APN Entries For Texting Pictures On AT&T?

Simplifly

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Just switched to an AT&T Go-Phone $25 monthly plan (250Min. Talk / Unlimited Text, Pictures & Video / No Data) on my factory unlocked cell phone. The AT&T store setup the SIM card and handed it to me without touchng my phone or knowing what phone it was going in. Strange, but they didn't seem to care what GSM phone I was going to put it in. I don't use ANY data or internet on my phone.

Popped the SIM in with no issues for Talk & Text, but can't send or receive Pictures. My unbranded factory unlocked phone is completely blank in the APN settings. I see the "+ New APN" option with a long list of fields to enter

Do you know what I need to enter for JUST the ability to send and receive Pictures in Text messages?

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thx.​

Simplifly

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Didn't work for me :( , with/without a ":80" at the end of the MMS Proxy or with/without Authentication type: PAP

All it's done so far is rack up $0.04 in data fees when I'm not a data user...

Any other thoughts?

Simplifly

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Yup, you guys are right! The sales brochure is VERY misleading. It says:

"Includes unlimited domestic text, picture and video messages."

After re-visiting the AT&T Store I got the GoPhone SIM card at, they say you can send as many pictures as you want, but you incur data fees for internet use. WTF! That isn't "unlimited pictures" included!!!

Should have expected no less from AT&T I guess...

Anyway, AT&T put exactly what grenefroggie listed in my APN settings except for the APN Type; they left that blank. I think my error was using " \\ " instead of " // " in the MMSC setting. The AT&T rep sent a picture message to me and it came through fine, but my phone won't send a picture message to his phone. After a half hour of trying with failure after failure, the AT&T rep suggested I take the phone to the cell phone repair shop three doors down and have them set it up properly. He said they know more about this stuff then we do. Again, WTF!

I just openned an AT&T account with a brand new factory unlocked international SG S and they can't even set it up for their own network to send pictures? At that point I figured I'm better off searching the internet myself, because that is all the AT&T rep was doing... You'd think they would have details of the required settings handy, and if not, on the AT&T site to insure they are right.

Just tried adding the APN Type: "default,supl,mms" (no spaces) that grenefroggie listed above and that didn't correct my problem either. Still can't send picture, but can receive them.

Also found out a my account does have data on a pay-as-you-go basis at $0.01/5KB. So far all this BS has created over $4 in data fees (only 2 pictures were received and about 5-8 attempts at sending). At that rate it appears that adding the $5 per month 50MB package is a better way to go afterall, but even that won't do me any good IF AT&T CAN'T EVEN SETUP A PHONE FOR THEIR OWN NETWORK! :eek:

Any other suggestions? Frustrated!

Simplifly

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
When I try to send a picture message these two error messages flash on the screen, then go away:

- MMS not supported by network

- Server response error

= = = = =

Reading further under "My Plan Details" it says:

- Smartphones must buy a Data feature package for data services.

- Data Pay Per Use is not available with a Smartphone. (BUT THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE!)

- International Text $0.25/sent message.

- International Picture & Video $0.50/sent message.

So, this plan IS suppose to include NON-DATA CHARGE text, pictures & videos (except for International), but I'm not getting that. Could it be because I'm using a Smartphone and not one of their selected Non-Smartphones from their list?

I have read of others buying the Non-Smartphone package with a $50 phone they supply and it all works as the brochure states with no data charges for pictures and videos. After everything is working, they just swap the SIM card into their Smartphone and it still works that way. What I've ended up with appears to be a hybrid of the two plans, possibly because I'm using a Smartphone with a Non-Smartphone plan???

grenefroggie

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
uploadfromtaptalk1369897192715.jpg

Try using this APN. I got it straight off the AT&T Prepaid Forum. Create a new one a d make sure you select it, then reboot the phone.

Then check if you can receive picture messages as well.

Simplifly

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Nope, that didn't work either. Because the error messages are "MMS not supported by network" and "Server response error", I'm thinking it might be related to the block of phone numbers that my number came from. They are registered to Blue something, now a subsidiary of AT&T. Maybe going through "their" network is somehow an issue that requires something special???

I will be going to a much larger AT&T store soon. The store I did this at is a hole in the wall one/two person store that is probably used for paying bills more than selling phones. A large store with severall experienced employees will likely have at least one super knowledgeable person that can resolve this. Fingers crossed it can be fixed or back to T-Mobile I go...

That's the great thing about not having a contract. I'm only stuck with this carrier for a month with this plan if they can't fix it. :)