhone, a random store phone and my phone everything works. The problem seems to be with people who have iPhones who already have my number. Their phones seem to still be associating my number as an iPhone. I haven't been able to get with any of them this week to see if resetting my contact info works or not. Will update after trying that.

Lemme know if you get to the bottom of this. I'm surprised not many others are having this issue, i'd imagine there's a small populace of iphone to android transferees. I shoulda stuck with an iphone LOL

silentscorp

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like a problem with iMessage. I had the same issue . If you have your old iPhone then turn off iMessage. You will also have to turn off iMessage on your ipad and Mac if they are using your mobile number. If you don't have your old phone you will have to wait 30 days until iMessage turns itself off.

ryguy5

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like a problem with iMessage. I had the same issue . If you have your old iPhone then turn off iMessage. You will also have to turn off iMessage on your ipad and Mac if they are using your mobile number. If you don't have your old phone you will have to wait 30 days until iMessage turns itself off.

I actually traded my old iPhone into ATT, so looks like I'm waiting 30 days. I've reset passwords, logged out of iMessage everywhere, even deleted my old iPhone backups. 30 days and counting...lame

ryguy5

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
After leaving it all alone for a while, I wanted to give an update. Last night, a friend who is on Android, started a group text with myself (Android) and 2 other iPhones. Group messaging worked perfectly, everyone got the messages and they all showed up in the same thread on my end. Since this worked, I decided to try the group message with some other friends on all iPhone's and it did not work. Seems that iMessage is still messed up, but I do know that the group messaging works when multiple phones in the string are not iPhone. I may go back to ATT and show them that it worked, and see if they have any solutions as to why messaging with all iPhones still doesn't work.

adam1314#IM

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Silentscorp is correct. This issue is caused because iMessage was not turned off on all iDevices before switching to the S4. I have the S4 and came from an iPhone and my group messaging works perfectly. I group message mostly with iPhone users, and have no problem. The S4 is one of the few Android phones that comes with the ability to group message with iPhones out of the box. I returned the Note 2 for the S4 for this reason. There are other messaging apps you can use in lieu of the sms app that comes with the phone. The Go messaging app works pretty well if you put the correct settings in.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2