I work in an area with no coverage and it seems like all the other carriers allow this now

Posted via the Android Central App
    UDPGuy likes this.
    05-21-2015 11:07 AM
    I work in an area with no coverage and it seems like all the other carriers allow this now

Only T-Mobile & a few Sprint devices have "WiFi Calling" which basically allows their calls and texts to go over WiFi. Verizon has a "Verizon Messages" app that they have for their customers only which can be used on the PC and I believe through wifi on the phone -- not sure.

AT&T unfortunately doesn't support this right now. They did admit they're working on wifi calling as an "upcoming feature" but never really stated when.
    craigrn16 likes this.
    05-21-2015 11:09 AM
    May have to go to Tmo

05-21-2015 12:37 PM
    Wouldn't you be able to do it using a Google Voice # and the hangouts app? I've never tried but I think that's supposed to be possible.
    05-22-2015 12:19 AM
    Wouldn't you be able to do it using a Google Voice # and the hangouts app? I've never tried but I think that's supposed to be possible.
    Indeed. I can confirm this works.

I play with my food
    05-22-2015 01:28 AM

IPhone with imessage. Or download a free texting app

Posted via Nexus 6 with unlimited international data via AT&T
    05-22-2015 02:36 AM
    I just don't understand how every other carrier but AT&T have wifi calling and texting. Do they want their network bogged down.

05-22-2015 07:23 AM
    Att has microcell towers. They have zero monthly charges, If you call 611 and press 4 to cancel your service and explain why they will more than likely just send you one for free like they did for me just last week! Its working with my unlocked Moto X 2014. Thats what I would do.
    05-22-2015 07:52 AM
    I just don't understand how every other carrier but AT&T have wifi calling and texting. Do they want their network bogged down.

Verizon doesn't have it.

05-22-2015 03:35 PM
    You could always download and use WhatsApp....very very very popular app.

Its an internet based messaging app.

Link below

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d=com.whatsapp

05-22-2015 03:40 PM

Calling and texting barely hurt the network. SMS messages piggy back on the keep alive signal from your phone to the tower.
    05-23-2015 09:39 AM
    Verizon doesn't have it.

They eventually will but you can text over wifi with their Verizon messages app IIRC.
    05-23-2015 09:40 AM
    They eventually will but you can text over wifi with their Verizon messages app IIRC.
    Yeah I know, I just hate hearing "every carrier has this or that" when not every carrier has everything. Just annoys me lol

05-24-2015 10:27 AM
    Yeah I know, I just hate hearing "every carrier has this or that" when not every carrier has everything. Just annoys me lol

There is nothing wrong with it -- he thought they all had this capability. I just let him know that 2 carriers do have it and Verizon has it via their app. Everyone doesn't know everything -- hence why we have the forums .
    craigrn16 likes this.
    05-24-2015 11:31 PM