The thing you never hear att advertise but should

unglued94ta

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
In the last 4.5 months att has expanded roughly 1500 sq miles of edge network to Hspa+ in the rural area of south east Kansas I live in. What is Verizon doing to upgrade their dreadfully slow 3G? Nothing. At least att is building out 4G to places that won't get lte anytime soon.

Sorry, just had to get on my soap box for a while.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Android Central Forums

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
In the last 4.5 months att has expanded roughly 1500 sq miles of edge network to Hspa+ in the rural area of south east Kansas I live in. What is Verizon doing to upgrade their dreadfully slow 3G? Nothing. At least att is building out 4G to places that won't get lte anytime soon.

Sorry, just had to get on my soap box for a while.

Good to know but the fact still remains...No one cares about HSPA+. I mean its good enough for me and I love it! But its all about who has the best 4G LTE coverage when it comes to commercials.

unglued94ta

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Good to know but the fact still remains...No one cares about HSPA+. I mean its good enough for me and I love it! But its all about who has the best 4G LTE coverage when it comes to commercials.

True. As far as marketing goes, LTE is what sells, but more than likely, most people watching a YouTube video, won't notice their phone switched from lte to h+

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Except for everyone who lives in rural America. Please keep your unconstructive comments to yourself.

Chill out, amigo. I AM in rural America by cell coverage standards. I'm merely referring to advertising per your thread (and making a Wizard of Oz pun while I'm at it).

HSPA+ is still 3G. AT&T is not going to brag about 3G when LTE is the new hot commodity. It doesn't even matter that HSPA+ is more than enough for pretty much everyone. It's always about newer, better, faster, sexier.

To you it's awesome to get HSPA+ and I totally get that. However, it would be colossally stupid for AT&T or any other carrier to brag about expanding last generation's tech. As far as the public is concerned, all they'd be doing is running a big fat pink highlighter over how far behind they were.

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Chill out, amigo. I AM in rural America by cell coverage standards. I'm merely referring to advertising per your thread (and making a Wizard of Oz pun while I'm at it).

HSPA+ is still 3G. AT&T is not going to brag about 3G when LTE is the new hot commodity. It doesn't even matter that HSPA+ is more than enough for pretty much everyone. It's always about newer, better, faster, sexier.

To you it's awesome to get HSPA+ and I totally get that. However, it would be colossally stupid for AT&T or any other carrier to brag about expanding last generation's tech. As far as the public is concerned, all they'd be doing is running a big fat pink highlighter over how far behind they were.

With a ton of rural areas still on EDGE network...expanding to HSPA in those areas is a HUGE deal. Verizon doesn't cover those areas at all let alone 2G so if they can bring 3.5G to those who barely have a data connection I would say that's a big step for them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
With a ton of rural areas still on EDGE network...expanding to HSPA in those areas is a HUGE deal. Verizon doesn't cover those areas at all let alone 2G so if they can bring 3.5G to those who barely have a data connection I would say that's a big step for them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Yes, it's a big step. But that's not the spirit of this thread. This thread asks why AT&T doesn't advertise it, or rather proposes that they should.

unglued94ta

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it's a big step. But that's not the spirit of this thread. This thread asks why AT&T doesn't advertise it, or rather proposes that they should.

It's all good bro. I know the 4 guys in the engineering department with me where I work were all jumping for joy to get H+. I think lots of people would be happy to know rural America hasn't been forgotten by ATT.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
It's all good bro. I know the 4 guys in the engineering department with me where I work were all jumping for joy to get H+. I think lots of people would be happy to know rural America hasn't been forgotten by ATT.

I can't disagree with that. I'm not on an HSPA+ phone but I do get the fastest speeds available to it at home but when I venture out for shoots, I'm sometimes stuck with unusable EDGE. I wouldn't want to be on EDGE as a matter of course.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
good to know. with att being #2 im sure they are trying to branch out to become the widespread masters or the mock 4g speeds a.k.a. H+ which is perfectly fine by me.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
One of the reasons I switched to ATT is the HSPA+ backhaul. Falling back to HSPA+ is far more desirable than falling back to 3G.

The reason I switched was Sprint kicked me off for excessive roaming because I couldn't tolerate their 3G any longer. I'm too cheap for Verizon and T-Mobile is EDGE here.

Technically I'm not even AT&T but rather on a Mooching Virtual Network Operator.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes