Need help with Galaxy S4. Not sure if rooted or not and it wont update, etc...

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I traded my iphone for this AT&T galaxy S4 2 weeks ago, the phone works good and all but i can't get it to update the software, its stuck on 4.2.2. I believe it was rooted, they did a manuf reset on the phone before i got it and it had an app installed called Superuser and when i reset the phone a little robot comes up and asks for recovery or continue, i think its called safestrap or something idk. and an unlocked padlock comes on the screen and says custom. I have never rooted a phone or owned a rooted phone so I have no earthly idea what to do to fix this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I traded my iphone for this AT&T galaxy S4 2 weeks ago, the phone works good and all but i can't get it to update the software, its stuck on 4.2.2. I believe it was rooted, they did a manuf reset on the phone before i got it and it had an app installed called Superuser and when i reset the phone a little robot comes up and asks for recovery or continue, i think its called safestrap or something idk. and an unlocked padlock comes on the screen and says custom. I have never rooted a phone or owned a rooted phone so I have no earthly idea what to do to fix this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Its rooted then :) BUT use this youtube video: How To Unroot and Flash your Galaxy S4 to Stock Android 4.2.2 MDC - YouTube to get it back to stock :) and i recommend ONLY this one as your on 4.2.2 so is the video :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If the Superuser app is installed and you get those screens, then yes, your phone is rooted. I'm not sure if this blocks updates from AT&T or not, but I kinda remember that it does.

Here are a few things you can try:
1) Download Samsung Kies to your computer, connect your phone to it via USB and see if you see the update there.
2) This needs a bit more reading and advanced 'trickery', but since your phone is rooted, you could download AT&T's newest software image (ROM) and install it manually onto your phone. This needs a couple more software components on your PC but since I haven't done any of that in a while, I'm not the best candidate to give you step-by-step guide on that. But those are in abundance online. You can also opt for another ROM instead of AT&T's as long as it's confirmed to work with your phone and carrier. Sometimes these custom ROMs are cleaner, snappier, and have none of the bloatware carriers love to add to our devices.
3) Either have your phone 'unrooted' yourself or have someone else that has more experience with these tricks to do it for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781