AT&T Galaxy S4: Windows Vista Explorer can't see files

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I searched the forum but couldn't find an answer to this problem. I have a new Galaxy S4. I put a microSD card in that had been in my older Motorola Atrix. The phone seems to see it (ie. it shows up in the "storage" menu with the correct memory size) and I can access the files on the phone but when I connect the phone to my PC with the usb cable and open windows explorer I can see the folders on the phone and the card but I cannot see the files; all the folders appear empty. I went to the usb connection menu on the phone and it gives me just two options; MTP or PTP. Neither option works. I downloaded the drivers from Samsung but this didn't help. I am running the latest AT&T software update Android 4.4.2
I know that Samsung had some trouble with the microSD card with the new 4.4.2 but this problem is not limited to the SD card. Are there additional drivers I need since I'm running Vista?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Windows Vista Explorer can't see files

Have you tried redownloading and installing updated Samsung drivers?

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Is there any other PC you could try just to see if it's the PC versus the phone?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Have you tried to use a microSD card reader?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

4.4.2 is the reason YOU CAN NOT READ AND WRITE TO THE SD CARD THROUGH THIRD PARTY APPS OR FILE EXPLORERS SO BASICALLY YOUR SD IS USELESS

must have unlocked boot loaders!!