So I got my AT&T S4 carrier unlocked in a shop and I'm currently using it with a local carrier here in the Philippines.

I'm currently on android 4.2.2 and I've been looking all around the internet but I'm having trouble looking for ways to update to Kitkat.

When I tried updating over wifi it says no update available and asks me to check after 24 hours. Tried inserting the original AT&T sim the phone came with but I think it was already deactivated and now when i try to press software update, it says "DM initialization is not ready. Check network or SIM card."

I've tried using Samsung Kies but it also doesn't show any updates.

I think the guy who unlocked my phone used the Odin software which I am not very familiar with. Now I'm thinking of using it to get Kitkat. Is that possible?

What can you advise?
    02-12-2015 03:19 AM
    Generally, and no offense is meant by this, if you're asking "should I use Odin", then the answer is "no". Spend a week or two reading everything you can find on the xdaforums. When you no longer feel that you need to ask if you should use Odin, then it might be safe for you to actually use Odin. The same is true of any of the other tools out there. The answer to "should I xxxxx?" is always "no" because asking the question means you haven't yet done enough research to feel confident in your ability with that tool.

Dan
    02-12-2015 09:16 AM
    That's not what I asked. I only wanted to know if it was possible to update my s4 to kitkat using Odin.

My only main concern here is that I want to update my unlocked S4 to kitkat, which I am having trouble doing. That's what I was asking advise for. Whether I use odin or not, I really don't care.

Thanks for your answer though and just to clarify, I have read about odin before, but most of what I read were mainly focused on unlocking phones, and not updating them.
    02-13-2015 12:45 AM
    Did you ever get an answer to this question? Aside from the unhelpful one?

I also have an unlocked S4 at an At&T store phone and live overseas now and can not get the updates and wondering how best to accomplish it.
    My phone is rooted but there does not seem to be an at&t rom anywhere.
    05-11-2015 08:38 AM