no radio?

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean by a Radio? Or FM Radio Reciever? Explain a little better if you can. Do you mean like why didnt the Infuse come with an Application installed already for a radio? Or Why doesnt the Infuse have the ability to play an FM Radio? Cause if thats what your trying to figure out, the Infuse and a majority of Androids, If not all of them can play FM Radios. Download TuneIn from the Market. Its free and you can stream your local stations along with other stations of your interest in the United States. I use TuneIn to listen to my local Hip Hop and R&B stations and even the Stations in NJ where I lived before I moved to North Carolina. Give it a shot, tell me how that works for you.

Nick

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
he means as some late htc devices have had built in fm reciever where you plug in headphones and they act as an antenna.

no the infuse does not have this feature as it seems counterintuitive to the advancement of technology to support analog radio. Currently only HTC is putting fm recievers in their devices.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Hmm. I dont know much about that. Explain that to me if you can. Plug in headphones and the phone acts as an antenna? Is that what you mean? If so what is that for? You can see I dont listen to the radio to much lol.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Hmm. I dont know much about that. Explain that to me if you can. Plug in headphones and the phone acts as an antenna? Is that what you mean? If so what is that for? You can see I dont listen to the radio to much lol.

Yea since as most are familiar fm radio requires an antenna to recieve signal since there not much room in the device for one (lets use the htc droid incredible as example) there is a built htc app as the phone has an fm tuner like a car and you can tune into your local stations, however since there is no antenna htc uses headphone (any will do ) somehow the metal wires when plugged into the headphone jack act as an antenna and greatly improve the signal.

MARS1

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Motorola XT720 here, comes with headphones serving as antenna for FM tuner built in to the phone...

Not using it at all...

They should have probably spent more time designing a phone that download apps directly from the market (rather than PC transfer) than putting that useless gadget....:mad:

Just my opinion...

2Munkeez

May 11, 2011
Visit site
he means as some late htc devices have had built in fm reciever where you plug in headphones and they act as an antenna.

no the infuse does not have this feature as it seems counterintuitive to the advancement of technology to support analog radio. Currently only HTC is putting fm recievers in their devices.

Yep, that's exactly what I was talking about. Hmmm only HTC, eh? I'll remember that. My last device was an HTC and I actually miss the ability to plug in some earphones and get live, local radio broadcasts in real time. Oh well, gotta take the bad with the good, I guess. It's just odd that I've ran into two issues where my last device out performs my current. Oh well, just proves there is no perfect mobile and means I'll never have to stop searching for it :-D

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Yea some companies feel differebt about features htc does an excellent job with packing in a lot of features into their devices

Sent from my SAMSUNG Infuse using Tapatalk

Duard

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Seriously, you need to try TuneIn. It *IS* live, local radio broadcasts in real time. Well, maybe not exactly real time. I checked and my local news station was running about 60 to 90 seconds behind the OTAgo broadcast. Which is okay as long as you are not setting your watch by it, or trying to run a write scam ;-)

mark.pitcock

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Most people are not aware of the fact that many cellphones have an FM radio receiver in them. As I understand it, if the cellphone has one of the Broadcom chips in it (don't know if the Infuse does since I haven't seen a teardown report) then this chip provides a combination of recievers, wifi, bluetooth, etc. and it also has a FM radio receiver. Like most devices of this type it uses the headphone as an antenna. I had a Dell Streak before the Infuse and even though they didn't advertise it, the Streak is capable of receiving FM radio and I have used it that way before and it picks up stations pretty well. In fact, the iPhone 3G and 3GS also had this chip but Apple never provided an app to access this feature.

As to why someone would want this feature, there are many times when you don't have and can't get an internet connection to stream a station. Plus streaming fails a lot. When I go to ballgames at my local university, I like to listen to the play by play from the radio because you can get more information than by just watching so there are legitimate uses for an FM radio receiver in a cell phone. It's not a deal breaker for me but it would be a nice addition if the Infuse was capable of it.

2Munkeez

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Seriously, you need to try TuneIn. It *IS* live, local radio broadcasts in real time. Well, maybe not exactly real time. I checked and my local news station was running about 60 to 90 seconds behind the OTAgo broadcast. Which is okay as long as you are not setting your watch by it, or trying to run a write scam ;-)

While this isn't exactly what I wanted, it is seriously freaking cool and I appreciate the recommendation. I really wish the Infuse had an actual radio. That way I would have a backup means of receiving information in the event of a disaster that knocked out the avenues we're used to. However, this app is awesome!

2Munkeez

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Most people are not aware of the fact that many cellphones have an FM radio receiver in them. As I understand it, if the cellphone has one of the Broadcom chips in it (don't know if the Infuse does since I haven't seen a teardown report) then this chip provides a combination of recievers, wifi, bluetooth, etc. and it also has a FM radio receiver. Like most devices of this type it uses the headphone as an antenna. I had a Dell Streak before the Infuse and even though they didn't advertise it, the Streak is capable of receiving FM radio and I have used it that way before and it picks up stations pretty well. In fact, the iPhone 3G and 3GS also had this chip but Apple never provided an app to access this feature.

As to why someone would want this feature, there are many times when you don't have and can't get an internet connection to stream a station. Plus streaming fails a lot. When I go to ballgames at my local university, I like to listen to the play by play from the radio because you can get more information than by just watching so there are legitimate uses for an FM radio receiver in a cell phone. It's not a deal breaker for me but it would be a nice addition if the Infuse was capable of it.

Nope :-( it physically lacks the hardware to receive FM transmissions. I'm pretty sure because when I DL a tuner, I get an error message that explains I do not have compatible hardware

mark.pitcock

May 21, 2010
Visit site
You could well be right but we need for someone to do a teardown to be sure. The tuner apps you tried could just not be compatible with the chip thats in the phone (assuming there is one in there). A lot of cellphones have an FM receiver chip in them but for some reason the people how make the phones rarely expose this capability.

CZ Eddie

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
TuneIn is not "the answer". Since there are some local channels it is not allowed to play back. Such as any Clear Channel station. Like my local AM1300 "The Zone" sports talk radio.

sphinx23

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
An FM radio receiver would of been a cool feature to have on this phone,but I prefer not having to listen to lame commercials when I juat want to enjoy listening to music.Their are apps out there that will let you listen in to radio staions from different states such as Iheart radio,and others like it too.

c00l0ne

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Really? The Infuse doesn't have a FM radio receiver? This seems hard to believe :-(

hmmm...???? never realized that, but i use iheart radio app,pandora app..and theres more internet radio apps. Or I use my portable mp3 player. Did the iphone have a Radio? Let me check my old iphone...very interesting.:confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463