Official GB on Infuse....your thoughts?

Th3Ju99anaut

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Just curious for those of us who have the official version of GB on their Infuse....What do you think?

So far I feel like it wasn't worth the trouble of being inpatient and running the "Unbrick" program just to get it...because I'm not that impressed...maybe someone can change my mind for me.

Here are my problems...

I actually don't like the Interface...the scroll down menu didn't need to change in my opinion it looks more generic...

It feels a bit unresponsive to the touch...could be me though...

The battery life is better but not as great as some who have custom ROMS claim they're getting...I still have to charge the hell out of this thing...

A lot of crashes of Apps and other programs have happened a lot since the update...I don't know if that's attributed to it or not but I didn't have these issues before...

I also don't notice HSPA+ being faster in download speeds...again that could be me or maybe my area doesn't have much of a signal.

If anyone has any input I'd love to hear it...

Or should I just run GTG Unbrick again put it back to factory....Root it and learn to flash a custom ROM?

Basically to all those that are impatient...just be patient...you're not really missing much.:-\

robjob19

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree that it's not a huge spectacular thing - but to your points regarding performance I've had improved in all facets you've seemed to somehow miss out on. (sorry brah)

my battery lasts noticeably longer, have had no system stability issues (yet), responsiveness is the same as it ever was(and the days go by), and I like the improved appearance - the old look was just so boxy.

I would say flash and Root if you really want to get crazy:cool:

anon(123479)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree myself. Portions of the screen seem to be un-responsive. Example: Engadget when changing screens, the 'next' button has no response. When texting, some of the key on the lower left and right don't have any response. Also noticed the picture gallery is very jerky and slow as heck.
I thought I was going to love this new update, but after reviewing it for several days, back to "FroYo I Go".
They tried....I guess....
Everything is back to normal. Responsive screen and all....

yangstyle

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I ran the GB update for a couple of days and then decided it wasn't worth it. Note that, as a rule, I like to run stock on my gadgets just to minimize the amount of time I have to spend tweaking and worrying about an OTA update that will break whatever custom thing I am running.

However, with this phone, after that update last week, I decided to flash a custom ROM. I have been running Zeus 5.2 with the ICS theme for a few days now and I have no complaints.

For example, last night, I noticed my battery was down to 53% before going to bed. Looking at the battery info in the settings, the phone had been running 18 hours on battery and still had a little over half the charge left. I did make a few phone calls, surf the web and add some apps during the day. Not a heavy day since I was working from home. However, I never got this from the stock ROM. YMMV.

Th3Ju99anaut

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I ran the GB update for a couple of days and then decided it wasn't worth it. Note that, as a rule, I like to run stock on my gadgets just to minimize the amount of time I have to spend tweaking and worrying about an OTA update that will break whatever custom thing I am running.

However, with this phone, after that update last week, I decided to flash a custom ROM. I have been running Zeus 5.2 with the ICS theme for a few days now and I have no complaints.

For example, last night, I noticed my battery was down to 53% before going to bed. Looking at the battery info in the settings, the phone had been running 18 hours on battery and still had a little over half the charge left. I did make a few phone calls, surf the web and add some apps during the day. Not a heavy day since I was working from home. However, I never got this from the stock ROM. YMMV.

Sorry I'm a bit confused about this post...you're running a custom ROM with the GB update or you put it back to factory and froyo and flashed Zues afterwards? Just trying to clarify.

Teyshablue

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I've had a pretty good experience with GB. My phone is noticeably smoother, the battery life has improved moderately, and my GPS has been locking in under 4 seconds. No touch screen issues...guess I dodged that bullet. It's literally like a new phone.

Th3Ju99anaut

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I've had a pretty good experience with GB. My phone is noticeably smoother, the battery life has improved moderately, and my GPS has been locking in under 4 seconds. No touch screen issues...guess I dodged that bullet. It's literally like a new phone.

Well I thought I did too...but lately it seems a lot of my apps force close which I don't recall happening much on Froyo and even though I like to run GO Launcher for a different UI I'll turn it off and the phone still has issues...Not sure if Go Launcher even effects it...I'm just messing with it trying to make it run it's best.

AustinBear

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I've also found the keyboard to be (much) less responsive. I also don't like some of the UI look/feel as much as the older version.

The other thing I'm finding is the email client is not working using IMAP.

Other than that, I'm happier. I was having alot of crashing issues and that's why I was so anxious to upgrade.

Rhamza

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Very unresponsive screen on edges, touch doesn't seem to work as accurately (I use to use hacker keyboard but with new update i would need a needle to touch the right key all the time!) I noticed while playing angry birds it would randomly release or 'tap' the screen doing somethign unwanted. I'm going to try zeus this weekend...this is ridiculous. Oh, and battery life is essentially the same for me...not enjoying this update at all.

I knew that I would have to update my apps to work with GB but I've had to uninstall and reinstall more than 3 apps more than once and the phone have reset about 5 times already...

Last edited:

yohannie

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
The update is great overall, but I have two complaints:

1) it rendered a third of my music library as "unknown" for the tag... They showed up perfectly in Froyo, and this didn't fix after I did the factory reset and did all these other things...

2) for some reason, Facebook photos are not uploading correctly and they are sideways

3) games are laggy

Everything else though, I'm loving.

AustinBear

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Here is another issue - I found that IMAP does not work after the upgrade. I have an IMAP account that worked before the upgrade, didn't work after with the same settings. Worked fine on PC. I downloaded K-9 and it works fine there, just not on the native Android mail client.

Did some searching across all AC forums and found that many others experienced the same. In my case I got no errors, it just didn't fetch any mail.

droidor

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Wasn't too happy with the upgrade. Issues I was having were with the touchscreen no longer being all that accurate, when going to unlock the phone whatever I was doing prior to the lock flashed up then showed the lock screen.Also loosing root was another,as well as just over all sluggishness. I gave it a few days to "settle" and it never got better. So I blew it away and flashed zeus on it. So far so good , the phone seems "supercharged" waaaay more responsive and faster than it has ever been, and to top it off I can get 12+ hours on one charge depending on what Im doing that day. For those of you debating it , just do it ;)

westshotgun

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
There shouldn't be noticeable difference between Froyo and GB. GB just fixed some of the minor problems in Froyo, and improve battery life and ram/memory management. So far, I like GB update and no intention of going back to Froyo... Yes touch seems little bit unresponsive but not a huge issue for me.

I might try rooting and flash custom roms. I hear lots of good stuffs about several roms.
Problem is I'm just too lazy to do it :-\. Plus I don't really want to risk anything

Th3Ju99anaut

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
There shouldn't be noticeable difference between Froyo and GB. GB just fixed some of the minor problems in Froyo, and improve battery life and ram/memory management. So far, I like GB update and no intention of going back to Froyo... Yes touch seems little bit unresponsive but not a huge issue for me.

I might try rooting and flash custom roms. I hear lots of good stuffs about several roms.
Problem is I'm just too lazy to do it :-\. Plus I don't really want to risk anything

Problem is you won't be able to root and flash a rom unless you go back to Froyo.

Th3Ju99anaut

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Wasn't too happy with the upgrade. Issues I was having were with the touchscreen no longer being all that accurate, when going to unlock the phone whatever I was doing prior to the lock flashed up then showed the lock screen.Also loosing root was another,as well as just over all sluggishness. I gave it a few days to "settle" and it never got better. So I blew it away and flashed zeus on it. So far so good , the phone seems "supercharged" waaaay more responsive and faster than it has ever been, and to top it off I can get 12+ hours on one charge depending on what Im doing that day. For those of you debating it , just do it ;)

so you re-ran the Ubrick program and went back to Froyo and then Rooted and flashed Zeus right? Do you mind kind of giving me a run down? I've never flashed a ROM and running the GTGunbrick was the first thing I've ever done like that on this phone.

droidor

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
so you re-ran the Ubrick program and went back to Froyo and then Rooted and flashed Zeus right? Do you mind kind of giving me a run down? I've never flashed a ROM and running the GTGunbrick was the first thing I've ever done like that on this phone.

Yep , you pretty much got the steps Ive taken , but Ill run em down anyways ;)

#1 Ran the gtg unbrick[ODIN][UCKD5] GTG's Ultimate Unbrick - Return to stock - Working PIT included - xda-developers

#2 Used superoneclick 2.3.2 to root

#3 3e recovery/clockworkrecovery follow this vid [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y09p-J_g_Rg[/YT]
Keep in mind when you replace the recovery file with the downloaded from this youtube vid you will need to adjust the files permissions , if you do not you will have to start over at step one in this post because the phone is not going to boot and be stuck at the samsung splash screen.

#4 DOWNLOAD ZEUS http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&drKey=1359&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.xda-developers.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D1412957&v=1&libid=1328878965946&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theandroidcollective.org%2FInfuse%2FZeus_Build_5.2.zip&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.xda-developers.com%2Fforumdisplay.php%3Ff%3D1161&title=%5BROM%5D%5BUCKL2%5D%5B2.3.6%5DALL%20HAIL%20*Z*E*U*S*The%20Collective%5B1%2F27%2F12%5DARIES%20AND%20ICS%20THEMES!%20-%20xda-developers&txt=%3Cfont%20color%3D%22DarkOrange%22%3E%3Cfont%20size%3D%225%22%3EDOWNLOAD%20ZEUS%20BUILD%205.2%20HERE%3C%2Ffont%3E%3C%2Ffont%3E&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13288792914892
PLACE ON ROOT OF SDCARD
USE 3 FINGER COMBO(VOL UP, VOL DOWN, AND POWER)TO BOOT INTO CWM
DO A NANDROID BACKUP
WIPE DATA, CACHE, AND DALVIK CACHE
CHOOSE INSTALL FROM SDCARD
CHOOSE ZIP FROM SDCARD
CHOOSE ZEUS BUILD 5 UPDATE ZIP
CHOOSE YES
FLASH ZIP
REBOOT AND ENJOY

After that I downloaded the ics theme for zeus and boom , thats it , youre all done , hope this helps

Thanks to The Collective for an awesome ROM and even better instructions. Check the thread at XDA for more info or to reinterate what Ive already gone into [ROM][UCKL2][2.3.6]ALL HAIL *Z*E*U*S*The Collective[1/27/12]ARIES AND ICS THEMES! - xda-developers

Reactions: reefrunway

wampa888

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed great improvements so far running GB:

-Significantly Better battery life!
-No more random/unwanted shutdowns when charging overnight
-HPSA+ has been faster
-I like the new appearance #SickOfFroyo

My only complaint is that Ive had to reinstall YahMsgr like 3 times now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12