I am new to these forums, and for that matter a new Android user, or a soon to be new Android user.

I have AT&T and I am in the market for a new phone. I have looked at them all of the phones and I have decided that I want either the HTC Aria or the Samsung Captivate. If anyone can give me some logical input on these two and which one is most likely my better choice, please reply.

Thanks.
    07-18-2010 05:48 PM
    Well I have finally played with both and I bought the Captivate today. I love the phone and now that I have mine rooted and can load non Market Apps it is even better now. I would recommend not getting the aria unless you are going to buy it out right because the Aria is not going to get Froyo and that is why I got the Captivate.

HTH,
    Charlie
    07-19-2010 02:49 AM
    The Aria will get Froyo. Just depends on when ATT is ready to dish it out, but if the Captivate gets it, so will the Aria. If ATT doesnt release a Froyo update, I am rooting it and loading the ported foryo rom for the aria. Simple, ATT loses either way with Android users =P
    07-27-2010 06:57 PM
    The Aria will get Froyo. Just depends on when ATT is ready to dish it out, but if the Captivate gets it, so will the Aria. If ATT doesnt release a Froyo update, I am rooting it and loading the ported foryo rom for the aria. Simple, ATT loses either way with Android users =P
    Well I remember hearing that Froyo was not going to the Aria but if it is, that is pretty cool. I would still get the Captivate because of the larger screen, faster cpu and HD Recording. Also it will get Android 3.0 as well *whenever att releases either froyo or 3.0*.. So far I am loving the Captivate, Rooting was simple getting, rid of the useles att crap was simple, and switching over to MailDroid = Killer phone.

Cheers,
    Charlie
    07-28-2010 04:42 PM
    Well I remember hearing that Froyo was not going to the Aria but if it is, that is pretty cool. I would still get the Captivate because of the larger screen, faster cpu and HD Recording. Also it will get Android 3.0 as well *whenever att releases either froyo or 3.0*.. So far I am loving the Captivate, Rooting was simple getting, rid of the useles att crap was simple, and switching over to MailDroid = Killer phone.

Cheers,
    Charlie
    The Captivate looks like a great device! The benchmark tests blew my mind!! After Froyo, IDK what else they could really make better, or much left to add to Gingerbread to be honest. I think I would be able to stick out with Froyo for two years tho, and I think it would take that many years for 3.0 to be ported and officially released. The bigger screen is enticing, but I like the feel of HTC and their Sense UI is magnificent. I will someday upgrade to a high end Android phone, but I am still just in college so I think the Aria would suit my needs until I feel a need to get a high end Android device. TO each his own right? Enjoy your Captivate, I am positive it is a great device. It does have Android, so it definitely a good device
    07-29-2010 02:54 AM
    The Captivate looks like a great device! The benchmark tests blew my mind!! After Froyo, IDK what else they could really make better, or much left to add to Gingerbread to be honest. I think I would be able to stick out with Froyo for two years tho, and I think it would take that many years for 3.0 to be ported and officially released. The bigger screen is enticing, but I like the feel of HTC and their Sense UI is magnificent. I will someday upgrade to a high end Android phone, but I am still just in college so I think the Aria would suit my needs until I feel a need to get a high end Android device. TO each his own right? Enjoy your Captivate, I am positive it is a great device. It does have Android, so it definitely a good device
    The Aria is a killer little phone for sure. I almost bought it until I saw that benchmark of the Captivate. Sense UI is awesome but touchwizard is not too bad but Sense does blow it away. Now it will be interesting as Google stated with Gingerbread there will not be a need for Sense UI, TouchWiz and Motoblur. That is what I am excited to see. The other reason why I did not go with the Aria was the size, still smaller then my Bold 9000 *which is a just a bit smaller then my Captivate, and a bit wider and thicker compared to the captivate, but the Captivate is light years ahead of BB. I can understand that if the Aria suits your needs keep it, it is a great device! All Android Phones are great devices with the exception of the Motorola Backflip *I tried liking it but it just was not me..

Cheers,
    Charlie
    07-29-2010 03:06 PM
    The Aria is a killer little phone for sure. I almost bought it until I saw that benchmark of the Captivate. Sense UI is awesome but touchwizard is not too bad but Sense does blow it away. Now it will be interesting as Google stated with Gingerbread there will not be a need for Sense UI, TouchWiz and Motoblur. That is what I am excited to see. The other reason why I did not go with the Aria was the size, still smaller then my Bold 9000 *which is a just a bit smaller then my Captivate, and a bit wider and thicker compared to the captivate, but the Captivate is light years ahead of BB. I can understand that if the Aria suits your needs keep it, it is a great device! All Android Phones are great devices with the exception of the Motorola Backflip *I tried liking it but it just was not me..

Cheers,
    Charlie
    I do recall Google talking about the elimination of the different UIs with the release of Gingerbread. By the time Gingerbread comes out, I am positive more devices will release for ATT...I hope! I am pretty excited for 3.0. Yeah the backflip is just...Idk...Unique?
    07-29-2010 09:53 PM
    I have a couple of guys at work, one got the Aria, one waited for Captivate. Both are awesome phones, but there will be infinitely more support, apps, ROMs whatever for the Captivate since it is such a huge platform.

The Aria is nice, I would have stayed with ATT if it were a 1ghz with a 3.7 or 4 inch screen, but the Captivate is a superior piece of hardware.
    07-29-2010 10:59 PM
    Seems as if the Captivate has a bit of better specs compared to the Aria (better Wifi support, HD recording, more memory) but then I hear that the Aria does support tethering and has a FM Radio as oppose to the Captivate (correct me if I'm wrong)
    07-30-2010 10:20 AM
    Not sure about the FM radio as some have said the Captivate does have it built in but it is disabled for some reason. The Captivate does support Tethering, has a faster cpu, better gpu, more Ram and more ROM space *16 GB* total with roughly 2 GBs to the OS and Apps, and 14 for user storage along with a microsd that will support up too 32 GB. Which personally liked the bigger screen of the Captivate and it is an awesome phone.

Cheers,
    Charlie
    07-30-2010 02:58 PM
    I break with the crowd in that I think the Aria is much, much better. It is small, but I think that makes it more comfortable for most people. The Sense UI is way better than Touch Wiz, but the optimization for the phone is even more impressive. It absolutely flies. Don't be swayed by specs that don't compare real-world performance.
    08-07-2010 04:21 PM
    Well I have finally played with both and I bought the Captivate today. I love the phone and now that I have mine rooted and can load non Market Apps it is even better now. I would recommend not getting the aria unless you are going to buy it out right because the Aria is not going to get Froyo and that is why I got the Captivate.

HTH,
    Charlie
    I am actually running Froyo on my Aria right now via CM6 and let me just say, specs don't mean anything as far as day to day performance. The only area where the Captivate wins in terms of speed is gaming which I don't really do on my phone. Even before rooting and flashing CM6 with 2.1 most things loaded and felt faster than when I had the Captivate. I loved the screen and everything on the Captivate but IMO Samsung ruined it with Touchwiz. It might have great specs on paper but it was very buggy and the stock music player wouldn't even sort by artist without crashing (Yes I know you can use 3rd party but then you sacrifice 5.1 surround which is amazing). At first I thought the Aria might be too small but in all honesty it is the perfect size to pocket, I don't think everyone realizes that many popular phones have 3.2" screens (Hero, Pre, Torch).
    08-20-2010 11:53 AM
    I went with the Aria because of the smaller size. Compact yet powerful.
    08-21-2010 08:49 AM
    If you "need" a large screen the Captivate is the obvious choice, otherwise the Aria is an excellent phone. Specs aside the Aria is super fast and responsive, unless you are into intensive games the processor should not be an issue (and should give longer battery life). The Aria has a great feel in the hand and is small enough for any pocket. My wife and I both have Aria's and they are great, can't wait for a Froyo or Gingerbread update though!

I will be getting a Captivate through work and look forward to comparing more closely, but not being into games or watching tv/videos much I have a hard time imagining trading the Aria for the Captivate.
    12-09-2010 03:30 PM
    Wait for the atrix
    01-23-2011 12:17 AM
    Agree, wait for the atrix.
    01-23-2011 12:19 AM
    I took my captivate back to hold out for the atrix...
    01-23-2011 03:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD