First Post: Thinking of ditching the Blackberry

gt84

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Hello, i've read this forum for a long time and i'm thinking about getting rid of my blackberry. I've always been a blackberry fan. I own an iphone 4 and a blackberry torch. Looking to replace the torch with a droid. Previously I went from a sprint EVO but ended up going back to ATT and the Torch..that was back in September. With the new Blackberry 9900 coming out and not really WOW'ing me i'm thinking of switching to the droid.

My main questions are :

1) is the e-mail really lagged compared to a blackberry?

2)how does the battery life compare to a blackberry?

3)What advantages does it have over a blackberry 9900 bold touch?

thanks

Cranky

Professional
May 27, 2011
Visit site
I jumped ship from a Bold to the Infuse in May. There are times when the e-mail seems like it hasn't updated, but all you have to do is open the e-mail app for it to check. You can also set the feature for how often you want it to download the e-mail. Remember, you can't download mail if it's not on at&t's server.

Battery life sucks compared to a BB. I'm a very heavy user. I use to charge my Bold once a day whether it needed it or not. It was just easier to plug it in when I went to sleep.

I take my Infuse off the charger at 01:30 and by 12:00 I've got it plugged in again. But like I said I'm a very heavy user. Plus being a truck driver I go a lot of places where the signal is real weak or no signal at all. So, it's always searching.

Others on here get pretty could battery life and use an app called juicedefender.

I'm I happy and satisfied. You bet ya. This Infuse does so much more then a BB. It's taken a while to get use to the size.

Glenn...
:cool:

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Hello, i've read this forum for a long time and i'm thinking about getting rid of my blackberry. I've always been a blackberry fan. I own an iphone 4 and a blackberry torch. Looking to replace the torch with a droid. Previously I went from a sprint EVO but ended up going back to ATT and the Torch..that was back in September. With the new Blackberry 9900 coming out and not really WOW'ing me i'm thinking of switching to the droid.

My main questions are :

thanks

Your in transition of making one of the best decisions in your life! Now, As a long time BlackBerry user myself, I really did love the BB. I still do love BB. And the new Bold does look really good. If I had a job to where I was stricktly business, I would own the BlackBerry no doubt. But Android is just to fun to mess with. Way bigger advantage then BlackBerry and Iphone to be honest with you.

1. This depends on what your email service is. Every since I switched to Android, I got a Gmail account. With Gmail, you can have it automatically sync so you get the email as soon as its sent to you. You can also have it sync in intervals if you choose to. Now with the pop email, Im not sure if thats right on point. But if its not, I think you could set it to sync every 5 minutes. What do you use for your Email service?

2. BlackBerry is gonna beat Android in Battery life hands down. It doesnt have a huge touch screen to suck up power like Androids do. But, With the proper set up, you can have your Infuse run all day. I charge it once a night. But I also have JuiceDefender which is a battery app from the market. It sets things in different ways to your liking so you conserve more battery. Its not super great, but its dooable. But to be honest with you, if your a hardcore user constantly on your phone. You might wanna grab another battery.

3. Which Android phone? The Infuse? What advantage that does have over the new Bold? Hmm. Ill say one thing. Super Amoled Plus. One of the most gorgious screens on a touchscreen phone you will ever see. The colors are very fluid and it can be pretty bright turned up at the highest setting. Oh, and turned up you can see it directly outside in the sunlight. Im not sure about the specs on the BB Bold.

The Infuse sports an 8MP rear camera with LED flash and a Front Facing Camera that is 1.3MP. 720p HD Recording. The huge 4.5" screen makes all of that picture taking, recording, video and game playing really stand out compared to "other" (Ahem....iphone) phones in the market. It also has a faster uplink speed then the Iphone does. But thats only gonna matter when they actually enable BackHaul to the HSPA network in your area.

Any other questions? Step over to the dark side my friend. You know that Evo misses you going back to hardware keys. Total customization on Androids. Root it and youve taken the first step into loading custom romz, hacking different parts of the system or just running programs that will only run with Root obtained.

Again................Any other questions? lol Welcome aboard!

gt84

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
so basically it's going to be like Evo part 2. I got that phone..liked the screen but hated the battery life..then I began to get frustrated at how quickly it died while doing everyday tasks. I mean super duper quick. I use my phone primarily for grad school and running my biz. Quite a bit of e-mail and scheduling...so i'm really thinking if this it the right phone for me. I have an iphone 4 that i'll never let go of but I have always used the BB for business.. With the BB9900 being the next latest and greatest and i'm just not impressed. I think the Samsung Infuse could offer me more from a business perspective especially if I take advantage of the cloud..I'm thinking long term here.

Scottyb

May 15, 2011
Visit site
1. This depends on what your email service is. Every since I switched to Android, I got a Gmail account. With Gmail, you can have it automatically sync so you get the email as soon as its sent to you. You can also have it sync in intervals if you choose to. Now with the pop email, Im not sure if thats right on point. But if its not, I think you could set it to sync every 5 minutes. What do you use for your Email service?

How can u set for email to ck every so often? I use the regular gmail app and only see push as an option. Lately push hasn't been reliable at all. I would like to set it to check every 15 mins like I did on my iphone, but don't see that option.

Sent from my Samsung Infuse using tapatalk

Cranky

Professional
May 27, 2011
Visit site
How can u set for email to ck every so often? I use the regular gmail app and only see push as an option. Lately push hasn't been reliable at all. I would like to set it to check every 15 mins like I did on my iphone, but don't see that option.

Sent from my Samsung Infuse using tapatalk

Go into your e-mail app, touch on one of your accounts, then touch the menu (lower left of infuse), touch the More option, then touch the Account Settings choice. You'll see Email Check Frequency.

You can choose from never up to an hour.

Scottyb

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Go into your e-mail app, touch on one of your accounts, then touch the menu (lower left of infuse), touch the More option, then touch the Account Settings choice. You'll see Email Check Frequency.

You can choose from never up to an hour.

Are you sure you can do this on the gmail app? I have looked and looked and then looked again following your directions, but the only option I see if for auto sync. I know this was an option with the stock email client that came with the Infuse, but I had some other issues with that app.

trupower7

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
This is in response to the question about setting the Gmail sync frequency. First you open your Gmail app. Hit menu, then settings, then labels, then from there you can choose how many days worth of mail to sync....also for each label (folder) you can choose either that same number of days worth of mail, or choose sync all. Those are the only options you have when it comes to syncing Gmail, because Gmail will automatically check the servers for new mail as long as you have it set to auto-sync.....I dont know how often it does check, but if I monitor both my Android and my laptop, the mail comes up on the Android Gmail within seconds after appearing in Gmail on the laptop.

Last edited:

ruscolinni

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

My main questions are :

thanks

I just did it last Friday. Had an HTC Inspire for a minute.... hated battery life and got a BB 9800.... love hate relationship at best with that phone. Now I've come back to Android and simply put I, love my Infuse. It's taking me a bit of getting used too and I couldn't agree more with Terrignos reply. It's just different. Period. ... and if I was a "fortune 500" business exec.... the BB would probably work for me. It's going to take some time to venture with my Infuse.... and that's why y'all are here at AC!

Reactions: Terrigno

Yell0w

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the process too of transitioning into android. I came from a bold 9700. The battery life is really bad. I unplugged the phone at 11am and then by 8pm, it was 30%. There was not even much usage besides 5-10 3 minute calls, 2 websites loaded. I'm guessing it was the low signal that was causing tthe phone to constantly look for a signal.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

aapold

May 15, 2011
Visit site
What are your requirements for it to be a "business phone"?

secure storage?
remote wipe?
enterprise apps? (which?)

gt84

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
A phone that has great security...encryption.(does the Infuse have that? )

I use AOL as my e-mail but I'm in a good position to go ahead and make G-Mail my prime one

A battery that will last under heavy duty circumstances. <----I hear the infuse battery is terrible.

