AT&T 10 GB family plan. Who jumped to it?

StayingAlert

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I switched earlier this week, BYOD setup - new Nexus 5 and a used iPhone 4S bought on eBay. My wife and I were Verizon customers for 10+ years, but their plans are just not competitive in price, and very stingy on data. The much-touted Verizon network advantage is overrated, or maybe just plain wrong. AT&T has much better signal at my home than Verizon. Verizon's signal was not available inside the home at all; AT&T works fine. Before signing up we did a test by installing an AT&T SIM in a new iPad and buying a tablet data plan for a month for a trip from Virginia to Atlanta. Worked great, had signal for Google Maps all the way down I-85 and in the Atlanta area.

Good-bye, Verizon. And good-bye to subsidized devices and contracts.

Last edited:

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I switched earlier this week, BYOD setup - new Nexus 5 and a used iPhone 4S bought on eBay. My wife and I were Verizon customers for 10+ years, but their plans are just not competitive in price, and very stingy on data. The much-touted Verizon network advantage is overrated, or maybe just plain wrong. AT&T has much better signal at my home than Verizon. Verizon's signal was not available inside the home at all; AT&T works fine. Before signing up we did a test by installing an AT&T SIM in a new iPad and buying a tablet data plan for a month for a trip from Virginia to Atlanta. Worked great, had signal for Google Maps all the way down I-85 and in the Atlanta area.

Good-bye, Verizon. And good-bye to subsidized devices and contracts.

G;ad to hear it worked out for you! And I agree with you 100% as well.

crackcookie

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so for those of you who switched and have a discount, how does your discount apply?

Right now, I have a 21% discount, but it is only on voice and data I believe, so I was wondering, if I switched to this new 10 Gig plan, would I really save more money or less one I factor in the discount? I do enjoy the fact that I get to use up to 10 gigs though.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Okay, so for those of you who switched and have a discount, how does your discount apply?

Right now, I have a 21% discount, but it is only on voice and data I believe, so I was wondering, if I switched to this new 10 Gig plan, would I really save more money or less one I factor in the discount? I do enjoy the fact that I get to use up to 10 gigs though.

If it is a fan discount, it only applies to the base price of 100 dollars, not for each line, based on my understanding.

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Switched a bit more than a month ago. My Vivid was at 18 months so got a N5, my wife is still on her same phone. Went from 4 gigs shared to 10 and saving like 20 bucks a month so hard to argue with that. Plus I got a new phone without having to still pay the hidden subsidy on the Vivid (as would have been the case under the old contract).

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 via Android Central App

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I did switching from Verizon after 15 years! I find the service just as good and the voice quality superior to Verizon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

aandrew610

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
We switched over to it. Saved us 100 dollars a month and we have been using more data then usual this month and we only used 4gb between 4 active phones

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Switched and the bill went from $160 to $128. Wife still has her existing phone and I bought a Nexus 5.

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 via Android Central App

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Don't tell me that you are considering abandoning ship? :eek::p

Anyway,there is a big thread on SD discussing this plan. I think for families that use a moderate amount of data (2gb ish per line average), it makes sense. I was going to tell my co-worker who is on family mobile with his entire family, but he is hung up on the word "unlimited" even though it clearly states that unlimited is 2.5gb and only 3g data.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

I've been considering this plan, but have a few questions. I'm on the "unlimited family plan" with my wife and two of my kids. We use about 2-3 gbs between the four of us, and pay about $250.00 per month.
1- If i get a new phone now, but haven't paid it off after say 14 months, and i want a new phone again, what happens to the old phone that i have, and what happens to the rest of the money that i owe on the old phone? (Under my present contract, i usually sell my old phone at the end of two years). Thanks for any help with this, as i've been getting misinformation from sales people who weren't too knowledgeable.:confused:
P.S. I'm with AT&T.

icyjones

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I believe that if you upgrade before you have paid off the old phone, you give att the old phone, and then continue the payments, starting a new 2 year cycle.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I believe that if you upgrade before you have paid off the old phone, you give att the old phone, and then continue the payments, starting a new 2 year cycle.
So you give up the old phone, get a new phone, but continue to pay for the old phone plus the new phone? Who would go for a plan like that?:confused:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So you give up the old phone, get a new phone, but continue to pay for the old phone plus the new phone? Who would go for a plan like that?:confused:

No it doesn't work like that. At least not Jump for T-Mobile so I doubt next would do this..

You pay for your phone.. Then turn it in to upgrade (it must be in good condition) and you then start paying for the new phone.. Just like you did with the first.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
No it doesn't work like that. At least not Jump for T-Mobile so I doubt next would do this..

You pay for your phone.. Then turn it in to upgrade (it must be in good condition) and you then start paying for the new phone.. Just like you did with the first.

The AT&T and Verizon programs are similar to jump but instead you don't pay a down-payment like on t-mobile

Sent from my SM-N900T

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The AT&T and Verizon programs are similar to jump but instead you don't pay a down-payment like on t-mobile

Sent from my SM-N900T

You also don't pay down payments on T-Mobile? They only require one if you don't have good credit.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You also don't pay down payments on T-Mobile? They only require one if you don't have good credit.

Certain phones require down payment. I think that the 32/64gb iPhone does

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad