Insurance?

reefrunway

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys and gals!

Do any of you pay the $5/month for insurance for your Infuse? I have until tomorrow to decide whether or not I want it. There is also a $120 deductible (!) if you file a claim. I am thinking I may go for it for the first year, and then cancel at year two (when this phone won't be as expensive to replace). In general, I don't lose or break my phones (knock on wood :D)... they are pretty beat up by the time an upgrade period rolls around, but usually fully functional. Anyway, just wondering if any of you guys have the coverage.

Egidio

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I signed up for it. When I had my iPhone 3G I almost got stuck without insurance. Luckily I was able to buy it when I needed it. I'll probably do just for a year and cancel it next year. Chances are almighty AT&T will want me to upgrade to whatever is new next summer and will give me the choice to do so as they did last year, when I was still 6 months away from the end of my contract.

Scottyb

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I have insurance on mine. I'm pretty careful but u never know. I did wash my first iPhone 3G in the washing machine, for some reason it didn't work after that.:'(

rvrocket

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I have had insurance on my last 2 phones. Cracked the screen on my last one when it was 10 months old. Paid for its self with that one claim.

GotBCI

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Ive always insured my phones,Ive been with Cingular/ATT for over 20 yrs and
never had anything but "smooth" when dealing with the claims process on a few phones.

waterca

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I ended up getting talked into purchasing insurance. Well, I say that, but it really didn't take much effort on the employee's part since at that point I was pretty anxious to get out of the store. Still not sure if I will keep it though, especially since I made it two years without insurance on my iphone 3G before it succumbed to one fall too many.

sirdomino

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Just got the Samsung Infuse today and went ahead and put the insurance on it. The one thing that REALLY concerns me is that i was told that it is up to AT&T if I get an Infuse or not if I file a claim. They could substitute it with an Atrix or something else, and the employee said it would most definitely be a refurb. Really makes me wonder if it is worth it to play dice if I do break the phone and end up getting some other cruddy phone. :(

any experience with AT&T doing that? giving you another phone to fulfill the insurance and your stuck?

I think I'll insure it for at least 6 months, maybe a year, an then cancel after that. although the At&t guy told me that if I broke the phone and bought my own equipment I'd still have to renew my contract, which I am pretty sure is a bunch of BS.

I have 3 Infuse phones and right now it is $15/month for insurance, which is pretty darn expensive. :( But I guess for a year until the INfuse is outdated won't be too bad.

btc0526

I wish I worked at google
May 25, 2011
Visit site
Just got the Samsung Infuse today and went ahead and put the insurance on it. The one thing that REALLY concerns me is that i was told that it is up to AT&T if I get an Infuse or not if I file a claim. They could substitute it with an Atrix or something else, and the employee said it would most definitely be a refurb. Really makes me wonder if it is worth it to play dice if I do break the phone and end up getting some other cruddy phone. :(

any experience with AT&T doing that? giving you another phone to fulfill the insurance and your stuck?

I think I'll insure it for at least 6 months, maybe a year, an then cancel after that. although the At&t guy told me that if I broke the phone and bought my own equipment I'd still have to renew my contract, which I am pretty sure is a bunch of BS.

I have 3 Infuse phones and right now it is $15/month for insurance, which is pretty darn expensive. :( But I guess for a year until the INfuse is outdated won't be too bad.

Dude if you have ure own equipment all you have to do is pop the sim card in it for it to work. That guy obviously wanted you to suffer with the decision making. I suggest you get it because they hardly ever give you a replacement that isn't what you had before. It will be a refurb though. That's just my $ .02

2Munkeez

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I have insurance. Yes, I've made claims. Yes, I've been given a different device :-( only once, on that last "yes" though. They said the Fuze was no longer available and that they'd give me a Tilt 2. I knew the Fuze was also called a Touchpro and that the Tilt 2 was also called a Touchpro 2 so... I thought maybe it really was going to be a better device. NOPE :-( I disliked that device.

2 things to think about. (1) insurance is MORE important the 2nd year because contracts are 2 years while warranties are only one. I had to replace a defective device with insurance, once. (2) you SHOULD receive a refurbished, as the replacement, because the phone being replaced is not new. If your 5 year old car gets totalled out, insurance doesn't give you blue book on a brand new one. Seems fair to me.

sirdomino

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
So are you able to add the insurance after the 1 year warranty? The rep also told me I had to add it within the first 30 days of the contract and if I cancel it then I was SOL. That once I am past the first 30 days I wont' EVER be able to add the insurance.

I remember years ago you use to be able to add the insurance whenever you wanted, with the only stipulation being that you had to wait x amount of days before filing a claim.

I have 3 Samsung Infuses I bought yesterday. So I am paying $15/month for the insurance which is $180/yr. Kind of killer, especially with the $120 deductible and the stipulation that you might get crappy replacement phone with zero recourse.

It seems squaretrade is a better deal but they do not include lost/stolen in their warranty, which I believe AT&T does.

Any thoughts on this?

IamNabil

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, at least you got the smudges off the screen. ;)
I don't insure my phones, but I think I am the minority. I buy a new phone every six months, because I am, apparently, a phone-whore. I move my sim from my focus to my infuse to my iPhone 4 just about every other day. I can't wait for the HP Pre 3 to come out so I can round out my collection!

ninnghizzida

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't insure my phones, but I think I am the minority. I buy a new phone every six months, because I am, apparently, a phone-whore. I move my sim from my focus to my infuse to my iPhone 4 just about every other day. I can't wait for the HP Pre 3 to come out so I can round out my collection!

How do you do that? Being that the Infuse and the Focus use a regular Sim card and the iPhone 4 uses a micro Sim card.

Luis

sirdomino

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
So are you able to add the insurance after the 1 year warranty? The rep also told me I had to add it within the first 30 days of the contract and if I cancel it then I was SOL. That once I am past the first 30 days I wont' EVER be able to add the insurance.

I remember years ago you use to be able to add the insurance whenever you wanted, with the only stipulation being that you had to wait x amount of days before filing a claim.

I have 3 Samsung Infuses I bought yesterday. So I am paying $15/month for the insurance which is $180/yr. Kind of killer, especially with the $120 deductible and the stipulation that you might get crappy replacement phone with zero recourse.

It seems squaretrade is a better deal but they do not include lost/stolen in their warranty, which I believe AT&T does.

anyone have any info on this?

Thanks again guys.

sirdomino

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Thank you, I'll give it a try.

Luis
So if I have the insurance and the phone breaks will I have a replacement phone that same day? or will I go for weeks without a phone?

Also, what makes them decide to give you another phone? I know I'd be really upset if they gave me anything other than my Samsung Infuse...