Galaxy S4 AT&T Update

deand28

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone, last night I got an update for my S4 but I didn't accept it cause it was late. I woke up this morning to find out that it updated by itself or something, but ever since then i have 6.41 GB of Miscellaneous files. I have never had that much in that area. I think it might have something to do with the update but i would definitely like to free up some space. What's the problem and what should I do?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-08-19-21-14-52.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-08-19-21-14-52.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 79

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone, last night I got an update for my S4 but I didn't accept it cause it was late. I woke up this morning to find out that it updated by itself or something, but ever since then i have 6.41 GB of Miscellaneous files. I have never had that much in that area. I think it might have something to do with the update but i would definitely like to free up some space. What's the problem and what should I do?

Not really sure since my phone shows 2.6GB Misc Files...but also shows 9.7GB Total Space at the top...looks to me like some window dressing by Samsung to make yours show Total Space at 16GB, which looks nicer...but then in order to keep it accurate they had to put the system files somewhere...so they chose Misc Files.

hoggydog

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I woke up this morning to find out that it updated by itself or something, but ever since then i have 6.41 GB of Miscellaneous files.

I didn't notice any update, but suddenly I, too, have 6.41 Gb of miscellaneous files for no apparent reason. Very strange.

Even stranger, when I tap Miscellaneous Files in the Storage pane, up comes a list of various types of data, most with checkboxes. However, the first item on the list has no checkbox and is labeled "System Memory" with a size of 6.38 Gb. All of the other data combined totals only about 29 Mb or so.

Restarted the phone hoping the 6.41 Gb would go away or shrink substantially, but no such luck. It's all still there.

Sweet Pikake

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site

I'm in the same boat, I've never noticed so much storage space is being wasted for an unknown files. Maybe one of the high techie can figure this one out. 7.99 GB is a lot of storage for something I have no knowledge of what's in there.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, I've never noticed so much storage space is being wasted for an unknown files. Maybe one of the high techie can figure this one out. 7.99 GB is a lot of storage for something I have no knowledge of what's in there.

Once again: it's your system files. It's the part of your storage that the operating system is on.

Sweet Pikake

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Once again: it's your system files. It's the part of your storage that the operating system is on.

OK, so on the Galaxy S4 SGH-I337, the OS is in miscellaneous files, how then is my GT-N5100 Galaxy Note 8.0's miscellaneous files only contains 183 MB, both devices are on the latest 4.2.2.
Thanks

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
OK, so on the Galaxy S4 SGH-I337, the OS is in miscellaneous files, how then is my GT-N5100 Galaxy Note 8.0's miscellaneous files only contains 183 MB, both devices are on the latest 4.2.2.
Thanks

Lol same thing I already explained above. It's window dressing. Notice the difference in "Total Space" at the top. On your first screenshot it shows 32GB, the entire size of your internal storage. On your second screenshot, it shows 9.87GB, which I am pretty certain is 16GB minus the OS space. So the first one is actually showing you your OS space being used by the Misc Files. The second one it's just taking the OS space out of the Total Space and showing you what you have left.

Sweet Pikake

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Lol same thing I already explained above. It's window dressing. Notice the difference in "Total Space" at the top. On your first screenshot it shows 32GB, the entire size of your internal storage. On your second screenshot, it shows 9.87GB, which I am pretty certain is 16GB minus the OS space. So the first one is actually showing you your OS space being used by the Misc Files. The second one it's just taking the OS space out of the Total Space and showing you what you have left.

got it. thanks 4 the explanation:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

hpmini2009

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Make sure you change your settings in Play Store to not automatically update. I found that works because the useless memory app Allcast Dongle can only be disabled and not uninstalled but it will never update again.

hpmini2009

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2