email connection error

JT Peters

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Trying to set up the default email client in Gingerbread. I like how everything seems to go automatically, however, on one account (I have 3) get "connection error" when trying to send. I've received suggestions from the Support Folks and have tried them with no luck. I d/l Go Mail Widget and it works just fine using the setting I tried with the default email client. Any suggestions?

Cranky

Professional
May 27, 2011
Visit site
Trying to set up the default email client in Gingerbread. I like how everything seems to go automatically, however, on one account (I have 3) get "connection error" when trying to send. I've received suggestions from the Support Folks and have tried them with no luck. I d/l Go Mail Widget and it works just fine using the setting I tried with the default email client. Any suggestions?

You don't say who your provider is, but check their site for details on setting up the email manually instead of using the automatic settings.

Like one of my email accounts I have to set it to imap instead of pop.

JT Peters

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Interesting: For the default GB mail app, when I use the email provider's settings for outgoing mail the phone can't finish the setup. When I use the auto setup it sets up but can't send. (but the GO Email Widget can).

When I change the outgoing server to my local ISP's email setting I can send. I thought the local ISP (Cox) had something to do with it at first until I learned I could send using the GO Widget.

johnyrm

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I have similar problem; I have three accounts, one Gmail, one Google apps for domain, and a third one, all using imap.

No problems until the beginning of September (actually Ithink I noticed the error appearing begore a few times, but eventually everything got synced...).

I only have the problem with the Google domain account now -which is a work email, and has to work...Anyone has a solution for the default email (@) application? I see several people have been experiencing a problem since August / also browsing some other forums. I would not want to install K9 app, though - but if no solution will be available soon I guess I will have to?:)

So if u are aware how to tacle this issue, please share.

hieu08

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I actually just recently wrote a post on the same concern. This email syncing problem happened to me right after I upgraded to Gingerbread. Actually, I think it occurred a little after while everything was readjusting and updating itself. I am unsure why it will not sync any emails. When I insert all the IMAP information, it process successfully up to the actual syncing part. I keep refreshing and reloading, nothing shows up. Let me know if you see a solution!

KBossin

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
My Earthlink email workaround. After two years problem free I couldn?t access email at Earthlink on my T-Mobile G2 (Gingerbread). I upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy Note II, tried setting up email as instructed, and kept getting the same message about being unable to connect to the server. It took some research and trial and error, but I finally found a way to access Earthlink email on my phone..

Go to Google.com and set up a Gmail account if you don?t have one already. Go into your Gmail, click the cogwheel (upper right), click Settings. Click ?Accounts and import? at the top. In the ?Check mail from other accounts (using POP3), click on "add POP3 mail account you own.? Then ?Enter the email address of the account to get mail from? (in my case it was an Earthlink address). Click ?Next.? You should see the POP3 server and port already entered. Enter your password. Check the options you want, but for Earthlink (and maybe others?), Do not check ?Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail.? Then Click ?Add Account.? Next time you go into Gmail, you should see your Earthlink email. Because you?ve added the Earthlink account, you can choose which address you want your email to show as ?From.? And you'll get notifications when you get email from Gmail and Earthlink. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

JT Peters

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I can get the mail from the "bad" account. I just can't use it to send. So I use my Cox.net account by default to send. Don't want to use my gMail to send as people will respond and it only goes to my phone and not my PC. Works.

KBossin

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: email connection error--sending too

Glad to be of help. You may be able to send email too with the address you want. My Gmail Inbox shows the Earthlink user name by the date on the left side of the screen so I know the source of each email. I can send email from my phone using my Earthlink email address by using Gmail's Compose. At the top of the Compose screen it shows my Gmail address with a tiny flag/triangle at the end of the faint underline. Click on that flag. A box drops down which shows the Gmail address but also offers the option "Send mail as" your other, preferred email address. Your mail sent from Gmail will then show up on your "good" email account on the PC. Hope this takes care of it.

Trinni28

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: email connection error--sending too

Hi all,

I'm experiencing a similar issue.

Have 2 e-mail accounts set up on the samsung galaxy; work fine. However, trying to set up a third and when I walk through the stages - add acc name, password, imap/pop3 etc. - I am then prompted with an error msg: 'unable to connect to server...' does anybody have any clues as to how to work round this?

Many tks.