Best Budget Android on AT&T?

envygreen

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Hey -

My mother in law is due for an upgrade but doesn't want to pay $200+ for a current model flagship phone. She's using an HTC Inspire now and is pretty happy with her phone, but would like to upgrade so she can have a front camera and LTE. I was looking at the HTC One X, which is $50 some places with renewal. She thinks the GSIII is a little plasticky and the colors are oversaturated, but otherwise thought it was ok. Just not sure about the switch to touchwiz since this will only be her second smartphone.

What do you all recommend?

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
HTC First. $99 and you can toss the Facebook crap off of it and you're left with a fast vanilla Android phone with a beautiful display. It doesn't have the reception (antenna) issues the One X has.

envygreen

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Jon, I hadn't even looked at the First, but after looking at the antenna issue and how easy it is to bypass the FB junk, I'm pretty much sold. Going to take her by the store to check one out.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Jon, I hadn't even looked at the First, but after looking at the antenna issue and how easy it is to bypass the FB junk, I'm pretty much sold. Going to take her by the store to check one out.

AT&T is selling the HTC First now for only $1. It is a great deal.

envygreen

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah my one hesitation with the First is that it only has a 5 MP camera. Her current phone has an 8 MP. The Optimus G looks good as well as a couple others, but I might just have her wait a bit and see what happens with prices.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Yeah my one hesitation with the First is that it only has a 5 MP camera. Her current phone has an 8 MP. The Optimus G looks good as well as a couple others, but I might just have her wait a bit and see what happens with prices.

Just an FYI. It's not all about the pixels anymore! :p

Posted while on the toilet.

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I dont get this logic. So instead of paying 100$ more which is a measly 4-5$ a month for the 2 years that the person will be stuck with the phone since i doubt shes a phone enthusiast, people still prefer to cheap out and get something not as good. I dont get it /=

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I was looking for a thread like this. My mom moved to an area with no Sprint service (big surprise!) so she's moving to ATT. The First looks perfect for her but she doesn't use FB so how easy is it to remove the FBhome stuff? Does it have to be rooted or can you just uninstall the FBhome application?

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, I was looking for a thread like this. My mom moved to an area with no Sprint service (big surprise!) so she's moving to ATT. The First looks perfect for her but she doesn't use FB so how easy is it to remove the FBhome stuff? Does it have to be rooted or can you just uninstall the FBhome application?

Removing facebook home is as simple as tapping the menu button in the lower right corner, going to settings, and selecting ?Turn Off Facebook Home.' No root required :)
"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
My sister just picked up the HTC first the other day. It's a nice little phone once you turn off Facebook Home.

Sent from my Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Should still be able to get a galaxy s3 for cheap. Don't have to worry about the Facebook stuff, and is a flagship quality phone as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Should still be able to get a galaxy s3 for cheap. Don't have to worry about the Facebook stuff, and is a flagship quality phone as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Still showing $100 for the SIII on the ATT site. More phone than my mom needs or wants to pay for but thanks for the suggestion. I'm definitely gonna recommend the First for her. I loved my Evo 4G and trust in HTCs build quality.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Why not try last years' Flagship phone? The Galaxy S3 with LTE still has plenty of legs left in it and it's $50 on contract right now. Lots of inexpensive accessories for it, good camera, well-established pedigree...

Edit: Never mind, looks like it's $100 on the consumer site, I was using the Premier site my employer has access to.

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
My wife recently picked up an htc one vx, $50 on contract. Nice phone, sd card expandable but no removable battery. Gets better battery life than my Vivid though.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using AC Forums mobile app

dcunited08

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Hey -

My mother in law is due for an upgrade but doesn't want to pay $200+ for a current model flagship phone. She's using an HTC Inspire now and is pretty happy with her phone, but would like to upgrade so she can have a front camera and LTE. I was looking at the HTC One X, which is $50 some places with renewal. She thinks the GSIII is a little plasticky and the colors are oversaturated, but otherwise thought it was ok. Just not sure about the switch to touchwiz since this will only be her second smartphone.

What do you all recommend?

I would look at the Motorola Atrix HD, I don't have one but I have heard good things about it. The HTC First has not been selling well so it may not get that much support down the road.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

I actually had the inspire for over two years right up until I got this phone (Optimus G) a month ago.

The Inspire actually took better photos than this phone but the G trumps it in all other respects. The display is sensational and the battery life is excellent.

Sent from my LG-E970 using AC Forums mobile app

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The LG Optimus G PRO is $50 straight from AT&T right now. That is a LOT of cell phone for $50!

I paid $200 for it two weeks ago and still think I got a decent deal.

For $50, it's a !#@$@# no-brainer.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
The LG Optimus G PRO is $50 straight from AT&T right now. That is a LOT of cell phone for $50!

I paid $200 for it two weeks ago and still think I got a decent deal.

For $50, it's a !#@$@# no-brainer.

And I paid $100... Excellent phone

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app