08-11-2015 09:49 PM
98 123 ...
tools
    AT&T Galaxy S4 owners, Lollipop is now rolling out..

AT&T is rolling out Android 5.0.1 Lollipop for its Samsung Galaxy S4 | Android Central

Feel free to discuss, debate, praise or complain about the update in this thread.

Enjoy!
    randun likes this.
    04-07-2015 02:28 PM
    I plan to do it tonight. Wish I could do it OTA, I have a lot of data right now and my home wifi is stupidly slow because it's Verizon DSL without FIOS.... But I'm going to do it and try it out.
    04-07-2015 03:25 PM
    I see the supposed enhancements but what are the caveats of updating to 5.0.1?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    04-07-2015 04:59 PM
    Downloaded ota, phone restarted and said that it could not update. Connected to kies and it says that there are no new updates.
    Kristina Bravo likes this.
    04-07-2015 05:06 PM
    This update took FOR. EVER. But it's finally done, 2 1/2 hours after I began. It will take me awhile I think to see how it is going to play out. Phone appears a little more responsive, in general. Color scheme of stock email and notifications are electric sky blue, which may not be everyone's cup of tea. Stock email app looks to me like it has less contrast (in my inbox, the read messages are even more grey on grey, which tells me this idea was put in place by people under 40 who still have excellent vision...), and it has lost its delete confirmation notification. I can't find a way to bring that back. There is a little message at the bottom that says you can undo the deletion if you do it within the few seconds that it displays, so I suppose that's their replacement for the delete confirmation. There seems to be a little new bloatware. Not much change at a quick glance.
    04-07-2015 07:07 PM
    Absolutely smooth download and installation. Took an hour and a half. System is definitely faster and everything seems to be working perfectly. The new look is wonderful. Also don't forget to wipe the cache partition after the installation. So far, so good!! Only time will tell.
    04-07-2015 07:39 PM
    How do u wipe the cache? About 15 min into the download and 14% so far

Thanks for the info
    04-07-2015 08:14 PM
    To boot in recovery and wipe cache partition, follow these steps:
    1.Press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons.
    2.Release the Power button when the phone vibrates but continue holding on to the Volume Up and Home buttons.
    3.When the Android System Recovery screen appears, release both the Home and Volume Up buttons.
    4.Using the Volume Down key, highlight ‘wipe cache partition.’
    5.Press the Power button to select the option.
    6.The phone will automatically highlight to restart once cache data are wiped out. Press the power button to restart.
    Good luck
    04-07-2015 08:27 PM
    Happened to notice that the option to set the phone to vibrate, if you long-press the power button, isn't there anymore, if you long-press the power button you get shut down or restart but not the mute and vibrate choices you used to get before. I'm sure this now appears somewhere else equally easy to get to, but I haven't found it yet and this is useful to know about for when I'm walking into a meeting, to quickly silence the phone.
    04-07-2015 08:35 PM
    Use the sound icon in your notification panel.
    04-07-2015 09:31 PM
    Happened to notice that the option to set the phone to vibrate, if you long-press the power button, isn't there anymore, if you long-press the power button you get shut down or restart but not the mute and vibrate choices you used to get before. I'm sure this now appears somewhere else equally easy to get to, but I haven't found it yet and this is useful to know about for when I'm walking into a meeting, to quickly silence the phone.
    There are two options

1) you can click on the sound icon in do down and it moves between mute, silence and sound
    2) click volume up or down and touch settings you will see lot of options

Posted via the Android Central App
    fotyc likes this.
    04-08-2015 02:24 AM
    After the update the swipe seems smoother, and all actions seem smoother. I don't care for the colors of some apps, texting is the one I don't like the most. Battery drained over night faster the normal, going to have to keep an eye on this. So far so good
    04-08-2015 07:22 AM
    Volume down button does this. Same as before.
    04-08-2015 07:25 AM
    Downloaded ota, phone restarted and said that it could not update. Connected to kies and it says that there are no new updates.
    I'm getting the same, kies has nothing and I keep getting "update interrupted" ota
    04-08-2015 11:57 AM
    Could someone point me to a discussion of issues with Lollipop & the S4. I'm hearing about the loss of numerous functions including loss of notifications. Tx

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    04-08-2015 12:01 PM
    I'm getting the same, kies has nothing and I keep getting "update interrupted" ota
    Same here ,maybe it's just the area we are in. Try again tonight.

Posted via Android Central App
    04-08-2015 12:25 PM
    I saw a post in the general Lollipop threads about this, and someone there said the only devices reporting it are Samsungs. The 'battery 100% charged' notification is huge and cannot be dismissed - you can't get access to the notifications bar and everything else up there until you unplug the charger. Has anyone found a way to configure this notification or dismiss it? So far I am not having any issues with my S4 and it's better behaved. There may be new settings that I need to configure, that I don't know about, but I have not had any problems.

ETA googled quickly and saw it is also happening on at least some LG devices...
    04-08-2015 01:10 PM
    Some one said on another thread about needing to have 3gb internal memory free for the install to work. After clearing some internal memory and booting the phone into recovery mode and clearing the internal cache it installed with out any trouble, I'm not sure witch one helped but it worked. Also if you manually change the date on your phone forward you do not have to wait the 24hrs to redownload
    04-08-2015 07:14 PM
    I have noticed that on lolli that the bluetooth to my car doesn't send track info anymore. Is there an option anywhere to correct that. (using milk music). I have a 2012 mazda 3
    04-08-2015 07:49 PM
    The Google Now search widget disappeared after updating. I've tried to drag the widget back to the home screen, but I get a "Touchwiz has stopped" pop up and I'm unable to do anything.

It's going to take me a little while to figure out where everything is now.
    04-09-2015 08:41 AM
    When its plugged in and you get that "Battery 100% charged" notification, just swipe it to the left and it will go back into your dropdown notification.
    04-09-2015 11:16 AM
    Ok. For the most part i do like lollipop with a few minor things ive noticed. 1)when i had notifications on for the lockscreen...when i tried to swipe them to open the email/text...it didnt work, just kept telling me to swipe to unlock at the bottom. 2)my data off/on widget is now unusable. Ive been told that with the quick settings pulldown...if you pull then pull again you can get carrier specific information, but that seams to be in just the nexus phones....not touchwiz. Also...question Is there a way to get the email and text icons to also work on the lockscreen....
    04-09-2015 12:03 PM
    So I'm going to jump in and do the update since I can't get rid of the update notification on my screen lol

Quick question before I update... I've read before that it is recommended to not only clear the cache but to also do a factory reset BEFORE the update; I guess so that it updates on a clean start and then do another clear cache and factory reset AFTER the udpate.

Is this still necessary or recommended?

Thanks!
    04-09-2015 08:25 PM
    I didn't clear the cache or do a reset on my wifes S4 when I updated it day before yesterday and she hasn't hit me yet, so, I am assuming it is working fine. Clearing the cache is probably a good idea but I wouldnt do a factory reset unless you are having problems after the update.

Sent from my SM-T320
    LuvrGirl likes this.
    04-10-2015 01:47 AM
    I cleared the cache after I did the update but didn't do a factory reset. So far I like the update, it seems a little more battery efficient (nothing thrilling, but it isn't a bunch worse like the later KitKat updates) and the screen is responsive. I also have a tablet that I just bought that got the update. So far so good.
    LuvrGirl likes this.
    04-10-2015 08:57 AM
98 123 ...