Help? Lollipop Lock Screen Timeout Setting?

nearlysober80

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way to change the amount of time the lock screen PIN entry will stay active?

Right now, when I wake the screen up via the power button or home button, if my phone is locked I have about 3 seconds to interact with it to start entering my PIN before it goes black again.

Having notifications on the lock screen is cool! But... problem is if I stop for a second to read my notifications, the screen will literally go black on my right as I'm reaching to start inputting my PIN! Very frustrating. Basically makes notifications on the lock screen pointless.

My phone is almost always locked as it's set to a very short time in due to work security requirements.

I cannot find the setting to change the lock screen timeout anywhere. Does it exist?

robrilla

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
I bet you have power saving mode turned on. This is a really annoying "feature" with power saving mode.

Turn off power saving mode to increase your timeout. Rumor has it that Smart Lock will possibly extend the timeout but I haven't tried that.

This has been a bug, I mean feature, since the S3 or something like that.

I just suck it up and deal with the bug :(

Hope this helps,
-Rob

Posted via the Android Central App

nearlysober80

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the answer.

Yeah I always have power saving mode on. Guess I'll have to live with it as I don't want to disable power savings since my phone barely makes it through a full day of moderate use if I can't plug in :)

I probably never noticed it before as without notifications there was no reason to stare at the lock screen. I'll just have to get faster at scanning the notifications I suppose.

Terry Berrier

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Turning off the power saving mode definitely fixed the issue. I had Kit Kat before I had this nightmare called lollipop and it was so much faster running and smoother so I don't know what in the hell they call this lollipop upgrade but I'm going to find a way to revert to KitKat ASAP! Android KitKat does not have this issue with power saving mode on the lock screen. thank you for your information! I haven't reviewed the forums about this new OS yet, are there any features worth a s*** compared to KitKat? That you are aware of at least?

brendaaliana

May 19, 2015
Visit site
Wow, what an unsatisfying solution! Certainly not your fault, but this is very Androidnoying. My company requires an 8 digit password for using the S4 for e-mail, so it normally means 2-3 tries before I can even get the screen to stay on to enter the password if I'm not right on top of things. I can't afford to turn off the power saver.

I hope Google fixes this...:-$

Marinescu Stefan

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
cheers mate..are you having problems after update from 4.4 to 5.0? i had this issue on my note 3.. i did a factory reset and now the lockscreen stays on for more than 8 seconds, with power saving enabled. so, you can try a factory reset..cheers . p.s. i've registred here just so i can give you this advice, because i know how frustrating it was!

goomy

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Did you downgrade back to 4.4? This timeout has been irritating me a lot, especially since my touchscreen has been getting worse and my screen turns off while I'm typing my pin.

postmaster87

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
For s6 here is the location:
Settings>Display>Screen timeout
Here you can select 15 or 30s and 1,2,5, or 10m. Be aware I have the edge but would imagine its the same for all s6's. I'm running 5.1.1

K Bigs

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
There's a way to leave power saving mode on and increase the lock screen timeout. Settings -> Device -> Display -> Smart Stay. This feature leaves the screen on so long as you're looking at it.

James Palik

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
Smart stay is on and my lock screen is still too short. I at least 15 seconds

Why can't Android or Samsung provide a lock screen time out setting allowing different choices or variable slider

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital