AT&T Galaxy S4 : Official Lollipop 5.0.1 Update Thread

randun

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to update my phone to Lollipop and I have done that
My phone now runs 5.0.1
Now, I do need to root, how do I do that?
Why the heck do you want to root. Respectfully, just by asking how to root your phone tells me that you need to remain stock. Just my opinion only.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

gdrudd

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Sorry if I am asking this in the wrong spot, but I recently updated my S4, and the one thing I've found about the update that I absolutely hate is the favorite contacts changing to a grid format instead of a list. I actually liked the list format, and I haven't been able to find a way to change it back. A google search also turned up nothing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

ironchefmike

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
I've had three issues since the update to Lollipop:

1. Google Calendar: Displays appointments at the wrong time. For example, and appointment at 3pm on Monday displayed as 3pm on Tuesday. Tasks that I put in for 1pm today displayed at 4am the next day. When I click on the event, the correct date and time are shown, it's just displayed incorrectly on the calendar itself. I tried clearing the cache, but it made no difference.

2. Notification pull-down: I have about 5 seconds before my phone goes into hibernation. Sadly, I couldn't find any setting that could change this.

3. Amazon App store does not seem to work.

Anyone else run into these or suggest a fix?

Thanks!
Mike

kittenauts

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
My only major complain is the colour of the Messaging app and that there's no option to change it. The cheeto coloured orange isn't pleasing to the eye at all, not to mention that it clashes with all of the backgrounds I put on there. If any of you figure out how to change this I would really appreciate it. My eyes are suffering every time I reply to a text!

Another small thing is that when I opened Chrome the option to view tabs had changed from the drop down display at the top of the browser to merging the tabs with my apps. It's a pretty easy fix (Settings - turn "Merge tabs and apps" off) but I wasn't expecting it at all. I'm not sire if this is related to the Lollipop update or not, but I figured I would mention it anyway.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I got the notification of the update a few weeks ago and went ahead with the OTA update from 4.4.4 to 5.0.1. I had a few glitches (Google search bar was gone, and so was my stock phone icon in the dock). I've seen a few glitches along the way, but overall it has worked pretty well. My battery does seem to drain faster than before.

To take care (hopefully) of some of the minor glitches, I'm planning to do a FDR and have been busy logging all my screens and apps and hopefully remember most of the tweaks I've done. I use Nova Prime as my launcher. I've never had much luck backing up settings and such so will plan for the full install and tweak as I rebuild.

Yeehaw. :-!

anon(8373095)

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Why the heck do you want to root. Respectfully, just by asking how to root your phone tells me that you need to remain stock. Just my opinion only.

I want to root to remove ads and to remove the silly "Write Protection" errors and stuff and I do want to keep using Samsung Stock Android

I just want to know how to root this specific phone

gtadamsesq

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
When I tap one of the contacts in "Favorites", instead of showing all the phone numbers for that contact to allow me to choose the number I want to dial, (like it used to), it just starts dialing one of the contacts numbers. Why doesn't tapping a contact give me the phone number options anymore??? Grrrrrr!!!!

SpringCTIL

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Hello:

Since the update from 4.4.4 I have to constantly reboot the phone because it loses its connection to the play store.

Is AT&T going to do any kind of maintenance update to fix any of these issues?

Spring.

Jon Ritchings Jr

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I'm complaining. I didn't want lollipop its the very reason I didn't buy the S5. Is there a way to stop the update from happening without turning off my Wifi? I currently have it waiting but eventually it's going to force me to download it.

randun

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm complaining. I didn't want lollipop its the very reason I didn't buy the S5. Is there a way to stop the update from happening without turning off my Wifi? I currently have it waiting but eventually it's going to force me to download it.
I didn't have enough internal storage for the d/l to complete. Probably still don't as I've not received another notification since.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

jklhill

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
My only major complain is the colour of the Messaging app and that there's no option to change it. The cheeto coloured orange isn't pleasing to the eye at all, not to mention that it clashes with all of the backgrounds I put on there. If any of you figure out how to change this I would really appreciate it. My eyes are suffering every time I reply to a text!

Yep.

jklhill

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I went to best buy at the samsung experience center and they updated my phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

I can't even remember what the problem was but Samsung suggested I have an experience center re-flash my phone. They did and it corrected whatever problem I was having. They were very friendly and helpful. They will be the first place I will go if I ever have a problem I can't figure out on my own again.

Marcome Yates

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
cleared my cache partition and then did a factory reset to hopefully stop the fast battery drain. No such luck. I have my phone set up again and still having battery draining fast. Not sure what else to do. Anyone else have any ideas. Glad I always have my phone charger with me. I have to charge it at least twice a day if not more. Battery drains fast when doing anything.