Anyone else have an update coming through from ATT? Checked online but nothing so far hopefully it has no bugs whatsoever...
    08-05-2013 10:16 AM
    I haven't heard of any updates after MF3. Which updates are you talking about?

I just checked my update, I don't see any.

Posted via Android Central App
    08-05-2013 10:28 AM
    Got it this morning. Kernel is 3.4.0-812098 and build is JDQ39.I337UCUAMF3
    08-05-2013 11:35 AM
    Got it this morning. Kernel is 3.4.0-812098 and build is JDQ39.I337UCUAMF3
    Any idea what the new update does asides maybe bug fixes?
    08-05-2013 02:55 PM
    If you're on MDL, then you're probably getting the MF3 update that started rolling out almost a month ago.

It is not advised to let the update run if you want to have root, custom recovery, and the ability to flash new ROMs.

MF3 does have a new rooting method available but it's more difficult...and there is no custom recovery (so no ability to flash custom ROMs either).

See here for info on the update:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-s...-00-am-et.html
    08-05-2013 06:15 PM
    However there is a method to protect root on rooted phones before updating to MF3 and then re-install root. This is quite simple in fact. It works because the MF3 update only upgrades individual programs and doesn't flash a complete new image as 4.3 does.

This method can be found at Successful Update to MF3, and Retaining Root - xda-developers
    08-06-2013 01:49 PM
    I just did the Update, and the major upgrade I see is that the "On SD card" function has been enabled for AT&T in the Application Manager, so you can move all moveable apps to the SD Card now...you may have been able to do this if you rooted your S4, but I never did, so I just moved all the moveable apps over today.

Would love to hear any other new features people see as well, haven't done much other poking around with it yet...just very happy to finally have the "On SD card" function.
    08-07-2013 12:51 PM
    However there is a method to protect root on rooted phones before updating to MF3 and then re-install root. This is quite simple in fact. It works because the MF3 update only upgrades individual programs and doesn't flash a complete new image as 4.3 does.

This method can be found at Successful Update to MF3, and Retaining Root - xda-developers
    That method can work but things can go wrong and it's not certain to work. However, they have discovered a new root method already, so it's not really necessary.

That being said, I would still avoid MF3. There is still no custom recovery or bootloader exploit...and you cannot downgrade...and you can't unroot...etc.

I just did the Update, and the major upgrade I see is that the "On SD card" function has been enabled for AT&T in the Application Manager, so you can move all moveable apps to the SD Card now...you may have been able to do this if you rooted your S4, but I never did, so I just moved all the moveable apps over today.

Would love to hear any other new features people see as well, haven't done much other poking around with it yet...just very happy to finally have the "On SD card" function.
    There's a big thread in this forum, from a month ago, with people talking about the update and what changes they see:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-s...-00-am-et.html
    08-07-2013 11:12 PM
    The difference between the two methods is that in the one I mentioned. Even if it doesn't work you only lose root but the phone is otherwise unaffected. As you mentioned, in the second method for after you have an un-rooted MF3 there is no way to recover if something goes wrong.
    08-08-2013 12:20 PM