I am contract free and coming from a BB9630 which i hate. From what I have seen so far AT and T are gonna have the best phone available with this Atrrix however is ATT service really as bad as some say? Should i use another maybe tmobile? Advice?
    01-07-2011 09:06 AM
    Go to each carrier website and check the coverage for your specific area. Also figure out who your friends and family carry, mobile to mobile is free and unlimited with every carrier (can save money on the calling plans). Take all the info you gathered and make an educated decision on who you should go with. Then pick the best damn android phone you can get.
    01-07-2011 11:19 AM
    I will have to agree with Icon. Never chose a carrier soley based on a phone that they are getting. In some cases, you will get burned. Check out the coverage maps on the carriers websites, and maybe ask around at places you are at alot, neighbors, coworkers and such to see who they have and see how coverage is at. The maps can only tell you so much.
    01-07-2011 12:05 PM
    If you have ok coverage i think you have maybe a little better coverage on AT&T they tend to cover most of the same areas and AT&T is a bigger network. But do what Icon said and check the coverage maps.
    01-07-2011 01:35 PM
    My coverage with verizon is fine. I am only 30 mins south of downtown pittsburgh. Thats not an issue. I just hear people online ***** about at and t. What about this data plan? I most stream music a few hrs a week and a lot of texts, and a few emails,nothing major.
    01-07-2011 02:58 PM
    Juck, if you are on Verizon now and like it you might want to stick with them esp. if Pitt is one of the markets that has LTE (if not they will likely get it soon). It really depends on who has the best coverage where you live.

As for usage, well, that is only because you are used to using a BB. Just wait until you have a decent browser and can stream and watch videos on a nice screen. You will use more data that you suspect esp. if you don't have WiFi at home/work.

I was in town for the WC and got pretty decent 3G coverage from VZW. And how bout' them Caps?
    01-07-2011 03:22 PM
    Juck I used to have ATT for a while and I also had t-mobile I used the iPhone and had the unlimited internet when it was around for ATT and now I hate the data plans for ATT and my bill racks up to 500 in a way short amount of time which was insane I then switched to T-Mobile and used the iPhone unlocked and was very happy with that choice better plans no real contract and I have unlimited data and text and a minimum amount of min don't really call If I where you just grab the phone without a contract for a good price online eBay or something like that and get a unlock code or see if you can get it yourself like the galaxy s variants did and use something like that but do some research like people say your better off instead of looking on how the phone looks good luck

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    01-07-2011 03:35 PM
    Juck, if you are on Verizon now and like it you might want to stick with them esp. if Pitt is one of the markets that has LTE (if not they will likely get it soon). It really depends on who has the best coverage where you live.

As for usage, well, that is only because you are used to using a BB. Just wait until you have a decent browser and can stream and watch videos on a nice screen. You will use more data that you suspect esp. if you don't have WiFi at home/work.

I was in town for the WC and got pretty decent 3G coverage from VZW. And how bout' them Caps?
    lol not a huge hockey fan but i think ur gonna see caps n penguins in playoffs again. Yea im just getting anxious i hate bb.
    01-08-2011 01:42 PM
    Had at&t a long time ago in SC. coverage was tollerable but not great.

Had sprint in SC four years ago and Denver a year ago and it totally sucked. Missed and dropped calls daily.

I have had alltel/verizon for nine years, traveling cross country and never had a problem with them. Just my experience

And yes, if you look at the time frames i had two different carriers simultaneously a few times.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    01-08-2011 09:13 PM
    Not much to add - start with the carrier that provides the best (or at least satisfactory) service, then pick the phone that fits you best. Where I live in Michigan, Alltel was THE BEST service provider. Then Verizon bought them out, towers sharing contract terminated, probably some towers sold, and now they have about the worst coverage in my area. AT&T may not be spectacular, but they are better then the other big 3 in my area. Also, I feel your pain with the BB9630. That at the Storm 1 were probably Rim's poorest release choices. Personally, I am think I am going to miss the keyboard on my 9000 when I upgrade to the Atrix. And BBM. But this 128mb of ram is killing me!
    01-09-2011 07:20 PM
    I have had a Samsung Captivate with AT&T now for about 2 months.
    Unfortunately I live in a rural area in Iowa and in the middle(hopefully near the end) of AT&T's purchase and take over of Alltel markets and services per se in this area where I live.
    My signal strength varies for block to block.Never have a 3G signal to speak of.
    However the phone is truely amazing and the phone part of it works great.
    No dropped calls...
    AT&T is an excellent company!
    I would explore all your options and go from there.
    Remember you have a computer scaled down to the size of a phone and anything can happen.
    Hope this reply helps.
    01-12-2011 09:59 AM
    The coverage is going to be different for every carrier. It is inevitable that every carrier is going to have dead zones and dropped calls with spoty coverage. The best thing for you is to compare coverage maps for your area. Do not select a carreir soley based on a single device. You will be burned. If you do happen to select AT&T, they do have great devices coming out this year that I myself am looking forward too.

But i usually am more interested to see what Sprint is going to be offering because that is who i use for my personal line.
    01-12-2011 11:19 AM
    It really does depend entirely on your area. AT&T got a bad rap in New York and San Fran due to an overwhelming amount of iPhone users and not having their network prepared for it. I've been with AT&T for 6 years and only have dropped calls in the the far northern rural areas of WI. In the 2 cities I frequent the most I have no coverage issues.
    02-01-2011 04:56 PM
    Talk to people you know in your area that have AT&T. Coverage maps aren't always accurate. I have family east of Pitt and have never had problems there. However, my service in central Alabama has gotten horrible in the past 6-8 months and it's only getting worse. So talk to friends/coworkers and get their opinion.
    02-19-2011 06:06 PM
    i live pretty far out in the country and i don't get many dropped calls. im always hearing people complain about how horrible the AT&T service is but it all depends on the area youre in. a few friends of mine have verizon and they complain about the data coverage being horrible while mine isn't bad at all. when i lived in southern california a friend of mine and i were out in the canyons and while her verizon phone had no service at all... my AT&T phone had a signal with 2 bars. i had verizon many years ago and i can't complain about their service when its good... but it seems like when its bad, its BAD.
    04-13-2011 03:21 PM
    As for phones the best android phone out right now is the Thunderbolt on Verizon.

The Atrix was a flop, either get Inspire, Infuse (when it comes out), or LG Thrill (when it comes out) if you go with AT&T.
    04-13-2011 04:25 PM
    I switched recently to Verizon from AT&T because my company pays for my phone and they have a deal with Verizon. I have much worse reception and poorer voice quality with Verizon than I did with AT&T. As many posters have pointed out, it just depends on where you are as to who has the better coverage. You can't go by generalizations about one carrier being superior and another totally bad.
    07-12-2011 11:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD