I received a notification on my S4 this morning to activate the AT&T payment system. I am guessing it is a substitute for Apple Pay or Google Wallet. When I went to do so I was informed that I needed a new sim card to use the service and I needed to visit an AT&T store. I stopped at the local AT&T outlet on my walk this morning. They had little information about the service but did offer me a new sim card for $10, which I declined.

Anyone know anything about this or where I might find more information?
    11-05-2014 10:43 AM
    If you go to the Google Play Store and search for Softcard, (formerly ISIS), you will see that the app was created by AT&T Services, Inc. That could be the connection. Perhaps the SIM is required on your phone to enable NFC, or some other security feature.
    BTW, I put both Softcard and Google Wallet on my phone. Softcard was easy to link to my Amex card, but I didn't find it as intuitive as Google Wallet. Haven't tried paying with Softcard, so far it's been a bit rough with Google Wallet as the terminals I've used have been slow to respond to my phone hovering over them. Some work, some don't.
    11-07-2014 02:49 PM
    My S4 has NFC and will work with Google Wallet (although I have not tried it yet). I think the new sim they say I need has something to do with AT&T security features. The only reason I would want to have any purchase payment app on my phone is that I just about always have my phone but don't always carry my wallet (with my credit cards). It would be for unplanned spontaneous purchases (like when I am out on my morning walk where I do not carry my wallet and decide to make a quick purchase).
    11-07-2014 03:50 PM