can't set up gmail on phone

Alfredo Levy

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
When I try to set up email on phone and put in gmail user name and password I get a message that they don't match. I confirm by signing onto gmail without the auto complete with same info and it's successful but still can't set it up on phone. If I try create an account, I get a message that the user name is taken. How do i get around this?

Last edited:

electricpete

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Do you have two-step verification?
If you do, your device isn't looking for your normal password... it's looking for an application specific password Poke around the 2-step verification pages for how to get that.

Alfredo Levy

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I have 2step verification, if that's where if google/gmail sees a different computer it asks for a # sent to my cell. It's become inconvenient and would like to disable, so I'm having trouble finding anything to poke around. I'm not as computer savvy as others once I get beyond running the programs I need for work or basic file sharing. Any guidance for this old fart?
Created new account with new username & password. I'm still told name and password don't match.
When I set up the new account I received several welcoming emails from Gmail, I followed the instructions on how to get Gmail for mobile/how to get the GMail app/visited m.google.com/mail/google play and believed to have downloaded the gmail app. I even went to the app store and tried to purchase an app; had to set up the G Wallet. I still can't buy the app- I got message that I don't have any devices. Then I tried to sign in the new email account and again got the message of non-matching username-password!
Any more ideas? I'n trying not to give up yet...

Kerri Gingerich

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
As stated on the Google Apps Documentation and Support;

Users enrolled in 2-step verification need to periodically enter a special verification code, in addition to their username and password, to sign in to Google Apps. When signing in from a web browser, they're prompted to enter this code after entering your password. However, desktop and mobile applications aren't configured to accept a verification code?there's no field for entering it. In these cases, they need to sign in by entering another type of code?called an application-specific password?in place of their Google Account password.

Signing in using application-specific passwords - Accounts Help

electricpete

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Yup. Read the stuff at Kerri's link.
2-step verification can be a little tricky, but actually is a significant enhancement to your email account security.
For most people, I would recommend to spend the time to figure out 2-step verification and keep it.

donna1132

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
If you have a secondary security step on your gmail account, you have to turn it off
Mine was doing the same as yours until I turned off the security verification.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad