Termination fee question

Tovalmorgan

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Im currently in the middle of a 2 year contract (started november 27th 2010)
I have the samsung captivate smartphone

using this website myrateplan.com/contract_termination_fees it calculates my ETF at $215.

Im wondering if I can get a cheap 'dumb' phone and cancel my data plan, then once ATT recognizes that Im not using a smart phone anymore, transfer my number over to verizon or another carrier

the ETF for a dumb phone, according to the site above is $106, as opposed to $215 for a smart phone.

and I was reading that once I port my number over to a new carrier, the ETF will be applied to my bill, not immediately charged to my card...is that right?

any help ya'll can provide would be greatly appreciated.

lmc05

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I can't speak to the removal of data plans and if/how that would affect your ETF, but I can say that if you do cancel early then the ETF would be applied to the bill and not to a credit or debit card.

Vinte419

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I can tell you that when I started my contract with at&t that I had a basic phone, then I bought my friends iphone off of him and put it on my line. A couple of months later I asked at&t customer service what my etf would be and they gave me a price for having a smart phone. So it might be possible to do what you want. Get a cheap go phone and see what they say after you use it on your line for a couple days.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
It will not matter, because you started the contract out on a smart phone, the ETF will remain as such. Even if you do get a "dumb" phone to put on your line instead to get rid of the data plan, it will not affect the ETF at all.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
It will not matter, because you started the contract out on a smart phone, the ETF will remain as such. Even if you do get a "dumb" phone to put on your line instead to get rid of the data plan, it will not affect the ETF at all.

Correct.

To the OP:

Switching to a dumb phone will not decrease your ETF. The ETF for the line was set when you completed your contract upgrade based upon the phone you used at that time. Nothing can change that.

When you upgraded your line last you signed a contract with the contract length and ETF stipulated, If you really want out you are going to have to pay the piper.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
and I was reading that once I port my number over to a new carrier, the ETF will be applied to my bill, not immediately charged to my card...is that right?

That's my understanding yes. Not sure how that is going to help you though. Might gain a couple weeks until the next bill but they are not going to give you any more time to pay your final bill.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I have question...if one upgrades and receives a new contract, can one port out within the first 30 days with no etf?

14 days Yes but after the third day you still have to pay the activation fee and a pro rated portion of the first months Bill. After that the ETF is in effect

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams