Could this warrent a FCC complaint?

Mesty

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
This is kind of a long story so I will try to keep it as short as possible.

About a month and a half ago, I got stationed in Italy. I had my new S7 put on military suspension and requested to have my phone unlocked via the military clause with AT&T. I don't remember the exact Act, but they basically told me that I couldn't unlock it due to the fact I tried requesting the unlock after I found out about me going to Italy. Makes no sense because I was stationed in Korea before hand when I found out, and there is no AT&T there, and I got my S7 after because I was upgrade eligible. Anyway, they basically told me the only way to get it unlocked was to pay the device off, which was $650. I eventually paid it and tried requesting the unlock. On the website, it told me my IMEI wasn't associated with a phone on my account, even though it clearly was. I then contacted them via chat and got my request in. I got my code and when I tried to enter it, it failed. It failed a few times, and I didn't know that if you enter it in more than 4 or 5 times, it permanently locks the phone t the carrier, in this case AT&T. I contacted them back, and they basically told me it's not their fault, and to contact Samsung. I did so, and they told me the same thing, that it's AT&T's fault. I went back and forth for a few hours until I finally gave up. I contacted them yesterday, and was told this situation was routed up to ICU(?) and that they would get me an unlock code, but I have yet to receive it.

Could this situation warrant me to file a complaint with the FCC? Isn't it AT&T's job to ensure I have an unlocked device if I have paid the device off in full? I want to hear from you guys. you guys know more than I do about this subject. Sorry if the story is a bit jumbled and hard to follow, it's a cluster, and a pain in my butt.

Thank you!

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I have a had devices unlocked without even being out of contract. Granted this was 4-5 years ago now. I only buy unlocked phones now to be honest. Sorry to hear about your issues with att. Normally just tell them that your going over seas and in the past they just give me the unlock code VIA chat.

mike56801

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
I got my Galaxy S3 and S5 unlocked while in a 2 year contract using the online tool. I got my dad's iPhone 5S unlocked while he was in a 2 year contract. But the second I put his iPhone SE IMEI on the website it says he owes money on it because of NEXT. My S6 and two S7's where bought at the 2 year contract but the 2 year contract never applied to my line even when I activated the phone using the sim card that came with the phone. On my S6 and newest S7 I was able to get it unlocked the day I recieved it from UPS via calling AT&T getting the code over the phone.

Mesty

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
Yeah they told me the only way was to pay the phone off in full. They said I didn't qualify for the military clause, even though I did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo