Upgrade? Switch phones? Drop data?

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking to upgrade my lines (two basic phones) to smartphones. Does AT&T allow me to upgrade to a smartphone pick 2gb data than switch back to basic phones dropping the data? I know verizon did up until 8/24/14. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
No I'm asking if I can change it back to a basic line dropping data after I upgrade them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I know.. I was saying I don't think so since you'll sign an agreement with the phone.. And the data plan. Therefore they'll require you to have a data plan on that line of service... That's why they make you add data to it when upgrading to a smartphone.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I know.. I was saying I don't think so since you'll sign an agreement with the phone.. And the data plan. Therefore they'll require you to have a data plan on that line of service... That's why they make you add data to it when upgrading to a smartphone.

You can change your data plan at anytime you want. If you have a basic phone they will drop the line down to a basic phone plan. People do it all the time. With share plans you though you can the access fee no matter what. Its the older plans where this was useful.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You can change your data plan at anytime you want. If you have a basic phone they will drop the line down to a basic phone plan. People do it all the time. With share plans you though you can the access fee no matter what. Its the older plans where this was useful.

Changing a data plan from 5 GB to 1 GB or whatever is way different than dropping data completely off a smartphone line.

I am guessing they won't allow someone to upgrade... Force them to nab a plan with data... For them to just revert it back to a basic line plan. They may but.. To me doesn't sound right.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Changing a data plan from 5 GB to 1 GB or whatever is way different than dropping data completely off a smartphone line.

I am guessing they won't allow someone to upgrade... Force them to nab a plan with data... For them to just revert it back to a basic line plan. They may but.. To me doesn't sound right.

They did it with their non share data plans all the time.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Did is the key word though :). They also did offer unlimited data at one point but now.. Not so much :D.

Well the new shared data plans change this. But if you have one of older plans you should still be able to pull it off. I was just saying they did at one point. So yes as a new customer its a "did"! :p