I don't even have 3g in my city yet!

rhwd2003

May 16, 2010
Visit site
So I have been an AT&T user and we have had 3g here for roughly year and a half with my iPhone. I had assumed that 3g was here for Sprint too but I found out that we do not have even have 3g here yet.

Does anyone know of a schedule of 3g rollouts for sprint like they have done with the 4g rollout stickied at the top of the forum?

I am in Bowling Green, KY and we are the 3rd largest city in Kentucky just north of Nashville. Stinks! Good thing is I work from home so I can use wifi 90% of the time.

Mitalis

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
If Sprint doesn't have 3G in your town, then the EVO isn't worth getting.. This phone is built towards 4G technologies, but considering how you don't even have 3G, it'd be like purchasing a Ferrari and having it hard capped to drive 60MPH.

Honestly, you're probably better off sticking with AT&T and getting a similar phone.

rhwd2003

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeha I know, scottsville is a tiny town and has 3g. How I found out was I looked at the coverage map and also asked when I pre-ordered. I was just hoping this $10 fee im gonna be paying for to use the slowest data they got would help be a donation to get 3g here. I figured the more sprint smartphone users here would mean more emphasis on getting 3g covered here to start.

Like I said, I have wifi at my home and work from home so I am home 90% of the time, the other times I am at my gf's house who has wifi too... and when I go to dinner or on a date with her I usually have to keep my phone on silent and away so she gets full divided attention.

fgkay

May 17, 2010
Visit site
So I have been an AT&T user and we have had 3g here for roughly year and a half with my iPhone. I had assumed that 3g was here for Sprint too but I found out that we do not have even have 3g here yet.

Does anyone know of a schedule of 3g rollouts for sprint like they have done with the 4g rollout stickied at the top of the forum?

I am in Bowling Green, KY and we are the 3rd largest city in Kentucky just north of Nashville. Stinks! Good thing is I work from home so I can use wifi 90% of the time.

And even if you did, it doesn't mean that you will have a usable signal. That was the case in my neighborhood with my Palm Pre. Sprint's coverage maps show me in a solid orange (3g) area, but my Pre's battery would drain at a record rate while constantly hunting between a 1x and 3G signal. Sprint hooked me up with a free Airave which solved this problem. I'm just hoping that the supposed 4G reception that Sprint shows (solid blue for my area) actually works with the EVO.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
And even if you did, it doesn't mean that you will have a usable signal. That was the case in my neighborhood with my Palm Pre. Sprint's coverage maps show me in a solid orange (3g) area, but my Pre's battery would drain at a record rate while constantly hunting between a 1x and 3G signal. Sprint hooked me up with a free Airave which solved this problem. I'm just hoping that the supposed 4G reception that Sprint shows (solid blue for my area) actually works with the EVO.

Thats probably your pre. I had that issue in Melbourne, FL on the Pre. Don't have it on the Hero. 5 hour--dead pre, 26+ hours on hero.

hampstenj

May 8, 2010
Visit site
actually other than Scottsville and the Hopkinsville areas NOBODY in Western Kentucky has 3G from Sprint, Even Paducah!

Funny I live in a town of 5K 50 miles NW of Evansville, and while in a few weeks we won't have a movie rental store, we have 3G from Sprint... and Evansville doesn't!

rhwd2003

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah guys, stinks! but I am taking a risk as I don't like the views the iPhone is going and no chance to have any customization or flash... that I want to jump to Android and hard to resist going to any other phone than the Droid. Verizon doesn't even have 3g here either, and doesnt even have a store here to sell in Kentucky atleast the south part. So AT&T is the only company that has 3g but I could go to the Nexus One but the nexus one looks old and outdated compared to the Evo now.

The sprint rep at best buy said the past 2 years at there regional meetings sprint corporate has said 3g is coming. So maybe 2 years and a couple months it will show up. Hoping with all the hype and maybe sprint get a great boost with the evo launch they will spruce up the network even more.

I guess there is a positive, i should have plenty of battery life without looking for 3g or 4g signals!

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site

Airraves do not have EVDO support yet, so I don't understand how this would help you.

Sprint hooked me up with an Airrave too, but only after I stated that VZW had crystal-clear service in my apartment, and Sprint did not and I would frequently drop calls. Airraves only support voice at the moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC