Just a Hello and what's your smartphone timeline? also an apology

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I'm Gene which is my username in numerics if any are confused.

To start, I was an IT tech, my first smartphone was the AT&T 8525(HTC Tytn) winmo6 with custom roms from XDA, but I was also carrying a Nextel i860 as personal. That was a fun time. Dropped the Nextel because work was paying for AT&T. Then the iPhone came along but I didn't quite like the specs of it just yet so I waited. Kept telling other iPhone owners it wasn't anything special. I got some crap phone because I left my 8525 on roof of car and drove off. haha. Then iPhone 3g came out and I still wasn't impressed, spec wise. Playing around with it wasn't a smooth experience. I then waited with the crap phone til the HTC Fuze(like the name similarity :p) came out. WinMo6.5 and about to slam a custom rom in it til BAM the iPhone 3GS was released. I was hooked when I first got it, fast and made ui feel good. I felt "elite" walking around with it first day it came out(no reserve too). Birthday rolled around and got $150 worth of itunes cards and I just bought every useful app i could think of. It was an exciting year. No jailbreak because for what I used it for, didn't need to be. Then after a while of being used to the same old UI and the glamour apps stuck in dozens of folders (300+ apps). It kind of plateaued for me, the iPhone experience. The 4 came out and wasn't impressed (laughed at their antenna issues). My 3GS still kept up with me so why change. During this whole time Android was released, I ignored it because I was a spec whore and all devices out were laughable to me with the 3GS in hand. I knew how customization and open it was but the hardware/feeling didn't fit me when I tried it out in store. Mind you it was less than a minute of trying it out. So I wanted to wait for the iPhone 5/4s just to see. But it dragged on for so long I became impatient. My cousin bought the Motorola Atrix but he had no idea how Android worked or how to customize it, so I used it for an hour figuring it all out. I thought to myself this is like a mix of winmo6.5 and ios to me but more winmo file system with a better UI and ios app structure(each app is it's own module). I felt right at home almost instantly. So from then on I wanted an Android phone but I wanted to wait a bit for something else because AT&T didn't let the Atrix install 3rd party apps. Yes, rooting it would give me that but I just didn't want to on Atrix fearing something better would come. And that it did. I watched this AT&T commercial with the whole spider thing and thought... AT&T blah blah, she screams so loud, that was a weird 4G commercial. It was not until the commercial with the eagle came along that I noticed the PHONE!!! That was like weeks later, I've been tuning out that spider commercial. WTF is wrong with me, I looked it up on AT&T. 4.5" screen??????????????:confused: Holy momma, that was it for me. Went in the next day, never looked back since. Apple can eat me although I do use my 3GS now as an iPod for workouts. That's just a summary of my smartphone life

Apologies to Android and all its glory, I should have known.... :'(

TL;DR~ *reddit lurker for years
AT&T 8525 - winmo6 custom roms from XDA (Schaps if I remember correctly)
HTC Fuze - stock
iPhone3GS - stock
Samsung Infuse 4G - stock but recently rooted. Waiting on CM7 stable release

edit* that crap phone was the Pantech Matrix, what a crappy bump in my smartphone era

Last edited:

Scottyb

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Samsung Blackjack, iPhone 3g, iPhone 4, Samsung Infuse.

Happy with Infuse for now. I will upgrade to another android phone more than likely when I'm eligible on my iPhone 4 contract next spring/summer.

Sent from my Samsung Infuse using tapatalk

2Munkeez

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Nokia 6600 (arguably a feature phone, but was WAY ahead of its time), then to a HTC Dash, then a HTC Fuze, then Touch Pro 2, now an Infuse.

There was a HTC G1 in between the Dash and the Fuze. I loved that device, my first android, but had to switch to att so only had it for a few daze. Always knew I'd make it back to an android device and now I have :)

Last edited by a moderator:

sphinx23

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: Just a Hello and what's your smartphone timeline? also an apo

I've been with Blackberry for a long time,started with the curve to the bold to the torch,which lead to the Samsung Infuse

aapold

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Motorolla q9h global -> Fuze (Touch Pro) -> Palm Pre+ -> Infuse.

Briefly used a Samsung Focus before going to Infuse.

keelon.ellis

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

My first smartphone was the Palm Treo 680...at the time I didn't know a lot about smartphones so I didn't get to use it to its full potential before someone hit it with a basketball and busted the screen...after the extreme devastation of losing that phone I dug my old Nokia N-Gage QD out of a drawer and used it till christmas came around and got the Palm Treo 750 with Windows Mobile 5...I upgraded to 6 and kept it until my friend let me his Blackberry Curve 8300 which had me hooked on BBs for awhile...I went from that to the Curve 8900 which I kept until the trackball messed up...so I wanted a little change...and I thought back to the Treos I had and wondered if the new Palms were worth using...so I got the Palm Pixi Plus...slight mistake...I've never had so many problems out of a phone...so my friend upgraded to a Samsung Captivate and I was offered his Blackberry Bold 9000...needless to say I took without hesitation...and kept it until I got the Blackberry Torch 9800 for christmas...about 2 months after christmas I dropped the Torch during a call...just had got the otterbox the day before...and had never dropped it...I picked it up and it was like the Treo 680 all over again...except the screen still worked...so ive finally fixed that problem and got me the Samsung Infuse...and there's no way I'm ever leaving Android!

Palm Treo 680
Palm Treo 750
Blackberry 8300
Blackberry 8900
Palm Pixi Plus
Blackberry Bold 9000
Blackberry Torch 9800
Samsung Infuse

kc8flb

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site

Handspring Treo 600
Palm Treo 650
Palm Treo 700P
Palm Treo 755P
Palm Treo 800W
Samsung Epic 4G
Samsung Infuse

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site

AT&T tilt
BlackBerry 8330
BlackBerry 9000
IPhone 3GS
Palm Pre
HTC Hero
BlackBerry Bold 9650
EVO 4G
Droid X
Droid 2 Global
Nexus S 4G
iPhone 4

tamelion1117

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

Moto Q (winmo 5.0), Moto Q 9c (winmo 6.1), Blackberry bold 9000 (at&t), Blackberry bold 9700 -also at&t, after replacing my bold several times they decided to bump me up to the 9700. I refused to upgrade to the 6.0 os, because I had used it for a little while and I hated it. Then Finally, I joined the Android revolution with my samsung Infuse and I love it. :D

JtothaR

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site

Motorola v60i (2000-2001)
Danger T-Mobile Sidekick Color (2002)
Nokia 6600 (2003)
Danger T-Mobile Sidekick 2 (2004)
Nokia N90 (2005)
Blackberry 7290 (2006-07)
Blackberry 8700 (2007)
Blackberry 8820 (2008)