phones with wifi good camera but don't need a data plan?

dennador

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I can't afford my data plan anymore, and since wifi is just about everywhere now, I really need a phone with wifi and a good camera, but AT&T won't recognize as a smartphone and charge me for data.

Does anybody know of any good ones? preferably with touchscreen. qwerty keyboard would be nice too.

I used the old Nokia E71x for a while, but the camera is pretty bad. I'm looking for 8Mp or better.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I can't afford my data plan anymore, and since wifi is just about everywhere now, I really need a phone with wifi and a good camera, but AT&T won't recognize as a smartphone and charge me for data.

Does anybody know of any good ones? preferably with touchscreen. qwerty keyboard would be nice too.

I used the old Nokia E71x for a while, but the camera is pretty bad. I'm looking for 8Mp or better.
I don't think you'll have much success doing that. Not unless you want to carry a non-activated device as a secondary and use that strictly on WiFi. That way, you can then purchase a cheaper phone for text and talk. Yes, you'll have a second phone to lug around, but that'll probably be your best bet at finding a decent phone at a good price.

UDPGuy

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site

You're not going to find a good camera on a non smart phone.

Posted via Android Central App

chocolateyum

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Pre-paid card would work with any GSM smartphone. It'd be about $25/month total I think for 250 minutes talk and unlimited text. But then you don't get the phone upgrade every 2 years. I sell the upgrade (and keep my old phone) for about a $550 net profit. So this pre-paid option will definitely work but I'm not sure if it's financially worth it.

Another option that may work but may not is to let your current at&t contract expire. Then get a new contract without a data plan (for dumb phones) with a GSM carrier like T-mobile or AT&T. Then get an unlocked smartphone that was never affiliated with the carrier you sign up with (so you could use your current phone if you unlocked it and switched to T-Mobile). This option is not guaranteed to work but my mom (who had always had a dumb phone before) tried it and so far she hasn't been caught (it's been 4 months). Again, I don't know how financially effective this is for you cause you won't get a free smartphone upgrade so you'll have to cost it out and understand the risk.

Belows an article talking more about the above options if you're interested in reading.

How to Get a Smartphone Without Paying for an Expensive Data Plan