Hi all,
    I just purchased an AT&T S4 (SGH-I337) on Swappa & have an issue I hope you can help a me with. Overall I'm happy with the phone but a major problem I'm having is I can't use it as a hotspot. I didn't know this before I bought the phone but after some research I know it has something to do with AT&T locking it so only users with data plans could use it but I'm not using AT&T & I need to be able to use it. As I said it's an AT&T phone but I'm using it with Consumer Cellular and it has stock Android 4.4.4 loaded. It has never been rooted. I've tried FoxFi but couldn't get it to work. I've read there is a way to enable the WiFi hotspot with 4.2/4.3 with out rooting the phone, does this work with 4.4.4 or is it possible to roll back to stock 4.3? If not & I'm going to have to root and/or ROM the phone do you have any suggestions on what to use? Safety, stability, & functionality are the most important features for me. Would a Google Play Edition ROM (would I be able to upgrade to 5.0?) or CyanogenMod be good options for me? I've never rooted or changed the ROM on a phone before. Thanks
    01-10-2015 11:34 AM
    Since 4.3, you can't flash a custom ROM on a Samsung AT&T phone - it has to be signed. (And if you think it's difficult to get into the president's bedroom at 3AM, try getting the signing code from Samsung.) Every "custom" ROM is just the stock ROM with some modifications (like look and feel, bloat removed, etc.)

And you can't go back, only forward. If it has 4.4.4, you can go back to any 4.4 ROM (like 4.4.2), but not 4.3.

Since CC is an AT&T MVNO, I doubt you're permitted to tether on CC - if you do (they can find out), they'll probably terminate your account. (Other AT&T MVNOs have in the past.)

Rooting 4.4.4 might be a problem, since the kernel is probably newer than June 2, 2014 (if not, Towel Root will work.) Check the S3 AT&T forums on XDA Forums to see if anyone has a root method that doesn't trip Knox.
    01-10-2015 04:17 PM
    I've run a hotspot using my old phone (a Motorola Atrix MB860) on CC for a couple years & I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it to one of their reps on the phone at one time. I've never had a problem with them.
    01-10-2015 08:30 PM
    Could I use Safestrap & Odin to root it?
    01-10-2015 08:47 PM
    Yes, use safestrap and a Custom ROM from xda. I highly recommend Goldeneye for your s4. I've used it for over a year as my daily driver and love it. has tethering built in. Try it!!
    01-15-2015 04:13 PM
    Hi all,
    I just purchased an AT&T S4 (SGH-I337) on Swappa & have an issue I hope you can help a me with. Overall I'm happy with the phone but a major problem I'm having is I can't use it as a hotspot. I didn't know this before I bought the phone but after some research I know it has something to do with AT&T locking it so only users with data plans could use it but I'm not using AT&T & I need to be able to use it. As I said it's an AT&T phone but I'm using it with Consumer Cellular and it has stock Android 4.4.4 loaded. It has never been rooted. I've tried FoxFi but couldn't get it to work. I've read there is a way to enable the WiFi hotspot with 4.2/4.3 with out rooting the phone, does this work with 4.4.4 or is it possible to roll back to stock 4.3? If not & I'm going to have to root and/or ROM the phone do you have any suggestions on what to use? Safety, stability, & functionality are the most important features for me. Would a Google Play Edition ROM (would I be able to upgrade to 5.0?) or CyanogenMod be good options for me? I've never rooted or changed the ROM on a phone before. Thanks
    Hello,
    Had my S4 a year now. LOVE IT! I use it as a hot spot always. Try a complete factory reset from Settings. you can back up stuff with "Kies" GL
    01-17-2015 03:18 AM