Switching phones

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I recently purchased a new phone, but not sure if I will keep it. Each phone has a SIM card in it. Is there a way for me to deactivate the new phone's SIM and reactivate the old phone's SIM? I assume the people at the store will do this when I return the new phone, but I would like to switch phones beforehand.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If the SIMs are the same size, just put the old SIM in the new phone. (If they're not, there are adapters to make smaller SIMs fit phones that need larger ones, but most of them come from China, so it takes a few weeks, which wouldn't help you now - but for a buck including shipping, you should have a set anyway.)

If they're different sizes, you have to ask the carrier to do an equipment swap to the new phone. Then, if you change back, you'll have to ask them to do it again. (Depending on the carrier, their attitude will be anything from returning a smile to being very annoyed. I've only done it with AT&T recently, but they act like you didn't ask them to do anything - it's "sure, it'll take a couple of minutes".)

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Do they charge an activation fee if your Sims aren't the same size?

They didn't for me. My old phone and new phone had different SIM sizes, no activation fee. Then, I decided not to keep the new phone and returned it. They couldn't reactivate the SIM in my old phone so I had to get another SIM. Again, no activation fee for that one either.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had to do an equipment swap a few times. Before I bought a SIM adapter kit (a whole dollar, shipping included, from China) I brought a phone in and asked if they had any SIM adapters so I could use an old phone while waiting for a replacement. They didn't, but the associate said it was easier to just give me a SIM of the right size for the old phone and change the account - and to come back when I got the replacement and they'd do it again. No charge either time. AT&T values SIMS honestly - a few pennies - which they don't mind eating. (When I had my stores, I'd ask the reps for SIMs - and get a box full for nothing.) An activation fee is to activate an account - to set the whole thing up. To change the SIM number in the account is less work for them than changing your address (less to type).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma