AT&T Rollover Data - Are you excited?

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I've had at least two occasions where at around 9 pm on the last day of my billing period I got a text from AT&T (by dialing *3282#) showing I was just under my plan limit, phones were plugged into chargers not used, in WiFi from that point on, and a few days later I get a bill showing data overage. (Called, complained, got the charge credited back). The previous month's rollover will definitely help in those situations. Data reported is definitely days behind data used.

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
It surprised me that AT&T has continued the double data deal on the higher data plans after introducing rollover. Indicates to me that data will continue to get cheaper, and maybe some day unlimited for all.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It surprised me that AT&T has continued the double data deal on the higher data plans after introducing rollover. Indicates to me that data will continue to get cheaper, and maybe some day unlimited for all.

Unlimited isn't going to happen. They had unlimited and went away .. They don't want to go back to that. Why have someone pay 30 bucks a month and use 50 GB versus having them paying $300+ for that 50 GB ?

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Unlimited isn't going to happen. They had unlimited and went away ... ?
You are probably looking at the near future and I am considering probabilities in the distant future. Remember local and long distance calling on a landline? Remember 50 cents per minute when cellphones were first available? Then the 500, 700, 1400 minute plans. Finally unlimited minutes. Just like voice, just because everyone has unlimited minutes doesn't mean everyone uses an unlimited amount of minutes. I believe eventually data will follow that path.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
AT&T Rollover Data - Are you excited?

You are probably looking at the near future and I am considering probabilities in the distant future. Remember local and long distance calling on a landline? Remember 50 cents per minute when cellphones were first available? Then the 500, 700, 1400 minute plans. Finally unlimited minutes. Just like voice, just because everyone has unlimited minutes doesn't mean everyone uses an unlimited amount of minutes. I believe eventually data will follow that path.

But my point is they already had unlimited data .. It isn't like it's a new idea. They didn't have unlimited calling then revert back to limited minutes. Just like they're not going to go from unlimited data , then to limited data , and then back to unlimited data. Doesn't make sense.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: AT&T Rollover Data - Are you excited?

It comes down to capacity. Even with the current tiered data structure, Verizon has overloaded towers even when after deploying 60mhz of LTE. Verizon doesn't have any more spectrum to add, and i suspect att is in the same predicament. That is why the single most expensive BEA of aws-3 is going for $6 billion (there are 176 bea's). In contrast, all the 700MHz spectrum that tmobile got from Verizon only cost $3 billion.

If there is enough capacity, through spectrum, or other technological advances, then it might be possible to have cheap unlimited data on all carriers, but honestly, I don't see it in the foreseeable future. And the carrier's aws-3 bids seem to imply that they are of similar opinion.

With regards to minutes, they take very very little bandwidth, which is why carriers are including unlimited minutes.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site

But my point is they already had unlimited data .. It isn't like it's a new idea. They didn't have unlimited calling then revert back to limited minutes. Just like they're not going to go from unlimited data , then to limited data , and then back to unlimited data. Doesn't make sense.

At the onset of the smartphone era, unlimited data was the bait to get customers to buy those expensive smartphones.
Then the carriers realized that the big money was in data, not minutes.
But recalling what Google's Eric Schmidt said recently about the Internet disappearing...
I believe what he meant was that there will be so many other sources of information all around us, that having a dedicated line coming into the house to provide Internet service will become outdated.
I think wireless will be the future. Look at what Verizon is doing with FiOS. Nothing. They have essentially stopped deploying it. They see the handwriting on the wall; or in the air.
I think there will be so many other options for receiving data; existing cable and FiOS, wifi, perhaps a mifi grid system, a satellite system, and vastly improved speeds and coverage on the networks so that the demand on what is used now for data will be minimal, and then through competition, unlimited data may become the norm. In the future. The distant future.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

At the onset of the smartphone era, unlimited data was the bait to get customers to buy those expensive smartphones.
Then the carriers realized that the big money was in data, not minutes.
But recalling what Google's Eric Schmidt said recently about the Internet disappearing...
I believe what he meant was that there will be so many other sources of information all around us, that having a dedicated line coming into the house to provide Internet service will become outdated.
I think wireless will be the future. Look at what Verizon is doing with FiOS. Nothing. They have essentially stopped deploying it. They see the handwriting on the wall; or in the air.
I think there will be so many other options for receiving data; existing cable and FiOS, wifi, perhaps a mifi grid system, a satellite system, and vastly improved speeds and coverage on the networks so that the demand on what is used now for data will be minimal, and then through competition, unlimited data may become the norm. In the future. The distant future.

Doubtful. As dpham said they're doing the limit on data wireless due to spectrum issues. Unlimited could come back only if they find a way around this .. if they don't .. they are not going to have everyone on a buffet and be able to support a good strong wireless connection. As he has said for Verizon in some areas it is super slow. It may show "LTE" but it doesn't mean you get fast speeds .. some as slow as 1 Mbps. This is the same for many carriers in high-pop cities / locations.

Also just because Verizon stopped FIOS doesn't mean it instantly means that dedicated internet is dead. There is still TWC, Comcast, AT&T, Google and other smaller ones who are still deploying .. and still going strong. Such as AT&T Gigapower is coming to my town soon -- Verizon isn't a staple for home internet trends.

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site

I could be wrong. Been wrong about a lot of things lately. Like when I predicted that when Rollover data came out, AT&T would eliminate the double data deal on the higher end plans. So far, they haven't. Guess AT&T has a lot of extra data bits to toss out to everyone.
UPDATE: 2/1/15 Double data is gone.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...p%2Fwireless%2Fdata-plans.html&token=rn1uMrXi

Last edited:

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Honestly it is better than nothing but it sounds like att is adding it just to have it. One month roll over its pretty meaningless for most people, imo

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Na I would of probably would of gone back to AT&T if they offered this back in November when I changed from T-mobile to Verizon . I loved AT&T service when I had them . Went with Verizon because 10gb was $80 with Verizon and $100 on AT&T . If they had this probably could of just gotten the 6gb plan and live on that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I've had at least two occasions where at around 9 pm on the last day of my billing period I got a text from AT&T (by dialing *3282#) showing I was just under my plan limit, phones were plugged into chargers not used, in WiFi from that point on, and a few days later I get a bill showing data overage. (Called, complained, got the charge credited back). The previous month's rollover will definitely help in those situations. Data reported is definitely days behind data used.

Not with Verizon and not when I was on AT&T though I was unlimited when I was on AT&T. Verizon data usage is like perhaps anywhere from a few minutes behind to at worse 2 hours for me

mdk32014

Banned
Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Get on board verizon. Looking at atnt for the $150 per ported number

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Get on board verizon. Looking at atnt for the $150 per ported nunber

Posted via the Android Central App

Lol ....who are you changing to ? You say your happy with Verizon but you looking to change but not to AT&T sprint or t-mobile apparently .

Verizon also said they won't be following suit

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781