AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 - OTA update fails at 25%

ismellrealbad

May 13, 2013
Visit site
As the subject says. The phone restarts and begins installing the update then fails at 25%. The phone is rooted. Has anyone else had this happen and also know how to fix it? I found something to try on XDA forums but i can't even do that as that fails as well.
ATT Galaxy S4..Just Received An Update - Page 8 - xda-developers
Originally Posted by crystalstylez View Post
If you manually removed something from the system folder it will fail because it's looking for that item. I use to to always have to put files I modified or removed back before installing an update of it would fail with my galaxy s2, s3, and note 10.1
After restoring the original TetheringProvision.APK and TheteringProvision.odex did the trick. I was able to apply the update. YES!!!!

If you have used the modified TetheringProvision.APK renamed it first, then rename back the original ones

So I have the tether hack spoken about above there and want to try to rename these files but ES File Explorer just says "Task is failed" (which is retarded) but no reason why. I tried stopping everything related and I'm still unable to rename those files.

Either:
a) does someone know how to fix the root cause of the problem
or
b) does somoene know how to unretard my ES File Explorer.

Thanks

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The update probably detects you are rooted and is aborting. Typically, rooted devices don't receive updates OTA. You'll have to restore back to stock, which would loose root and risk not getting back soon. Or you can install a custom ROM based on root if one is already out - check the forums and/or XDA for a rooted stock ROM to install.

Michael503

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue with my s3. I don't know if it was because it was rooted w/ stock recovery or the toggles mod I had done. I flashed to an OEM version and the update went thru.
I wanted to because the partial upgrade broke the ability of my phone to add/change an icon on the lock screen.
Now I have 4.3, and a bluetooth issue.. a mixed bag really.

BTW, I read that 4.3 OTA is a one way trip. Can't flash back without bricking (knox).. a REALLY REALLY BIG thanks to the peeps responsible for this! (I need an emoticon of a droid flipping the bird)

ccbutterfly

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I have this issue as well. I, too, had used the tether hack and was unable to rename the files using ES File Explorer; however, I used another file manager (Root Browser) and was able to successfully rename them. Unfortunately, this did not solve my issue (still failing at 25% of install after a 40-minute download. Grr). I tried this rooted and un-rooted.

So ... I backed up all files and apps, then did a data wipe/factory reset. Still fails at 25%.
I can't believe I'm getting all this headache for 4.3 as opposed to KitKat.

FYI - This is an MF3 Build I bought the day after Christmas. I didn't see any updates til now, so I guess it was MF3 out of the box. Because of the bad Build I have, I'm not looking for a leaked KitKat :/ The 4.4 OTA update would be nice. :)

If anyone has any additional ideas or experience, I'm all ears.

Last edited:

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Dude if your trying to update to official 4.3 DONT DO IT!!!!! IT'S BOOT LOADER IS COMPLETELY LOCKED LOKI DOKI WONT WORK YOU WILL LOOSE ROOT AND BE FORCE TO USA SAFESTRAP STRAP FOR A RECOVERY

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

crawler350

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
My s4 active i9295 does the same thing after it downloads all 841mbs which takes 1hour 30min it restarts and goes to the install screen and gets to 26% and says install failed . Please has anyone fix this problem?..it did the same thing when downloading it tried installing 4.3 jellybean automatically and I didn't try updating till I herd 4.4.2 came back out..please help I did have active root but un installed it and it still does the same thing...is there an app maybe that gets rid of any thing that has to do will root?

Leo at Sea

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
My S4 is a Rogers (Canadian) SGH-1337M same problem and it is NOT rooted. Any help would be appreciated. I would also like to get my 32Gb SD card into use again, Kit Kat made it virtually redundant!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37