Remote Wipe -i can go to blackberry.com and wipe my Torch, make it make a noise so I can locate it in hard to find spots

BBM like chat service

Wireless Synchronization

My upgrade was yesterday....everyday i've been researching this topic and nobody has really said anything to me about why ditching blackberry to android would be worth it. Right now I own an iphone 4 and a blackberry torch...two lines...i'm ready to get rid of the blackberry and have an android and the iphone 4 but are the iphone and android so alike that its probably better to just keep my blackberry? i'm thinking long term here...the new blackberry bold 9900 doesn't even have a front facing camera..that phone looks like it would've been nice in 2010..but we're in 11 now. Blackberry doesn't have anything new really coming out unitl the QNX phones but by that time will probably be wayyyy too far behind..so i'm looking to change ship.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
gt84, all that you said can be done with Android to. You can remote wipe it also with different apps like security apps in the market.

I got some fantastic info on the battery. 2 days ago I went ahead and installed the Infused Rom v1.5 and I couldnt be happier with it. It has the GS2 icons, and a different theme on it. But most importantly is the battery life. Yesterday I took it off the charger at 5am. And it went down to 25% at 11pm at night. Thats with my normal Facebooking, Marketing, Google searching and Text messaging (emails to). WOW. And thats without me installing JuiceDefender. I had that installed before I put this ROM on. And this ROM made it save more battery then JuiceDefender did. A lof of mods have been done to the memory management on it with that ROM and it totally paid off big time on the battery. Its fast and silky smooth to. And looks better in my opinion with the ASOP lock screen. Its over on XDA, those developers are amazing!

aapold

May 15, 2011
Visit site
The infuse battery is terrible? Most reviews I'd read prior to it rated it pretty well. It is a 1,750mAh affair, larger than most android phones.

e.g., engadget's review reads:
We were very impressed by the battery life on the Droid Charge and we have to say we've been even more enamored here. The Infuse has a slightly larger, 1,750mAh battery pack nestled inside and it easily powered us through a day of demanding use. When managed more casually (as a typical user might) it got us through most of a second.
(to be clear, second means second day, not 1/60 of a minute)

Now, partly its going to be compared against other android phones, but in your case it is going to be compared to blackberry phones which may be a different story. I haven't used a BB so I can't really make that comparison. All I can do is compare it to the phones I had before.. which for me was a Palm Pre+. It gets better battery life than that. I was used to with the palm pre+ having touchstone chargers everywhere (home, desk at work, mounted on dash of car) so for daily use it was fine... but when attending a convention where I could not keep it resting on a charger when not in use it was often dying on me. Since I have had the infuse... It kinda depends on how you use it. If you keep the screen on max brightness, watch movies, keep the GPS and wifi on and use it for a tether, yeah, your battery life will go down.

Gauging from this forum I've heard differing opinions, some people seems to say it is fine, others say it is awful... and some have even said it fine until a certain point and then got worse... and some say it was awful until juice defender then it got better... could it be battery quality is not uniform? or different user usage habits, or observer bias, etc..

gt84

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
yea its tough..i've been blackberry since 2003. I'm gonna go pick it up today or tomorrow and do a review on my youtube channel about it.

achysklic

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
gt84, all that you said can be done with Android to. You can remote wipe it also with different apps like security apps in the market.

I got some fantastic info on the battery. 2 days ago I went ahead and installed the Infused Rom v1.5 and I couldnt be happier with it. It has the GS2 icons, and a different theme on it. But most importantly is the battery life. Yesterday I took it off the charger at 5am. And it went down to 25% at 11pm at night. Thats with my normal Facebooking, Marketing, Google searching and Text messaging (emails to). WOW. And thats without me installing JuiceDefender. I had that installed before I put this ROM on. And this ROM made it save more battery then JuiceDefender did. A lof of mods have been done to the memory management on it with that ROM and it totally paid off big time on the battery. Its fast and silky smooth to. And looks better in my opinion with the ASOP lock screen. Its over on XDA, those developers are amazing!

I just got mine 2 days ago. I love it. I would like to update the ROM on it though. Question if I update it can I go back to the factory Rom if needed? Also I have dled alot of apps the last 2 days, Howe can I back them all up for the new Rom Update?

Thanks all, This place has alot of good info!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams