Can't Update my AT&T Galaxy S4 to KitKat. "Software Update Interrupted"

kingofk1ngs

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
My S4 (ATT) has not been able to get a software update. My phone is still running 4.2.2 and whenever i go to get a software update, it says that it was interrupted and I can try again in 24 hours. My phone has the stock settings btw.

I wasn't bothered by this when 4.3 came out because i didn't think it was a big upgrade, but now i want 4.4 and it still won't work.

Anyone else have this problem or ideas on how to fix it?

Last edited by a moderator:

wd4oay

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: Can't Update my S4 to KitKat. "Software Update Interrupted"

Is your phone rooted or has it been rooted in the past? If so you will not be able to install the update until you Odin back to stock firmware. To find out how to do this do a Web search for XDA developers and find your phone on their Web site. They have detailed instructions and links to all the files that you will need there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

wd4oay

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site

If it has never been rooted, you should be able to take it to either an AT&T store or Best Buy (Samsung experience section) and have them do the update for you.

kingofk1ngs

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site

Is your phone rooted or has it been rooted in the past? If so you will not be able to install the update until you Odin back to stock firmware. To find out how to do this do a Web search for XDA developers and find your phone on their Web site. They have detailed instructions and links to all the files that you will need there.

My phone has never been rooted

wd4oay

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site

Your best bet then is to take it to an AT&T store or Best Buy and have them do the update for you. Also one other thing to try, I've heard that if you have an external SD card installed on your phone, it can interrupt the update. So try removing it if you have one and updating without it installed.

kingofk1ngs

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site

Your best bet then is to take it to an AT&T store or Best Buy and have them do the update for you. Also one other thing to try, I've heard that if you have an external SD card installed on your phone, it can interrupt the update. So try removing it if you have one and updating without it installed.

Ok, i'll try that. Thanks!

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site

Go to Best Buy, AT&T will not do an upgrade.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

ProperlyDaDon

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

Hi guys,I have the same problem.I bought my phone year ago on contract in AT&T,but now I am in Europe,and till summer I not gonna be in America,so I canot wait summer to update it mhpne.Could I update it via AT&T ota servers or I need to try some other metod.

mandoman28

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site

My S4 (ATT) has not been able to get a software update. My phone is still running 4.2.2 and whenever i go to get a software update, it says that it was interrupted and I can try again in 24 hours. My phone has the stock settings btw.

I wasn't bothered by this when 4.3 came out because i didn't think it was a big upgrade, but now i want 4.4 and it still won't work.

Anyone else have this problem or ideas on how to fix it?

I had this problem, I used Odin and flashed the 4.3 stock on to my phone (which I got from the XDA site). Once that was done I just did a software update from the phone and got the 4.4.2 update.from AT&T. Wasn't difficult at all, whole process took about an hour.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

Why would you want an unlock able boot loader?? Root it and flash a rom

must have unlocked boot loaders!!

sevenlager

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
My S4(ATT) shows me 200067hrs whenever I go to check for the latest update which is kitkat. It all started when I read a forum where someone said to change the date to check for it regularly and it worked the first 3 tries then it began showing me the 200067hrs to check again. Please help!!!!!

Posted via Android Central App

sho50

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Thought: Consider yourself lucky that the "update" failed! KitKat 4.4.2 is very flawed and will ruin your file management and SD card access. Stick with 4.2... It works much better.

Posted via Android Central App

imary_tinez

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
root has nothing to do with it. theres a glitch on the KitKat update for at&t. they are working on a patch for it. root or no root. it will not update. it will always interrupt. like someone else has said, u can take it to a best buy and they will flash it for you. But i would wait for the patch.

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Sevenlager,
I had the same problem on my S4. I had to reset my phone to factory settings to get it, because if I had actually just let it sit, I would have never gotten the update in my lifetime. They couldn't even update it at Best Buy through their software. Best bet is do a factory reset and then try it. If it says wait 24 hours, actually wait that long because too much messing with it can put it right back where it was.

gito84

May 10, 2014
Visit site
If it has never been rooted, you should be able to take it to either an AT&T store or Best Buy (Samsung experience section) and have them do the update for you.

I bought an unlocked i337 when I had AT&T then I switched to Metro PCS and I'm having the same issues where it says update interrupted. I am new to Android as I've been an iPhone user For years. How do I know if the phone is rooted, and if I flash it back to factory settings will I have to unlock the phone again? I don't want to download an unsafe version of KitKat so I'd really like to have the official update.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I bought an unlocked i337 when I had AT&T then I switched to Metro PCS and I'm having the same issues where it says update interrupted. I am new to Android as I've been an iPhone user For years. How do I know if the phone is rooted, and if I flash it back to factory settings will I have to unlock the phone again? I don't want to download an unsafe version of KitKat so I'd really like to have the official update.

You have to get the update from at&t your going to have to pop in an at&t sim card (with service) and have them push it to you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Amitch1511

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I had this same problem, nothing worked and I didn't want to mess with flashing the firmware. I went on to myATT, went to support and chatted with a tech for about 10 min. She told me to do all the things I'd already done, then took my IMEI number and forwarded my problem onto actual Tech Support. The next day I got an email saying my ticket had been resolved, but when I checked for an update that night, same issue. The next morning I woke up and the update was already downloaded and took about 10 minutes to install.